Urchins Logo

Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
SEASON 2008/09

SEASON 2008/09

Ryman League - Premier Division
Saturday 21st March 2009
AFC Hornchurch
2 - 0
Styles 17, Lee 90
H/T 1 - 0 Att.: 610

Click HERE to download Team Sheet

Match Synopsis
AFC Hornchurch
Booking: Haworth
Goal: Styles
Booking: Day
Sub: Goodfellow for Parker
Sub: Butterworth for Guest
Sub: Spencer for Coyne
Sub: Wall for Green
Goal: Lee
Booking: Day - OFF

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

The new era is here, and such was the enthusiasm that the queues backed up for nearly half a mile down Bridge Avenue. Inside the ground Darter refused to allow anyone to pass until they gave her £1 for a fifty fifty ticket. The EastSide was packed to capacity, and the handful of Dartford supporters, who had crossed the Rubicon cringed in terror over the Riverside as the Urchins came out to a crescendo of noise, which never let up throughout the match.

No changes in the starting line up, but a surprise in the away line up, where newly signed Bradley Woods-Garness gave hope to the visitors where no hope existed. Onwards and upwards was the order of the day. Referee Mr G Atkins allowed the match to flow freely, and it was a pleasure to have a referee who knows how to referee. Darts started well, when a long throw from Adam Flanagan was back headed by Rob Haworth, for Darren Behcet to save. But as the noise grew to tsunami proportions, so did the Urchins’ confidence, kicking towards the windmill end of the ground, where herons soared majestically overhead.

Dean Green up to Kris Lee and Kris saw his shot flicked around the post by Andrew Young for a corner. Andy Tomlinson floated the ball across and Young gathered. Haworth was booked for a bad tackle on Jim McFarlane, and was perhaps fortunate to escape a red card, and Urchins took the lead following another free kick, this time for a foul on Mark Janney. Tomlinson sent the ball deep into the goalmouth, super-Mac headed it on, and ELLIOT STYLES scored with the most spectacular overhead kick ever seen at the Bridge, to send the EastSide tumbling down the terracing with unmitigated delirium, Annie leading the bouncing, whilst Lawrence launched himself
Skywards, to the amazement of his sister, over here from Australia. The ground was rocking, and the Urchins drummer moved around the ground, but wherever he stopped he was told to beat it.

Darts, urged on nervously by their handful of loyalists, almost levelled when Lee Noble cut inside and fired in a shot, which Darren Behcet saved at full stretch. Jamie Day took the corner and John Purdie headed away. To the tune of Ten Hornchurch Bombers, the Urchins surged forward, and Simon Parker ran clear, only for Young to make a remarkable save. The ball rebounded back to Simon and his follow up shot was cleared off the line by Guest. Back came Dartford, and Craig Corley headed on to Bradley Woods-Garness, whose shot went over the bar, the ball narrowly missing the packed restaurant just as the prawn cocktail was being served.

Mark Janney went down the right, exchanged passes with Tommo, and hit his shot inches wide of the post. A free kick, and Tomlinson picked out Lee, who flicked on to Parker, and keeper Young pulled off another incredible save as Urchins threatened to run riot. Tomlinson took the corner and Elliot Styles almost made it two with a powerful header, which keeper Young again saved brilliantly. At the other end a Day corner was put too close to Behcet, and he threw the ball out to Donny Barnard, who sent Dean Green away. Dean’s goalbound shot was blocked on the line by a defender the ball deflecting past the post for another corner. Tomlinson sent the ball over and Young gathered well. almost on half time Green nearly played Parker through but Jamie Coyle intercepted. Jamie Day was booked right on half time, which was to prove costly later in the match.

At half time, Max gave away the £100 jackpot, the winner being Ian the Capital League ball boy. The queues for Sharon’s burgers stretched back over one hundred yards, and every single item of confectionary was snapped up in the shop, which was packed to capacity.

A crescendo of noise greeted the Urchins as they came out for the second half, but it was the Darts who made the first move, when a Jamie Coyle run was halted by a timely Styles tackle. A run by Mark Janney saw the defence opened up and he slotted the ball through to Parker, who was tackled by Guest. Dartford thought they were in with a chance when Woods-Garness ran clear, but he was several yards offside. A long throw from Billy Coyne was held by Young with Lee in close attendance, and a Barnard throw put Lee clear. Kris sent the ball over to Parker, whose shot was turned around the post by Gross. Tomlinson found Jim McFarlane with the corner and the header skimmed the post. Haworth broke clear at the other end and hit the ball high over the bar. Then it was Janney on to Parker, with Guest tackling. Guest then went up to join his forwards and went close with a header from a free kick. Dean Green appeared to be through and was brought down by Coyle, who was fortunate to escape a booking. Janney took the free kick and Green went close with his shot.

With Darts pressing strongly, Mark Goodfellow came on for Simon Parker, leaving Kris Lee along up front for a time, and it was Goodfellow who headed away a dangerous looking free kick, and Noble’s follow up shot was well saved by Behcet, who touched the ball out for a corner. The corner caused a few flutters, when a very calm John Purdie headed the ball back from just two yards out to an equally calm Darren Behcet. Dean Green was again brought down and Tomlinson’s free kick was tipped over for a corner by keeper Young, who then rose high to clutch the corner kick.

Dartford brought on Steve Butterworth, who began to open up the right side, and this was countered by Michael Spencer coming on to move over to left back. Goodfellow headed away from Butterworth’s centre, and then Butterworth played a short pass back to Coyle, whose deep cross was headed out by John Purdie. Haworth headed over from a long throw into the middle, and a good run by Coyle allowed Haworth to break through, only for Darren Behcet to fling himself at his feet to pull off an excellent save. Ross Wall came on and Urchins again had two up front. A complex move involving Spencer and Lee ended with keeper Young saving at the feet of Spencer. Darts were now struggling, and apart from a corner by Day, which came to nothing, it was Hornchurch once again who were dominant. In the final minute, just as the referee indicated four minutes for stoppages, Lee and Janney combined and it was KRIS LEE who hammered the ball home for the second and conclusive goal. It could have been three when Janney went streaking through the middle, and Jamie Day’s mistimed tackle, on the edge of the area, earned him a second yellow card, immediately followed by a red card, and the final whistle went seconds later, and Urchins were left to soak up the prolonged acclaim from the ecstatic EastSide, by which time there were no Dartford supporters left in the ground, as they left a cloud of dust as they headed back from the Bridge to the Bridge. Thirty minutes after the finish, and the club house was still packed to capacity, and the entire building was rocking.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Darren Behcet
Andrew Young
Donny Barnard
Jamie Coyle
Billy Coyne
Adam Gross
John Purdie (c)
Adam Flanagan
Jim McFarlane
John Guest (c)
Andy Tomlinson
Tommy Osborne
Dean Green
Craig Carey
Mark Janney
Jamie Day
Kris Lee
Rob Haworth
Simon Parker
Bradley Woods-Garness
Elliot Styles
Lee Noble
Subs.   Subs.
Ross Wall
Jamie White
Mark Goodfellow
Danny Dafter
Michael Spencer
Seun Eferakerhu
Frankie Curley
Steve Butterworth
Jamie Salmon
Deren Ibrahim

Weather Conditions: 15 Degs. C., Sunny
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. G. Atkins, Assistants - Mr. M. Jarvis and Mr. A. P ope
Match duration: F/H 46 mins. 24 secs., S/H 49 mins. 34 secs.

Ashford Town
Billericay Town
Ryman Prem Table
Boreham Wood
Tour of The Bridge
Canvey Island
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Dover Athletic
Harlow Town
How to Find Us
Harrow Borough
Essex Senior Cup
Hastings United
Player Profiles
Heybridge Swifts
FA Badge
Player Sponsorship
Contact Us
Maidstone United
Fans Forum
Staines Town
Capital League
Sutton United
Tonbridge Angels
Tooting & Mitcham
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
Ryman Vidiprinter
Pre 2007 ARCHIVE
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil