AFCH Crest

home of the mighty urchins

SEASON 2007/08

Ryman League - Premier Division
Saturday 29th December 2007
AFC Hornchurch
1 - 0
Heybridge Swifts
Mark Janney (pen)
H/T 1 - 0 Att.: 339

Click HERE to download Team Sheet

Match Synopsis
AFC Hornchurch
Heybridge Swifts
Goal: Mark Janney (pen)
Sub: Tomlinson for Boateng
Booking: Tomlinson
Sub: Green for Janney
Sub: Marks for Wareham
Booking: Gillespie
Sub: Rowe for Good
Sub: Foyewa for Lee

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Saturday 29 th December 2007


HFC – Dale Brightley – Donny Barnard – Elliot Styles – Richard Goddard - Jim McFarlane © – Richard Halle – Des Boateng – Mark Janney –Kris Lee – Simon Parker - Frankie CurleySubs – Shane Oakley - Amos Foyewa for Lee 90+1 – Dean Green for Janney 50 –Andy Tomlinson for Boateng 5 – Joe Keith

HS – Richard McKinney – Stephen Good – Danny Barber – Robbie King – Ian Wiles © - Daryl Bourgeois – David Wareham – Adam Gillespie – Stafford Browne – Eugene Ofori – Gary BurrellSubs – Sean Marks for Wareham 64 – Alex Rowe for Good 77 – Luke Fisher – Matthew Batt – Ollie Morris-Sanders

Scorer – Mark Janney 4p
Bookings – Tomlinson 30 (H) – Gillespie 64 (HS)
Duration – 47.16 + 48.44
Officials – Paul Forrester with Tony Goddard and Jamie Garwood
Attendance – 339
Weather – clear – 5 degrees, force 8 gale

Player of match – Jim McFarlane (H)

E/V 3/5


Same line up as at Leyton, and a strong wind sweeping towards the windmill end of the ground. Urchins kicked towards the windmill end of the ground in the first half, although Heybridge made the first attacking move of the match, Browne slotting the ball out to Ofori, who hit his shot well wide of the goal. Urchins took the lead with their first move of the match, when Janney sent Simon Parker clear, and Simon played the ball on to Des Boateng who was immediately fouled by ex-Urchin Richard McKinney, in a manner reminiscent of the penalty he conceded at Tilbury. Incredibly, no red card, not even a yellow one – but then again, who was the referee? Yes, it was Mr Forrester, who was in charge of the farce at Wealdstone.

Up stepped MARK JANNEY to fire the ball home, but it was disaster for the Urchins as Des Boateng was unable to play on and had to be replaced by Andy Tomlinson. And it looked even worst a minute later when Simon Parker collided with Ian Wiles, both players needing lengthy attention. Heybridge came back well, Wareham crossing for King, with Brightley turning the ball out for a corner, which Barber took and Halle cleared. And then Wareham dispossessed a hesitant Barnard to cut in from the left side and his cross was hammered away by McFarlane. Urchins stormed back upfield, and won a corner, which Tomlinson floated over and McFarlane’s header was scrambled away, with keeper McKinney saving right on the line. Urchins nearly made it two when a long upfield kick by Brightley almost eluded McKinney, who could only parry and then grab the ball under the bar as Kris Lee homed in. Lee to Parker, and Bourgeois nipped across to clear, whilst at the other end Browne looked to be clear until Goddard got in a crunching tackle. A corner by Barber was blocked by Kris Lee, back in defence, and Curley completed the clearance, finding Janney who was tackled by Bourgeois,

Barnard made ground on the right, sending Parker away, Simon’s shot being saved by McKinney, the ball running out to Tomlinson whose follow up shot was again saved. Swifts came back again, Ofori crossing to Browne, with Goddard tackling to concede a corner, which Barber took and McFarlane headed powerfully upfield to safety. A cross from the right almost saw the ball deflected into the net for an own goal, with Barnard just getting there in time, the ball rebounding to Wareham whose shot was blocked, the ball then rebounding to Ofori, who fired wide. King hit a free kick over the bar, and just before half time, Brightley’s long kick found Parker, who almost lobbed McKinney, the ball then running loose to Tomlinson who miskicked well wide of the goal when well placed.

At half time the wind increased to a force eight gale, so strong that a herd of barnacle geese were blown right over the stadium, much to Mentalists’ delight, and they eventually grounded at Rainham Marshes, all 88 of them. But the real drama was in the shop, where the bovril ran out. Max as per usual was giving away loads of money, this time £100, the recipient being Sid. Matt and Co deserve a mention for their incredible efforts in selling the 50-50 tickets.

Urchins, now playing into a raging gale, started well, Lee taking Parker’s through pass, only for Good to intercept the cross into the middle, and Swifts went back upfield to win a corner which Barber overhit and the ball went out of play. Lee to Parker, and out to Janney whose centre found Kris Lee, whose shot was well saved by McKinney. Janney was then replaced by Dean Green, who was straight away in action, playing the ball in to Kris Lee, whose shot was too high and over the bar. With the gale now force 12, possibly more, all Swifts had to do was to prod the ball forward, and they forced five corners in succession. Barber took the first, Barnard heading out for another corner. Barber again, with Gillespie sending his shot high and over, the ball disappearing into the distance and going into orbit. From the goal kick the ball was blown back and another corner was conceded, on the right, which Barber sent over, the inswinger being tipped out by Brightley. King crossed to the left to take the fourth corner and Goddard turned Browne’s shot out for corner number five, which King took and Burrell fired yards wide.

