AFCH Crest

home of the mighty urchins

SEASON 2007/08

Ryman League - Premier Division
Saturday 17th November 2007
AFC Hornchurch
2 - 3
Boreham Wood
Boreham Wood
Kris Lee 65, 90+6
H/T 0 - 1 Att.: 335
Samuel 6, Manuella 83, Thomas 89

Click HERE to download Team Sheet

Match Synopsis
AFC Hornchurch
Boreham Wood
Goal: Samuel
Sub: Barnard for Moore
Booking: Purdie
Booking: Watters OFF
Sub: Reynolds for Ola Williams
Sub: Oakley for Glozier
Goal: Kris Lee
Sub: Tommy Williams for Gregson
Sub: Keith for Janney
Booking: Curley
Booking: Styles
Goal: Manuella
Goal: Thomas
Booking: Reynolds
Booking: Bangura
Booking: Thomas
Goal: Kris Lee

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Saturday 17th November 2007
HFC – Dale Brightley - Jordan Bostock - Danny Glozier - John Purdie © - Elliot Styles – Barry Moore – Frank Curley - Mark Janney - Kris Lee – Simon Parker – Steve Wales
Subs - Harry Elmes – Shane Oakley for Glozier 56 – Joe Keith for Janney 76 – Donny Barnard for Moore 19 – Andy Tomlinson

BW – Noel Imber – Ola Williams – Chris Watters - Ryan Moran – Mark Smith © - Fiston Manuella – Marvin Samuel – Elliot Onochie – Chris Bangura – Simon Thomas – Luke Gregson
Subs – Joe Reynolds for Ola Williams at half time – Tommy Williams for Gregson 71 – Jon Clements – Yemi Atta – Daniel Lewis

Scorers – Marvin Samuel 6 (B) – Kris Lee 65 (H) – Fiston Manuella 83 (B) – Simon Thomas 89 (B) – Kris Lee 90+6 (H)

Bookings – Purdie 31 (H) – Watters 45+1 OFF (B) – Curley 78 (H) – Styles 82 (H) Reynolds 90+4 (B) – Bangura 90+5 (B) – Thomas 90+5 (B)
Steve Wales also appeared to be booked on 71 mins, but no card was waved.

Duration – 49.56 + 51.41
Weather – 13 degrees and cloudy at start, 6 degrees and clear at finish, rain during second half. Wind speed – 5 mph

Officials – J Magill with M MacKay and C Allen

Attendance 335

Three newly signed players in the starting line up – Barry Moore on loan from Cambridge City, Frank Curley from Redbridge, and Steve Wales from Bromley. An impressive start, newcomer Curley winning the ball in midfield and playing a ground pass through to Simon Parker, who was just beaten to the ball by the outrushing Imber, who kicked wildly away. It takes time for newcomers to gel with the rest of the team, and this was apparent when Onochie was given too much room on the left, but a quick reacting Bostock turned his cross out for a corner, which Williams took, and although no one picked up Moran, his header was wide of the goal. Wood took a sixth minute lead when Bangura’s low cross from the left found and unmarked MARVIN SAMUEL who slotted the ball home. Urchins came back strongly, Glozier’s free kick finding Kris Lee, whose shot brought a fine save from keeper Imber. Another move involving Glozier saw his centre headed goalwards by Lee, Imber saving. A run by Barry Moore turned into disaster when he went down injured and had to be replaced by Donny Barnard.

Urchins’ two remaining newcomers began to slot in well, but any cohesion was hindered by the lack of interaction between the match officials, several flags being ignored or overrulled. A Parker run looked dangerous, Simon laying the ball back to Bostock, thence on to Barnard, looking far happier with Wales in midfield, and Donny’s pass to Wales saw the resultant left footed centre being headed over by Lee. Then it was Lee to a very impressive Wales, whose hard drive beat keeper Imber but went wide of the post. With play in midfield, the referee then whistled, walked slowly back to John Purdie, booked him, and awarded an indirect free kick, presumably for dissent, just twelve yards out. Bangura touched the ball to Onochie, whose shot hit the wall and went out for a corner.

A long pass from Janney to Wales ended with a timely tackle by Watters, and when Lee went clear on the left, his cross to Janney saw Mark with what appeared to be an open goal, but keeper Imber saved the shot, to prevent what should have been a certain goal. Janney then embarked on a fine run from the inside left position, finding Barnard with his pass, and then on to Wales, who fired his shot wide.  A Boreham Wood breakaway saw Smith find Onochie, whose shot was high and wide. Another build up involving Wales saw Steve run on and slot the ball inside to Parker, his shot again bringing a good save out of Imber. Then it happened – Simon Parker went streaking through the middle, heading in full flight towards goal, only to be scythed down by Watters, who was sent off, but the damage had been done – a certain goal turned into a free kick, and Glozier’s shot hit the wall and was cleared. Back again, this time Janney finding Wales, whose centre went for a corner. Janney took the kick and Parker headed over.

Half time – main talking point was the disgraceful tackle which prevented Simon from scoring, and a feeling of optimism that things were looking up. It certainly was for one Urchin supporter who walked off with the £80 jackpot prize.

Second half, and Urchins kicking towards the restaurant end of the ground. Straight down the field and a corner from Janney found Lee, whose shot was stopped on the line by Smith. Back to Donny Barnard, a good run through the defence, followed by a lobbed shot, almost in slow motion, with the ball eluding the keeper and then dropping tantalisingly inches wide of the post. A Bostock inspired move and another corner, the ball coming over to Lee, whose header was handled on the line – flag up – penalty – well no, the referee once again ignored the flag and allowed play to proceed. Shane Oakley came on for Danny Glozier, with formation being switched to three now up front, and almost immediately Shane was put through on the left by Styles, his centre being held by Imber. A rare Wood breakaway ended in a corner which Reynolds put behind, and the equaliser came when Steve Wales crossed the ball in from the right and Parker’s shot was blocked, with KRIS LEE following up to score.

Play was punctuated by some blatant and unchecked time wasting, and Urchins lost some of their rhythm, although a good run by Janney ended with a neat pass out to Curley, who touched back to Lee, with Imber saving well. Wood took advantage of the necessity for Urchins to force the pace upfield to mount some attacks of their own, winning three corners in quick succession, all taken by Reynolds and all punched away by Brightley. Two penalty appeals were ignored, the first for hand ball, and the second for a push on Parker - on both occasions the linesman flagged, but play was allowed to continue. When the referee awarded Wood a free kick near the half way line following a tackle by Styles, it was something of a surprise that the referee waved a yellow card for what did not look like a foul – earlier the referee had appeared to book Steve Wales, but did not wave a card, so it is unclear if he was actually booked – and a free kick resulted, which found FISTON MANUELLA whose shot went in slowly off the post. Another free kick followed, which Reynolds hit wide, and Wood scored again when SIMON THOMAS fired in a hard shot from the edge of the area. Urchins came back again, and the referee booked three Boreham Wood players in succession, and from the free kick, KRIS LEE turned to fire the ball home. Any hope of a comeback was thwarted when the final whistle went second later, with only seven minutes being added on.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Boreham Wood
Dale Brightly
Noel Imber
Jordan Bostock
Ola Williams
Danny Glozier
Chris Watters
John Purdie (c)
Ryan Moran
Elliot Styles
Mark Smith (c)
Barry Moore
Fiston Manuella
Frankie Curley
Marvin Samuel
Mark Janney
Elliot Onochie
Kris Lee
Chris Bangura
Simon Parker
Simon Thomas
Steve Wales
Luke Gregson
Subs.   Subs.
Harry Elmes
Joe Reynolds
Shane Oakley
Tommy Williams
Joe Keith
Jon Clements
Donny Barnard
Yemi Atta
Andy Tomlinson
Daniel Lewis

Man of the Match: Steve Wales Sponsored by: Mooney Racing
Match Sponsor: Mooney Racing

Weather Conditions: 13 degs. C. & Cloudy at start - 6 degs. C. and Clear at finish, Wind Speed 5 mph
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. J. Magill, Assistants - Mr. M. Mackey and Mr. C. Allan
Match duration: F/H 49 mins. 56 secs., S/H 51 mins. 41 secs.

AFC Wimbledon
Ashford Town
Ryman Prem Table
Billericay Town
Boreham Wood
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Chelmsford City
E. Thurrock United
Folkestone Invicta
How to Find Us
Harlow Town
Essex Senior Cup
Harrow Borough
Hastings United
Player Profiles
FA Badge
Contact Us
Heybridge Swifts
Maidstone United
Capital League
Fans Forum
Prediction League
Staines Town
Tonbridge Angels
Crystal Carpets
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
Cartridge World
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Football Links.NET
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
OpenAir Group
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
Racism Out
buy cialis or generic tadalafil