Urchins Logo

Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
SEASON 2008/09

SEASON 2008/09

F.A. Challenge Trophy - First Qualifying Round
Saturday 18th October 2008
Maidstone United
Maidstone United
1 - 1
AFC Hornchurch
Pinnock 57
H/T 0 - 1 Att.: 384
Green 36

Match Synopsis
Maidstone United
AFC Hornchurch
Goal: Green
Goal: Pinnock
Sub: Peacock for Smith
Sub:Schoburgh for Martin
Sub: Lacy for Ulph
Sub: Wall for Green
Sub: Coyne for Janney

Match Report by Tony Middleton 
No changes to the starting line up, and a bright sunny day welcomed the many travelling supporters, who were greeted with a green and yellow iguana and a bone hard pitch. The one and only tea bar remained firmly closed, until just fifteen minutes before the start, by which time there was a red and white queue stretching back for yards.

Hornchurch started powerfully, and could have been two up inside the first two minutes. An Andy Tomlinson throw found Kris Lee, who made ground and crossed to Mark Janney, who sped in past Ulph and hammered his shot inches wide of the goal. From the goal kick Elliot Styles headed back to Kris Lee , who this time crossed to Dean Green. Dean’s shot was blocked by Cox and his follow up skimmed the post. Maidstone, quickly came back when Blackman played a short free kick to Paul, whose centre found Saunders, whose header went into the side netting. Maidstone were again fortunate when a free kick was headed up field by Elliot Styles to Mark Janney, who touched back to Donny Barnard, who played an excellent pass through the middle for Kris Lee to race clear, only for offside to be given, a decision which did not go down well with the away support. With Urchins dominant, Styles sound Tomlinson on the left and Andy slipped the ball on to Lee, who in turn found Lee Brown backing up and the resulting cross was held well by keeper Walker.

A Brown free kick went out for a corner and Tomlinson played the ball short to Janney, whose centre was too long and the ball ran out. Green then picked out Styles, who sent Lee away on the left again, and Kris’ cross went begging in front of goal. A long kick by Dale Brightly then found Lee, who nodded on to Green, and he made ground, before crossing low into the middle to Andy Tomlinson whose fierce drive was blocked by a defender.

Mark Goodfellow broke up a rare home move and slotted the ball on to Janney who set out on a fifty yard run which left defenders trailing, before crossing to Dean Green whose shot crashed into the side net. Ex-Urchins Andy Martin then sent over a good centre which Brightly punched away, John Purdie completing the clearance, and although Paul quickly played the ball on to Pinnock the resulting shot went yards wide.

A Tomlinson solo saw Andy hit his shot too high, but with Urchins frequently opening up the home defence, they took the lead when Kris Lee made a lengthy run before sliding the ball inside to DEAN GREEN who carried out a few yards and crashed the ball home. Maidstone briefly got back into the match when Paul made ground, and Barnard tackled to concede a corner. Saunders sent over a high ball which dropped right out of the sun and Dale Brightly did well to time his catch to perfection. It could have been two almost on the interval when Janney made ground on the right, and then flicked the ball sideways to the overlapping Barnard. Donny’s cross was played straight back to him and he sent over an excellent centre which Kris Lee glances just inches wide.

Hornchurch started the second half the same way as they had done in the first half, and this time it was Andy Tomlinson who almost found the net with a free kick which Walker did well to save. Maidstone came more into the match though the closest they came was went Bradbrook’s free kick eluded everyone and went out for a goal kick. Frank Curley then dispossessed Blackman and played the ball through to Kris Lee, who was tackled by Martin just as he was about to shoot. A free kick by Ulph found Pinnock who did well to turn and get in a shot which went across the goal and out for another goal kick.

But the Urchins defence were caught sunbathing when Ulph was allowed to pick up a loose clearance and play the ball back into the area, where JAMES PINNOCK turned and cracked the ball home, with what was the home side’s first on target shot of the game.

This was almost answered right away for Barnard played a good pass along to Curley, who touched on to Kris Lee, who turned and sidestepped a defender before hitting his shot just inches wide of the goal. Lee was again in action soon after, sending Janney away on the right and Janney cut inside and saw his cross deflected for a corner. Tomlinson sent the ball over to Dean Green, whose shot was blocked, the ball rebounding to Kris Lee, whose shot brought a good save out of Walker who turned the ball around the post. Tomlinson’s corner was headed away by Cox, who soon after collided with Ben Lewis, both needing lengthy treatment.

A long kick up the field by Walker found Blackman, and his shot was well saved by Brightly, who threw the ball to Goodfellow and Mark found Styles, who then sent Janney away on the right. The ball was played back to Curley, whose shot was palmed out for a corner, which Tomlinson took, and Cox cleared. Maidstone brought on their long throw expert, Aaron Lacy, who promptly tossed the ball into the goalmouth, where Brightly punched away and another throw in ensued which Lacy again hurled over, finding Martin, whose shot was tipped over by Brightly. Bradbrook sent the corner over and Martin saw his shot go wide of the goal. Urchins stepped up the pace, and when Kris Lee raced in from the right, his shot appeared to be blatantly handled, the referee being content to ignore the massed Urchins appeal and he gave a corner instead. Janney took the kick and Lee Brown played the ball along to Ross Wall, who cut back inside and won another corner. Lee Brown played the corner short to Tomlinson, whose cross went begging. Billy Coyne came on for Mark Janney and took up the right half position, with Donny Barnard remaining at full back, and Urchins could not find any way through in the last couple of minutes of stoppage time.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
Maidstone United
AFC Hornchurch
Andy Walker
Dale Brightly
Nathan Paul
Donny Barnard
Ashley Ulph
Lee Brown
Ben Lewis
John Purdie (c)
Ian Cox
Mark Goodfellow
Andy Martin
Andy Tomlinson
Neil Smith
Frank Curley
Jay Saunders
Mark Janney
James Pinnock
Kris Lee
Lloyd Blackman
Dean Green
Elliot Bradbrook
Elliot Styles
Subs.   Subs.
Aaron Lacy
Lee Hodges
James Peacock
Ross Wall
Craig Thompson
Raphael Sylvester
Seb Schoburgh
Billy Coyne
Steve Northwood
Mitchell Stuart-Evans

Weather Conditions: 17 Degs. C., Sunny, Wind Speed = Zero
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. R. Atkin, Assistants - Mr. R. Albert and Mr. A. Williams
Match duration: F/H 45 mins. 00 secs., S/H 49 mins. 00 secs.

Ashford Town
Billericay Town
Ryman Prem Table
Boreham Wood
Tour of The Bridge
Canvey Island
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Dover Athletic
Harlow Town
How to Find Us
Harrow Borough
Essex Senior Cup
Hastings United
Player Profiles
Heybridge Swifts
FA Badge
Player Sponsorship
Contact Us
Maidstone United
Fans Forum
Staines Town
Capital League
Sutton United
Tonbridge Angels
Tooting & Mitcham
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
NLF Vidiprinter
Pre 2007 ARCHIVE
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil