Urchins Logo

Net Banner

home of the mighty urchins
Ryman Logo
SEASON 2008/09

SEASON 2008/09

F.A. Challenge Cup - Third Qualifying Round
Saturday 11th October 2008
AFC Hornchurch
2 - 0
Green 29, 80 (pen)
H/T 1 - 0 Att.: 473

Click HERE to download Team Sheet

Match Synopsis
AFC Hornchurch
Goal: Green
Sub: Barnard for Coyne
Sub: Smith for Locke
Sub: Wall for Janney
Goal: Green (pen)
Sub: Ross for Agyei
Sub: Hodges for Lee

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Several changes in the squad – Dale Brightly is under suspension and was replaced by Jerome John, who in turn had replaced Lance Key who was not available, Sam Higgins has joined Fisher Athletic, Fiston Manuella has gone to Bromley. Jim McFarlane in the squad for the first time this season, after his run out at Aveley in midweek, John Purdie back after injury, and Michael Bowditch, regular in the Capital League this season, in the squad for the first time.

Bright sunshine, heatwave conditions, ideal weather for the new scarves which had just arrived. Merstham made three very late changes in their substitutes, and also appeared in their change strip of light and dark blue stripes, their normal colour being yellow and black stripes. And the heron was in place, all ready and waiting.

Urchins kicked towards the restaurant end in the first half, and were quickly on the move, Green to Lee, and out to Tomlinson, back to Curley and then back again to Green, whose low shot was blocked by Francis. Dean Green then found himself clear through the middle, and keeper Ian Chatsfield raced out to save with his feet, and the packed EastSide got firmly behind their team. Merstham soon settled, and Michael Morgan sent in a long 35 yard shot which dipped just wide of the goal. Kris Lee then went solo through the middle and Vernon tackled to concede a corner. Andy Tomlinson sent the ball over, it was part cleared, John Purdie pumped it back again to Green, whose shot was well saved by Chatsfield. The Merstham supporters thought they had scored when Morgan chipped a shot over the outrushing Jerome John, but they were somewhat premature as the ball dropped wide of the post onto the side netting.

Elliot Styles won a tackle in midfield to send Tomlinson away and Andy’s shot went narrowly wide of the goal. Curley moved down the right, sent a pass through to Kris Lee, whose cross found Dean Green, whose header was well saved by Chatsfield. Billy Coyne sent a long ball along the wing to Green and a free kick resulted, which Lee Brown hit hard into the defensive wall. Brown again, this time to Green on the wing, and Dean sent the ball across to Curley on the other side of the field, and Frankie’s shot hit the side netting. A long kick upfield by Jerome John found Dean Green , who played the ball sideways to Kris Lee, and Kris hit the bar with a first time volley. Merstham tried hard to get back into the match and almost took the lead when Mark Simmons sent in a well placed header from a left wing cross, which John saved a full stretch, tipping the ball around the post. From the corner, the ball was played back across goal and went out for another corner, which Mark Goodfellow cleared. Styles, dominant in midfield, picked out Lee Brown and his centre found Frank Curley, whose header was well saved by Chatsfield. Merstham were awarded a free kick about ten yards outside the area, and Michael Morgan delighted the EastSide with a hard shot which went high over the bar. But as pressure mounted, a goal seemed increasingly likely, and it came when Tomlinson’s initial shot was blocked, the ball being pumped upfield, where Purdie promptly played it back again, and it was headed on to DEAN GREEN who turned and fired home. Time 29 minutes.

Urchins were well in control and Tomlinson saw his swerving cross punched out by Chatsfield to Green, whose follow up shot was saved right on the line by an alert keeper, who had quickly got back into position. Merstham came back upfield and a Morgan corner was cleared by Goodfellow, but Urchins pressed hard for a second goal before half time, and it almost came when Green won a corner, Tomlinson sent the ball over, Brown played it back to Janney, whose centre was touched over by Chatsfield for another corner, which Tomlinson sent over again, Chatsfield punched out, Purdie put it back again, and Mark Goodfellow’s header was stopped on the line. Right on the interval, Andy Tomlinson sent in hard shot which hit the bar.

A rugby scrum developed in the shop at half time, as hundreds demanded the new scarves, whilst visiting supporters snapped up the badges. Somewhere in the middle, hot and cold teas, pies and sausage rolls were selling rapidly as queues reached epic proportions, whilst Max found a winner for the 50-50 draw, who walked off with £100.

Urchins kicked towards the windmill end in the second half, and forced two successive corners, Vernon heading the first one out and Chatsfield saving the second right under the bar. A John free kick created havoc, before Gunner played the ball out for a corner, Tomlinson floated the ball over and Kris Lee headed home the second goal of the match – or so it seemed until the referee awarded a free kick instead, a decision which did not go down at all well with the EastSide. Donny Barnard, on for Billy Coyne, won the ball on the right and sent Kris Lee down the wings, where Kris beat three defenders to set up Andy Tomlinson, who hammered his shot against the bar instead of into the net. Urchins were now totally on top, and when Curley played the ball out to Tomlinson, Andy turned it back in to Janney, who touched back to Green, whose shot was saved well by Chatsfield.

Merstham briefly threatened, when Agyei broke clear, John saved well, and then saved again as Read followed up. Janney picked out Kris Lee, who shot into the side netting, and a Janney cross was headed down by Tomlinson, Gunner deflecting the ball out for a corner, although a goal kick was incorrectly awarded instead.

At the other end, Francis placed a good pass in front of Locke, and John touched the ball out for a corner. Francis sent the kick over and Goodfellow headed out for a second corner, and this time it was Kris Lee who cleared as the ball came over from Francis, with Barnard setting up Janney who was tackled as he tried to break down the right wing.

A Green cross found Curley whose header was tipped over the bar by Chatsfield and Tomlinson’s corner was cleared by Boulter. Janney sent over a good cross which Francis turned out for another corner, and Tomlinson sent over an inswinger – too much of an inswinger in fact as the ball went onto the roof of the net. John saved from Morgan and sent a long pass up to Ross Wall on the left, and Ross gave Kris Lee a clear run at goal, but offside was given. Merstham were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area and John saved well from Morgan, then played a long kick up to Lee who was fouled. Donny Barnard took the free kick, Wall played it back across goal and a massive appeal for hand ball sent the pigeons fluttering madly around in circles, A penalty was the only possible decision, and up stepped DEAN GREEN to fire the ball home. Lee Hodges came on, took a pass from Green, and saw his shot turned around the post by Chatsfield for a corner. Tomlinson sent the ball over and Chatsfield did well to hold on under pressure. It was almost a third goal when Chatsfield had to punch a high centre from Lee Hodges and Tomlinson followed up, his shot skimming off the bar.

Two nil, and a far more convincing win than the score suggests.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Jerome John
Ian Chatsfield
Billy Coyne
Dean Gunner
Lee Brown
Matt Francis
John Purdie (c)
Chris Boulter
Mark Goodfellow
Crieg Vernon
Andy Tomlinson
Chris Read
Frankie Curley
Michael Morgan
Mark Janney
Hassan Nyang
Kris Lee
Kwebena Agyei
Dean Green
Kevin Locke
Elliot Styles
Mark Simmons
Subs.   Subs.
Lee Hodges
David Smith
Donny Barnard
Ross White
Ross Wall
Joe Hill
Jim Mc Farlane
James Hancock
Mitchell Stuart-Evans
Joe Bouchard
Michael Bowditch

Man of the Match: Elliot Styles Sponsored by: freemyfc.com
Match Sponsor: freemyfc.com

Weather Conditions: 25 Degs. C., Sunny
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. Alfonzo Field, Assistants - Mr. Mark Morris and Mr. Andrew Medlock
Match duration: F/H 46 mins. 00 secs., S/H 51 mins. 00 secs.

Ashford Town
Billericay Town
Ryman Prem Table
Boreham Wood
Tour of The Bridge
Canvey Island
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Dover Athletic
Harlow Town
How to Find Us
Harrow Borough
Essex Senior Cup
Hastings United
Player Profiles
Heybridge Swifts
FA Badge
Player Sponsorship
Contact Us
Maidstone United
Fans Forum
Staines Town
Capital League
Sutton United
Tonbridge Angels
Tooting & Mitcham
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
NLF Vidiprinter
Pre 2007 ARCHIVE
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
buy cialis or generic tadalafil