AFCH Crest

home of the mighty urchins

SEASON 2007/08

Ryman League - Premier Division
Saturday 9th February 2008
Chelmsford City
Chelmsford City
0 - 4
AFC Hornchurch
H/T 0 - 1 Att.: 1455
Brothers 33, Parker (2) 72, 81, Curley 74

Match Synopsis
Chelmsford City
AFC Hornchurch
Sub: Knight for Oates
Booking: Tomlinson
Goal: Brothers
Booking: Curley
Booking: Berquez - OFF
Booking: Styles
Sub: Ibe for Lawson
Sub: Noto for Ainsley
Booking: Duffy
Sub: Green for Richards
Goal: Parker
Goal: Curley
Goal: Parker
Sub: Mackie for Purdie
Sub: Wall for Parker

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Saturday 9th February 2008
CC – Danny Gay – Greg Oates – Chris Duffy – Andy Duncan © - Steve Ward – Jamie England – Ollie Berquez – Stuart Ainsley – James Lawson – Bert Brayley – Ricky Holmes
Subs – Kezie Ibe for Lawson 54 – Spencer Knight for Oates 11 – Mario Noto for Ainsley 67 – Dean Palmer – Ashley Harrison

FC - Dale Brightly – Donny Barnard – Danny Glozier – John Purdie © - Richard Goddard  – Elliot Styles – Frankie Curley – Jamie Richards – Simon Parker – Michael Brothers – Andy Tomlinson
Subs – Harry Elmes – Ross Wall for Parker 86 - Dean Green for Richards 71 - John Mackie for Purdie 84 – Michael Ramkin

Socrers – Michael Brothers 33 – Simon Parker 72 – Frankie Curley 74 – Simon Parker 81
Attendance 1455 – 300 from Hornchurch
Weather – heat wave conditions – 12 degrees and bright sunshine, gentle 5 mph breeze
Duration – 47.03 + 47.30
Officials – A Degnarain with J Mitchell and S Franklin
Bookings – Tomlinson 28 (H) – Curley 39 (H) – Berquez 50 (C ) OFF – Styles 50 (H) – Duffy 69 (C )

This is it – the visit to the runaway leaders. Key in the SatNav – minor problem, they had got their post code wrong and we ended up almost three miles away. Ask a local – we ask, and she flees the scene, uttering ‘never heard of any football club here’, slams the door shut and down comes the shutters – key in Solarno Way and this works. We arrive somewhere in the middle of nowhere, passing the Old Chelmsfordians ground in the process, and are greeted with a Car park ‘full’ sign, but we go in anyway. Plenty of spaces, but the stewards tell us it’s full, so we park in one of the empty spaces, and they look the other way.

The pitch is cropped so short it is unbelievable, but it is nice and smooth, apart from some sanded patches at one end. Their mascot is the rare Australian yellow billed parrot, which squawks and flaps its wings as the home side walk out.

For the Urchins, an injury hit squad lacked Des Boateng, Shane Oakley, John Mackie, who was on the bench, and Kris Lee, but Harry Elmes was back in the squad after his long lay off, and Michael Brothers made his debut, having returned from Wivenhoe, Michael Ramkin and Ross Wall were both included in the squad.

There was a minor crisis at the start as there was no sign of Unc or Nette, but they arrived with one minute to spare, and watched the match from the impressive balcony situated in one corner of the ground.

 In neo-tropical conditions Urchins kicked towards the balcony end of the ground in the first half, and started well, Purdie and Barnard linking up to find Richards, who touched on to Simon Parker, whose run in to goal was stopped by a timely tackle from Duffy, to concede a first minute corner, which Tomlinson floated over and Oates headed away. Urchins were caught offside three times in quick succession, and then disaster struck for the home side, when Greg Oates and Elliot Styles went for a 50-50 ball and Oates stayed down, and had to be helped off, to be replaced by Spencer Knight. No sooner had play resumed with the throw in, Barnard gained possession and found Richards whose shot was blocked by Knight.

City had shown little to impress but suddenly they showed just why they are top of the table, when a long ball from defence saw James Lawson race clear and home in on goal, but with Goddard coming across at speed, Lawson’s shot went wide of the goal. A Tomlinson free kick was headed away by Steve Ward, one of eight ex-Canvey players in the squad, and a Glozier centre saw ex-Urchin Danny Gay grab the ball from Jamie Richards. And it was Gay who was again in action, this time holding on to Glozier’s dangerous centre from the left.

The home side came back well, with another ex-Urchin, Bert Brayley, racing through at speed onto a long ball out of defence, and he was clear and going for goal, only for John Purdie to make an excellent tackle, but shortly afterwards it was Brayley again, this time out on the left wing, sending over a low cross which eluded everyone as it went across the goalmouth. A typical Michael Brothers long throw was headed out by Ward, who promptly repeated the act when Danny Glozier played it back into the middle.

City were coming right into the game, but were let down by a somewhat silent home crowd, but City took the lead in the 24th minute when the referee appeared to be influenced by the crowd and awarded a free kick near the edge of the area, out on the right side. Stuart Ainsley’s left footed kick sailed straight into the net, but the jubilation was stilled when the referee awarded a free kick to the Urchins – no goal, they hadn’t taken the lead after all, and the home crowd were not happy – but 350 Urchins were. Then Brayley again sped through, and was clear once again, cutting in from the left, only to see Dale Brightly saved in spectacular fashion. A long ball from Purdie found Parker, who lost possession, won the ball back, ran on, and lobbed the keeper, only for the ball to land on the roof of the net. An Ainsley free kick was headed away by Goddard, who was having an inspired match at centre half, and the ball went out to Donny Barnard, who played it upfield to Simon Parker who appeared to be surrounded by defenders, but he weaved through, to send over a low cross into the middle, where MICHAEL BROTHERS slotted the ball home, to send 350 Urchins wild with delight.

Brothers again, in from the left, only for Gay to cut out the cross as Richards came in, and City came back, Bert Brayley sweeping downfield only to hammer his shot high  over the top. Brayley yet again, this time finding Lawson, on to Duncan, whose shot rebounded out, and a free kick was awarded about five yards outside the area, which Duncan took, and the ball was last seen sailing out of the ground, to land alongside Bert Brayley’s previous attempt. With half time approaching, Curley sent Parker away, with Gay fumbling the ball which rebounded to Parker, and this time Gay held on securely.

Half time and the jackpot was £250 possibly the highest in the league and a direct challenge to Trigger, who regularly tops the £100 mark with only a quarter of the attendance. Main comment was centred around the excellent playing surface, but many of the away following were openly saying that City were there for the taking.

City started strongly in the second half, forcing a corner after only eleven seconds, which Holmes took and Purdie headed away, back to Holmes whose second cross was again headed away by Purdie. The ball was promptly played upfield and Simon Parker raced away on the left, to send an excellent low cross into the goalmouth, which somehow eluded Jamie Richards when a goal seemed a certainty.

It went completely wrong for City when Styles and Berquez went for a 50-50 ball, and Berquez appeared to kick out at Elliot, and Berquez received a straight red, whilst Elliot was somewhat harshly shown a yellow card. With City a player short, Urchins took full advantage, Richards sending in a good shot which Gay touched over, and Tomlinson’s corner was headed away by Ward. City won a corner and Knight sent the ball over, and Brightly punched away to send Tomlinson clear, with Duncan tackling.

Curley then played a high centre over for Richards, whose header was saved by the overworked Gay, and it was Richards again, taking a long upfield kick by Brightly and shooting narrowly wide., whilst City continued to try and press forward, with Knight’s shot deflecting for a corner. Richards had a shot handled away, although the referee did not spot it, and then Dean Green came on for Jamie Richards, and in so doing the denouement was neatly set up, as City yielded under constant pressure. Dean Green was on the pitch less than sixty seconds when he gained possession midway inside the City half, he carried on, lobbed the ball on to SIMON PARKER, who lobbed over Danny Gay, to send 350 Urchins wild with delight, and of course Simon celebrated as only Simon can.

Seconds later Frankie Curley almost broke through only to be brought down, though play was allowed to continue, but back came the ball, once again to Dean Green, whose cross was hammered home to FRANKIE CURLEY, who sent 350 Urchins wild with joy.

A clattering of seats a mass exodus of home supporters. A handful of yobs made their way around to where the Urchins were standing, but the stewards sorted them out, though many believed it was the look they got from Biased Bob and Mentalist. Three yobs were ejected after bravely having a go at Lawrence, but they were not typical of the majority of the home support. City do not deserve this sort of following.

Michael Brothers, now totally in control on the left, picked out Elliot Styles, who went close, and it soon became four when Donny Barnard started a move which saw SIMON PARKER clear of the defence, and he ran on to slot the ball home.

There was now a danger of crushing at the exits as hundreds left the ground. Simon Parker went clear yet again, but Ward came back well to tackle, and then Knight made ground on the left, cut inside, only to find an alert Dean Green back to tackle, to concede a corner. John Mackie came on for Purdie, and Ross Wall was given his debut, replacing Simon Parker who left the field to a standing ovation. Tomlinson to Brothers, and the shot was well saved by Gay, and Danny Glozier, coming up to play at centre forward – well why not, he had nothing left to defend – hit in a screaming shot which skimmed the bar. Ross Wall found Green, who opened up the non-existent defence, for Michael Brothers, whose shot went inches wide, and the referee ended the match to a near empty grandstand, with just the delighted Urchins left in situ.

Unc and Nette stood on the balcony, as hundreds of red and white clad Urchins saluted as they went past. This just has to be the best away day of the season.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
Chelmsford City
AFC Hornchurch
Danny Gay
Dale Brightly
Greg Oates
Donny Barnard
Chris Duffy
Danny Glozier
Andy Duncan (c)
John Purdie (c)
Steve Ward
Richard Goddard
Jamie England
Elliot Styles
Ollie Berquez
Frankie Curley
Stuart Ainsley
Jamie Richards
James Lawson
Simon Parker
Bertie Brayley
Michael Brothers
Ricky Holmes
Andy Tomlinson
Subs.   Subs.
Kezie Ibe
Harry Elmes
Spencer Knight
Ross Wall
Mario Noto
Dean Green
Dean Palmer
John Mackie
Ashley Harrison
Michael Ramkin

Weather Conditions: 12 Degs. C. Sunshine, Wind Speed = 5 mph
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. A. Degnarain, Assistants - Mr. J. Mitchell and Mr. S. Franklin
Match duration: F/H 47 mins. 03 secs., S/H 47 mins. 30 secs.

AFC Wimbledon
Ashford Town
Ryman Prem Table
Billericay Town
Boreham Wood
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Chelmsford City
E. Thurrock United
Folkestone Invicta
How to Find Us
Harlow Town
Essex Senior Cup
Harrow Borough
Hastings United
Player Profiles
FA Badge
Contact Us
Heybridge Swifts
Maidstone United
Capital League
Fans Forum
Prediction League
Staines Town
Tonbridge Angels
Crystal Carpets
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
Cartridge World
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Football Links.NET
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
OpenAir Group
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
Racism Out
buy cialis or generic tadalafil