A free kick by Barber almost put Burrell away but the ball ran out of play, and then Styles tackled to prevent Wareham breaking through, playing the ball up to Halle, who sent Tomlinson away only for Gillespie to pull him down. McKinney saved a Halle header from Styles free kick and Curley sent Dean Green away on the right, the resulting centre being headed away by Wiles, Ofori brought a good save out of Brightley who promptly kicked long upfield and Parker raced on, and almost lobbed McKinney. With Swifts growing desperate, Barber sent in a hard free kick from the half way line which Brightley saved. The best chance of the half fell to Hornchurch, when Lee was sent clear on the left by Styles, and his cross to Parker was cleared off the line, the ball then bobbing around until King managed to complete the clearance. A corner from Barber at the other end saw the ball almost hit the far corner flag, before Dale Brightley made two excellent saves inside a minute, one from Rowe and one from Ofori. It was back to the other end, where Lee flicked on to Tomlinson who crashed his shot against the bar, although the whistle went for a free kick, reason unknown. Then it was Lee up to Parker, who turned two defenders and cracked his shot inches wide of the far post. And so it was three points for the Urchins, and they now move into the play off positions. On a day when OBEs were being handed out left right and centre, it was fitting that the EastSide chose Jim McFarlane as player of the match.

The other paper report – forgotten its name – does it still publish?


A gale force wind in the second half threatened to turn the match into farce, with the home side struggling to get the ball across the half way line. Hornchurch had taken an early lead in the fourth minute when visiting keeper Richard McKinney fouled Des Boateng, to give away a penalty, from which MARK JANNEY scored, and Urchins several times went close to increasing their lead, with Simon Parker and Kris Lee prominent. The second half saw Swifts forcing the pace, with five corners in succession, and with home keeper Dale Brightley making excellent saves from Gary Burrell and then a hard drive from Danny Barber from the half way line. Hornchurch came forward in the final quarter, Simon Parker going close and Andy Tomlinson hitting the bar, whilst Kris Lee saw his cross scrambled off the goalline in the final minute. Player of the match was home captain Jim McFarlane, and Hornchurch are now poised to surge into the play off places.

NLP report


Heybridge started strongly, Eugene Ofori shooting wide after being put through by Strafford Browne, but Hornchurch took the lead in the fourth minute when keeper Richard McKinney brought down Des Boateng, and MARK JANNEY scored from the penalty. Boateng was not able to resume and was replaced by Andy Tomlinson. Simon Parker twice went close for Hornchurch, and keeper Dale Brightley almost scored with a long kick upfield, which McKinney did well to hold. Jim McFarlane then headed away an inswinging corner by Stephen Good, and Brightley saved from Wareham’s first time shot after Richard Halle had blocked an earlier shot from Browne. With the wind increasing to gale force in the second half, Heybridge had the territorial advantage, with Danny Barber twice going close with shots from the half way line. Simon Parker nearly scored when Kris Lee sent him clear, McKinney rushing out of goal to save, and Parker then turned provider, giving Kris Lee and opening, which saw his shot skim the far post. Five corners in succession saw the home side come under some pressure, with Dale Brightley making two excellent saves, firstly from Gary Burrell and then from Browne, but Hornchurch came back strongly, Simon Parker seeing his goal bound shot cleared off the line from Halle’s pass, and Tomlinson hitting a hard drive against the bar. Hornchurch again went close, first from Parker, who beat three defenders before hitting his shot inches wide, and then a header from Halle was saved by McKinney in the final minute of the match. Overall a good game in very difficult wind swept conditions, with Urchins continuing their upward surge towards the play offs. Player of the match was named a Hornchurch captain Jim McFarlane.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Heybridge Swifts
Dale Brightly
Richard McKinney
Donny Barnard
Stephen Good
Elliot Styles
Danny Barber
Richard Goddard
Robbie King
Jim McFarlane (c)
Ian Wiles (c)
Richard Halle
Daryl Bourgeios
Des Boateng
David Wareham
Mark Janney
Adam Gillespie
Kris Lee
Stafford Browne
Simon Parker
Eugene Ofori
Frankie Curley
Gary Burrell
Subs.   Subs.
Shane Oakley
Sean Marks
Amos Foyewa
Alex Rowe
Dean Green
Luke Fisher
Andy Tomlinson
Matthew Batt
Joe Keith
Ollie Morris-Sanders

Man of the Match :Jim McFarlane Sponsored by: OpenAir
Match Sponsor: OpenAir

Weather Conditions: 5 Degs. C and Strong Wind
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. Paul Forrester, Assistants - Mr. Tony Goddard and Mr. Jamie Garwood
Match duration: F/H 47 mins. 16 secs., S/H 48 mins. 44 secs.

AFC Wimbledon
Ashford Town
Ryman Prem Table
Billericay Town
Boreham Wood
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Chelmsford City
E. Thurrock United
Folkestone Invicta
How to Find Us
Harlow Town
Essex Senior Cup
Harrow Borough
Hastings United
Player Profiles
FA Badge
Contact Us
Heybridge Swifts
Maidstone United
Capital League
Fans Forum
Prediction League
Staines Town
Tonbridge Angels
Crystal Carpets
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
Cartridge World
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Football Links.NET
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
OpenAir Group
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
Racism Out
buy cialis or generic tadalafil