Urchins Logo

Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
SEASON 2008/09

SEASON 2008/09

Ryman League - Premier Division
Saturday 14th March 2009
Boreham Wood
Boreham Wood
1 - 3
AFC Hornchurch
Lee 78
H/T 0 - 1 Att.: 168
Parker (2) 28, 62, Tomlinson 74

Match Synopsis
Boreham Wood
AFC Hornchurch
Goal: Parker
Booking: Barnard
Sub: Morgan for Daly
Booking: Tomlinson
Goal: Parker
Sub: Wall for Parker
Sub: Lee for Allinson
Goal: Tomlinson
Goal: Lee
Sub: Curley for Lee
Sub: Tison-Lascaris for Sylvester
Booking: Anstead
Booking: Reynolds

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Urchins made several enforced changes to the side that played at Carshalton. Mark Goodfellow and Michael Spencer were both not available, and Jason Willis was suspended, John Purdie returned after injury, Simon Parker started for the first time since his hamstring injury, Darren Behcet returned after his gluteus maximus and Donny Barnard also came back after his injury into the starting line up. For the hundred Urchins present, many remembered the lowest point of the season, back in December when Wood won 4-1 at the Bridge. Would this be pay-back time?

Both teams had difficulty coping with the strong wind in the first half, which gusted in all directions. The match was the subject of frequent stoppages for infringements and both sides were not allowed to settle into any rhythm.

In between free kicks Urchins had the better of the play. A long ball up field by John Purdie sent Simon Parker away, an home keeper Anstead did well to race to the edge of the area to clear. Unfortunately the red ball, heading towards the nearby airfield, hit a post and rebounded back into the ground, so the eagerly awaited yellow version could not be used. A long throw by Billy Coyne reached Jim McFarlane, and ex-Urchin Ryan Kirby cleared. Darren Behcet was a spectator for long periods, but he had to field a long clearance and promptly pumped the ball back up the field and Kris Lee back headed on to Simon Parker who raced clear, only to be pulled back by an offside flag, a decision which did not go down well. Donny Barnard was given a long lecture following a mistimed tackle, and then another long throw by Billy Coyne again reached McFarlane who this time was thwarted by keeper Anstead, who palmed the ball away, only as far as Dean Green, whose shot was blocked, the ball rebounding to Kris Lee, who neatly played it back to Green who was tackled by Daly as he was about to shoot.

Wood were awarded a free kick and Watters floated it into the goalmouth. Daly reacted first and his shot was tipped away by Behcet. The corner was taken by Watters and the ball was part cleared by Elliot Styles but came back to Watters, whose cross was punched away by Behcet as the whistle went for yet another infringement.

Urchins were in command. A free kick from Andy Tomlinson found Kris Lee, who almost sent Dean Green clear, only for Ryan Kirby to tackle on the edge of the area. A Purdie free kick found Green, who touched back to Styles, who played the ball out to Tomlinson. Andy’s centre was well saved by Anstead, who tipped the ball over for a corner. Tomlinson took the kick but it was cleared. Urchins took the lead when a free kick by Mark Janney was deflected out by Wordsworth for a corner. Andy took the kick from the right side of the field, Dean Green jumped with a defender, who headed the ball away, just as SIMON PARKER, only a foot or so away, also jumped, and the ball was neatly headed home. One nil and pay back time had begun in earnest.

Wood won another corner, which Barnard cleared. The ball came back again and from the cross Sean Sonner headed over, narrowly missing the home supporter packed behind the goal. The rest of the half was largely played out to a background of incessant stoppages and increasing wind force, so much so that a free kick by Billy Coyne, inside his own half, forced Anstead into making an excellent save.

Hornchurch were kicking into the increasing wind after the interval, but were in total domination for much of the second half. A long kick by Behcet was headed on by Lee to Parker, who had a clear run at goal, until the whistle went for an offside which did not go down at all well with the vast majority of the crowd – the vast majority being decked out in red and white. A Barnard free kick found Green, whose shot was blocked by Daly, who soon after went off and was replaced by Greg Morgan. Mark Janney won the ball in midfield, and played a magnificent pass through to Simon Parker. Simon rounded Wordsworth and drew Anstead out of goal, and his shot skimmed the post, with most of the crowd already celebrating what they thought was going to be a goal. Styles got a lecture for what looked like a mild tackle, and then Elliot won the ball to give Lee an opening. Kris came in from the left and Anstead did well to save. Parker then won the ball and made tracks towards goal, and once again Anstead saved well. Then it was Parker to Janney, who sped down the right wing, but hit his centre onto the roof of the net.

The overdue second goal came when Mark Janney won the ball on the edge of his own area, and sent an excellent pass to Dean Green, well inside his own half. Dean powered through the middle, made forty yards and drew the defence before slotting the ball through to SIMON PARKER, who took the ball past Hawes, drew Anstead, and calmly fired the ball home. Two nil, and pay back was paying back.

Billy Coyne and Kris Lee exchanged passes before Billy hit his shot just over, and manager Colin McBride then sent on Ross Wall, Simon coming off to loud applause. Janney, outstanding in midfield, sent a good pass to Kris Lee, and thence inside to Ross Wall, who was crowded out by a mass of defenders. Wood could do little to stem the flow, apart from a long free kick by Noto which Coyne dealt with and a long cross field pass by Hawes to Louis Lee, which was intercepted by Barnard. Donny looked up and slotted the ball through to Ross Wall. Ross held the ball, drew the defence, and then in turn played a neat pass to ANDY TOMLINSON who glided the ball home. Three nil, and pay back was accomplished.

A free kick by Reynolds was put too close to Behcet, who held the ball comfortably, but Wood pulled a goal back when Styles conceded a corner. Watters took the kick and LOUIS LEE headed home, to complete silence. Urchins nearly made it four when Wall gave Lee a shooting chance, and Kris hit his shot inches over the bar. Frankie Curley came on for Kris Lee, as Wood’s late substitution of Louis Lee was beginning to cause a few problems, but Urchins could have scored again when Dean Green set off on another penetrating run, and glided the ball to Ross Wall, who was clear on goal, until keeper Anstead rushed out of his area and Ross was sent sprawling. One hundred Urchins waited expectantly. The referee, who had given everything up until now, strode over. The only possible decision was a red card. He reached into his pocket, and keeper Anstead waited. What he got was a yellow one instead. With the Urchins totally in control it mattered little, and the keeper had had an excellent match, and certainly did not deserve a three match ban. So yellow card and free kick it was, and Janney took the kick, the ball reached Tomlinson, and his shot skimmed the post.

Correction to Carshalton report – it was stated in the report that ace reporter Peter Butcher wore a brand new sky blue baseball cap. Peter has now corrected this statement – in fact the brand new sky blue baseball hat was brand new, but in only in 2003, when Peter purchased it at the Montreal Olympic stadium. Further investigation has revealed that this hat is possibly extremely valuable, being one of a very limited edition of just 250,000. Will it appear on ebay?

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
Boreham Wood
AFC Hornchurch
Anthony Anstead
Darren Behcet
Billy Hawes
Donny Barnard
Jon Wordsworth
Billy Coyne
Ryan Kirby
John Purdie (c)
Raphael Sylvester
Jim McFarlane
Wes Daly (c)
Andy Tomlinson
Mario Noto
Dean Green
Lee Allinson
Mark Janney
Sean Sonner
Kris Lee
Joe Reynolds
Simon Parker
Chris Watters
Elliot Styles
Subs.   Subs.
Lewis Donovan
Frankie Curley
Reg Morgan
Joe Sweeney
Louis Lee
Jamie Salmon
Corey Whitely
Ross Wall
Reece Tison-Lascaris
Steve Pashley

Weather Conditions: 12 Degs. C., Sunny Intervals, Wind Speed 15-30 mph
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. S. Leaf , Assistants - Mr. A. Farrelly and Mr. G. Gray
Match duration: F/H 47 mins. 14 secs., S/H 49 mins. 09 secs.

Ashford Town
Billericay Town
Ryman Prem Table
Boreham Wood
Tour of The Bridge
Canvey Island
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Dover Athletic
Harlow Town
How to Find Us
Harrow Borough
Essex Senior Cup
Hastings United
Player Profiles
Heybridge Swifts
FA Badge
Player Sponsorship
Contact Us
Maidstone United
Fans Forum
Staines Town
Capital League
Sutton United
Tonbridge Angels
Tooting & Mitcham
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
Ryman Vidiprinter
Pre 2007 ARCHIVE
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil