Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
...Click HERE for Home Page

Pre-Season Friendly
Saturday 13th August 2011
AFC Hornchurch
0 - 1
Maidstone United
H/T 0 - 0
Att.: 130
Berwick 56

Match Report by Tony Middleton

HFC – Darren Behcet – Dave McSweeney – Michael Spencer (Manny Sackey 79) – Ronnie Fletcher - Reiss Noel (Ed O’Neill 75) - Simon Glover –Tambeson Eyong – Frankie Curley – Martin Tuohy – Lewis Smith (Aaron Gayle 75 ) – Tommy Black (Ashley Taylor-Forbes 67)

MUFC – Calvin Jack – Femi Omogbehin – Tommy Mills – Nick Reeves – Graham Andrews – Tommy Osborne – Ellis Green – Sam Bewick – Shaun Welford (James Pinnock 71) – Alex Waugh – Karl Knight (Baff Addae 64)

Scorer – Sam Bewick 56
Bookings – none
Weather – 18 degrees, cloudy, wind speed 10 mph
Officials – G Monk with G Horsler and D Markwith

The early kick off had a marked effect on the crowd, which was considerably lower than would have been expected, and only a handful of visiting supporters attended. Hornchurch kicked towards the windmill end and dominated the first half. Tommy Black carved open the visiting defence with an excellent run from the half way line, and keeper Calvin Jack made an equally excellent save, diving to his right to turn the ball around for a corner. Maidstone came briefly into the match as an attacking force when Alex Waugh found himself in a shooting position, but quick reaction by Reiss Noel blocked the hard shot from inside the area.

Simon Glover went close with a well struck free kick – needless to say it was Tambeson Eyong who was fouled – and a first time shot from Frankie Curley curled inches wide of the post.. Maidstone had a chance shortly before the interval when Alex Waugh found himself in a shooting position, but a weak finish meant that Darren Behcet did not have to make a save.

The second half began with two near misses by Maidstone, as Hornchurch struggled to find their first half rhythm, and Ellis Green then had a shot deflected out for a corner, which led to a second corner, which was cleared. But Maidstone took the lead when a long range speculative shot by SAM BEWICK went over Darren Behcet and then dipped under the bar.
Hornchurch then regained some composure and began to dominate play. An excellent cross from Dave McSweeney was headed back across goal by Tommy Black for Martin Tuohy to neatly slot home, but the goal was disallowed for an offside flag. Martin Tuohy fired a first time shot over the bar, and Michael Spencer put over a good cross from the left which went begging. Tambeson Eyong was brought down as he raced through, whilst at the other end Femi Omogbehin hit a shot narrowly wide. Aaron Gayle came on and almost found the net with a neat flick, whilst Manny Sackey came on for Michael Spencer at left back. Despite constant pressure Maidstone held out thanks largely to a well drilled defence.
The referee for the match was Graham Monk who last season was a regular figure at Hornchurch as he is a referee’s assessor.

Manny Sackey – full back / midfield – has played for Waltham Forest 2007, 2008, Maidenhead Utd, Northwood, Lewes, Hampton & Richmond Borough, Bishop’s Stortford, Enfield Town, Aylesbury Utd, Waltham Forest Jan-2011 (eight apps).

Video Clips by Rob Monger
Sam Bewick scores the only goal of the game

All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent.
All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil