Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
...Click HERE for Home Page

Isthmian League Cup- Second Round
Tuesday 18th October 2011
3 - 1
AFC Hornchurch
Hutchinson 12, Ashwood 37, Williams 84
H/T 0 - 1 Att.: 81
Eyong 14

Goals & Substitutions
AFC Hornchurch
GOAL: Hutchinson
GOAL: Eyong
GOAL: Ashwood
Booking: Hutchinson
Booking: Spencer
Booking: Collis - OFF
Sub.: Lumsden for Thompson
Booking: McDonnald
Booking: Eyong
Sub.: Smith for Black
Booking: Ruff
Sub.: Byles for Parry
Booking: Curley
Sub.: Gayle for Eyong
Sub.: Williams for McDonnald
GOAL: Williams
Booking: Smith
Booking: Moxom
Sub.: Cahill for Barnard

Match Report by Tony Middleton

A large following from Hornchurch – estimated initially at over 80 – helped to swell the attendance to 81. Many came expecting a goal fest. Instead we were treated to a card fest, thanks to a virtuoso performance from the match officials. On a pleasantly mild night Hornchurch made several changes to the starting line up, and Billy Cahill, who has made eleven Capital League appearances, came into the squad for the first time.

With so many key players missing, it was never going to be an easy game, and it was made more difficult as the home side treated this match as a cup final, in marked contrast to the somewhat lack lustre performance from the visitors. There was a referee’s assessor in the stand – enough said.

Kevin Ashwood made the opening move for the home side, but he hit his shot high and wide, but Cheshunt took the lead when they were awarded a free kick out on the left. The ball was floated into the middle, and JOSH HUTCHINSON, left completely unmarked, headed powerfully into the net.

Hornchurch replied quickly. Donny Barnard started the move and played the ball to Martin Tuohy, and it was TAMBESON EYONG who finished the move off by gliding the ball into the net. Cheshunt had a half chance shortly afterwards, when Hutchinson raced through to a long clearance, forcing Joe Woolley to run outside his area to kick clear.

Hornchurch had a great chance to go ahead when Les Thompson, in the starting line up for the first time, went speeding through the home defence, but he hit his shot high over the bar. The ball disappeared into the night.
At the other end Woolley saved from Hutchinson, whilst Les Thompson almost found the net with a more difficult opening but was foiled by Joe Wright, who made a good save to keep the ball out. Tambeson Eyong took a pass from Elliot Styles and sent the ball in to Dave Collis, who was unable to get a shot in, being crowded out by three defenders.

Hornchurch continued to dominate but could not find a way through, and the home keeper was rarely troubled, and then Cheshunt took the lead when Joe Woolley came racing out of his goal for a ball that he was never going to win. KEVIN ASHWOOD won the race to the ball, but was forced out almost to the corner flag. He then tried a speculative lobbed shot towards the empty net and the ball surprised just about everyone in the ground by dropping neatly under the cross bar. Close to half time out came the start of the card fest – Hutchinson was the first, shortly followed by a surprised Michael Spencer, and then Frankie Curley – or Curley Frankie as he was listed on the team sheet – sent over a good cross in the direction of Martin Tuohy, but Charlie Moxom intercepted to clear.

Shortly after the interval came the incident which effectively turned the game. Dave Collis appeared to be the victim of a very high challenge, and retaliated. The referee called Collis over. Dave showed the referee the marks on his thigh – in return, the referee shown Dave a red card. Fortunately the home player was quickly able to continue, and no other card was waved.

Wright then saved from Tuohy, and play was again halted when Tambeson Eyong went crashing to the ground after a challenge from Anthony McDonald. A long discussion followed, and both players were booked. Many Hornchurch followers were firmly expecting another red card, yet surprisingly the free kick was awarded to the home side. Jordan Lumsden sent the ball into the goalmouth and it drifted wide and harmlessly out of play.
Lewis Smith came on for Tommy Black, and Joe Anderson moved out on to the left wing, playing much further forward than usual. Hutchinson then found himself clear, but hit his shot high over the bar. At the other end an Anderson free kick was scrambled away. Cheshunt were awarded a corner – the first of the match – and Hutchinson’s shot was cleared by Michael Spencer, and the ball was played up to Lewis Smith who sent Tambeson away on the right, but keeper Wright caught the centre under pressure from Tuohy. Aaron Gayle then came on for Eyong.

The next action was of the sort we did not really want – Lewis Smith was left prone on the ground following a collision with Charlie Moxom, and play was allowed to continue, before the referee eventually blew for offside against Lewis who then needed a long period of treatment before being able to continue. Yet again no card was waved.

Frankie Curley was playing in the unaccustomed position of centre half, and when he mistimed a header and handled the ball instead, out came the almost inevitable yellow card, followed by a free kick, which came to nothing. It was apparent by now that Hornchurch were not going to be able to get back into the game, and Cheshunt went further ahead when Lewis Smith embarked on a long solo cross field run inside his own half and was dispossessed. The ball was quickly played through to JORDAN WILLIAMS who ran on to score, sending the handful of home supporters wild with delight.

Hutchinson had another opportunity a couple of minutes later but hit his shot high and over the bar. Billy Cahill came on for Donny Barnard, and was in action when he stopped a good run by Jordan Lumsden, which led to only the second corner of the match. The final opening for Hornchurch came when Styles played the ball back to Woolley whose long clearance allowed Tuohy to run through, but Nick Thorogood tackled to avert the danger.
There had been over ten minutes of stoppages – mainly due to a series of long lectures, bookings, more bookings, and players needing treatment – yet only four minutes were added on – perhaps the referee had had enough as well.

Video Clips by Rob Monger
Josh Hutchinson nods Cheshunt in front
Tambeson Eyong equalises
Kevin Ashwood restores Cheshunt's lead
Jordan Williams makes sure of a Cheshunt victory

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Joe Wright
Joe Wooley
Cosie Demetriou
Donny Barnard
Glen Parry
Joe Anderson
Nick Thorogood
Elliot Styles (c)
Charlie Moxom
Frankie Curley
Chris Sargeant
Michael Spencer
Anthony McDonnald
Tambeson Eyong
Matt Thompson
Dave Collis
Josh Hutchinson
Martin Tuohy
Kevin Ashwood
Les Thompson
Sam Ruff (c)
Tommy Black
Jordan Lumsden
Lewis Smith
Jordan Williams
Simon Glover
Sam Byles
Aaron Gayle
Darren Williams
Billy Cahill
Michael Bowditch

Weather Conditions:  12 Degs. C.
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. M. Mellor, Assistants - Mr. M. Sage and Mr. A. Waters
Match duration: F/H 46 mins. 55 secs., S/H 49 mins. 29 secs.

All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent.
All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil