Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
...Click HERE for Home Page

Ryman League - Premier Division
Saturday 29th October 2011
0 - 4
AFC Hornchurch
H/T 0 - 0 Att.: 642
Tuohy (2) 48, 65, Smith 78, Hunt 90+2

Goals & Substitutions
AFC Hornchurch
GOAL: Tuohy
Sub.: Thompson for Eyong
GOAL: Tuohy
Sub.: Hunt for Tuohy
GOAL: Smith
Sub.: Sterling for Hamilton
Sub.: Draycott for Nanetti
Sub.: Cade for Noble
Sub.: McSweeney for Smith
GOAL: Hunt

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Hornchurch are TOP OF THE LEAGUE – not that anyone in Havering would immediately think so, if they only read the back page of the local paper. You may even not know of their existence, but Hornchurch’s masses of away followers are well aware – and so is the town of Lewes, who had a drum and pipe band to lead out the table topping Urchins. And next week the entire town of Lewes is to be cordoned off, with no fewer than six massive bonfire displays – will they burn the local paper?

Jon Hunt came back into the squad in place of the suspended Dave Collis in the only change to the squad. Hornchurch started confidently but things almost went wrong in the first minute when Frankie Curley headed on to Lewis Smith who was promptly the victim of an over-enthusiastic challenge from Matt Somner, who escaped with a lengthy finger wagging session. Lewis took several minutes to recover, and when the free kick was eventually taken Michael Spencer directed the cross too low and it was cleared easily.

The next move started with Joe Anderson, and the ball went from Curley, Martin Tuohy and forward to Lewis Smith who this time was stopped by an offside flag. Joe Anderson was indirectly responsible for the best opening of the half when his pass was intercepted, only for the defender to make a dreadful back pass, and Martin Tuohy homed in on goal. Keeper Fabian Speiss was quickly off his line and he dived to grab the ball right on the edge of the area to make an excellent save.

A Rickie Hayles throw led to a loud hand ball appeal in the home area, whilst at the other end Reiss Noel quickly intercepted when Michael Malcolm took advantage of an Elliot Styles slip. And then Tambeson Eyong linked well with Lewis Smith to send Michael Spencer clear and Lewis Hamilton raced back to concede a corner. Spencer took the kick and Styles headed narrowly over the bar.

The home side had a half chance when George Nicholas fired well wide with a shot from some distance out, whilst a Lewis Smith free kick was flicked inches past the post by Reiss Noel. Lewes had a great chance to open the scoring when a defensive slip allowed George Nicholas to run clear, but Joe Woolley raced out of goal to the edge of the area and dived sideways to hold on to the ball when a goal looked certain.

A Hayles cross was well held by Speiss as Tuohy homed in at speed, whilst Frankie Curley was making his presence felt time and again, and the home side were not liking it at all. Lewis Smith started off on a long weaving run when he received from Spencer but his shot skimmed the bar. A Hayles throw led to a corner but Spencer’s kick was held by Speiss. Almost on half time Smith went off on another of his cross field runs, but lost possession, and Lewes stormed forward, forcing Woolley to make an excellent save from Nic Ciardini.
The second half started with a good pass from Smith to set up Tuohy, but he could not connect with the ball as it rolled across goal. But the only senior team in Havering took the lead when Tambeson Eyong ran through the middle to feed a good pass to Lewis Smith, who was chopped down inside the area – penalty, and up stepped MARTIN TUOHY to fire the ball hard and low to the keeper’s right to put the Purple People Eaters one up.

A similar move moments later saw Tambeson brought down in full flight, and a quick free kick was taken to send Lewis Smith away again, but his time his attempt ended in a corner which Spencer floated too low into the middle and the ball was cleared. Woolley had little to do, despite the home side enjoying a good slice of the territorial play, but it was Woolley in action when he pulled the ball down in fine style from a Christian Manetti corner. Lewes pressed hard and Woolley saved well from Malcolm after Nicholas had put him into a shooting position.

Les Thompson came on for Tambeson, and the home defence was by now rocking and beginning to buckle. It was Frankie Curley who started the move that led to the second goal, when his pass sent Martin Tuohy racing through the defence – a rash tackle and down went Tuohy for the second penalty of the afternoon. Once again it was MARTIN TUOHY who scored with a carbon copy of his earlier penalty, the goal being announced by an announcer who sounded deeply depressed with proceedings.

It should have been three a minute later when Tuohy ran to another dreadful back pass, but Martin decided to place the ball back into the goalmouth for Lewis Smith, only for Steve Robinson to intercept. A Thompson cross led to another Spencer corner, and Jon Hunt – with his plaster cast now removed – came on for Martin Tuohy. And two minutes later it was three nil, when Rickie Hayles sent a high centre over from the right, keeper Speiss misjudged the ball, and a delighted LEWIS SMITH headed home. Lewes replied with a corner which Woolley caught and on came Dave McSweeney for Lewis Smith. By now the ground was emptying out rapidly, as home supporters fled to the exit, and in so doing they missed another Lewes corner, which predictably came to nothing.

Jon Hunt sent Lewis Smith clear but Speiss made a good save, and as the stoppage time ticked away Hornchurch won a free kick ten yards outside of the home penalty area. Lewes were by now so dispirited that they only half heartedly formed a wall. Hornchurch in turn were so confident that hardly anyone lined up for free kick as everyone knew where it was going. JON HUNT certainly knew, and so did keeper Speiss who could only look on as the ball screamed into the net.

At the finish the ground was near deserted, with just the one hundred away following left, all of whom were standing and applauding, in the full knowledge that the only senior team in Havering is top, top, top of the league. We might have played more games, but we have the points, and that’s what counts.

Video Clips by Rob Monger
Martin Tuohy puts us in front from the spot
Martin Tuohy scores our second
Lewis Smith makes it 3-0
Jonathan Hunt completes the scoring
Post match interview with defender Reiss Noel

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Fabian Speiss
Joe Wooley
Lewis Hamilton
Rickie Hayles
Nic Ciardini
Joe Anderson
Matt Somner
Elliot Styles (c)
Steve Robinson (c)
Reiss Noel
Max Hustwick
Simon Glover
Max Noble
Tambeson Eyong
George Nicholas
Frankie Curley
Michael Malcolm
Martin Tuohy
Paul Booth
Lewis Smith
Christian Nanetti
Michael Spencer
Jamie Cade
Tommy Black
Ian Draycott
Aaron Gayle
Dominic Sterling
Leslie Thompson
Bayan Fenwick
Dave McSweeney
Jonathan Hunt

Weather Conditions:  14 Degs. C.
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. D. Spain, Assistants - Mr. F. Meilack and Mr. D. Eaton
Match duration: F/H 46 mins. 19 secs., S/H 49 mins. 24 secs.

All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent.
All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil