AFCH Crest

home of the mighty urchins

SEASON 2007/08

F.A. Trophy - First Qualifying Round
Saturday 20th October 2007
AFC Hornchurch
0 - 0
Dartford FC
H/T 0 - 0 Att.: 636

Click HERE to download Team Sheet

Match Synopsis
AFC Hornchurch
Sub: Keith for Foyewa
Sub: Lee for Parker
Booking: Flanagan
Sub: Tomlinson for Halle
Sub: Lewis for Hayes

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Saturday 20th October 2007 - FA TROPHY

HFC - Dale Brightly – Jordon Bostock – Danny Glozier – Elliot Styles - Richard Goddard – Donny Barnard - Garry Cross © – Amos Foyewa – Harry Elmes – Simon Parker – Richard Halle
Subs - Andy Tomlinson for Richard Halle 82 – Kris Lee for Simon Parker 79 – Joe Keith for Amos Foyewa 66 – Richard McKinney

DFC – Tony Kessell – Jamie Coyle – Steve Norman – Adam Flanagan – Richard Avery - Alex O’Brien – Ryan Hayes – Junior Kadi – Brendon Cass – Eddie McClements – Mark Green
Subs - Dave Moore – Brad Potter – Yohance Lewis for Ryan Hayes 87 – Tommy Youle – Dean James

Booking – Flanagan 80 (D)
Attendance 636
Duration – 46.46 + 48.35
Officials – J Lodge with D Stobbart and M Burroughs
Weather – sunny 18 degrees. Wind speed zero



John Purdie out injured, Shane Oakley injured in a car accident but thankfully only shaken, Urchins were dealt a further blow when Mark Janney was injured in the pre-match warm up, Amos Foyewa coming in to the starting line up, and leaving one substitute short. The attendance of 636 was disappointing, with the away support falling a long way below expectations. Bright sunshine, almost heat wave weather, Urchins kicking towards the restaurant end of the ground. Both sides started slowly, the first move originating from Richard Halle, his cross touched out for a corner by Coyle. Amos Foyewa took the kick, the ball going across goal, eluding Harry Elmes and being cleared by Norman. Dartford seemed content to defend, one of their few attempts coming from a free kick by Hayes, after Coyle had dummied, the ball drifting harmlessly out of play at the far side.

Donny Barnard made ground in the middle, but was fouled, Brightly taking the free kick, and Elmes heading on to Garry Cross who blazed his shot high over the bar. A Foyewa cross from the right looked dangerous but was hammered away by Avery, and the first real scoring chance, when a long Brightly kick saw Parker racing in, keeper Kessell just getting to the ball in time. A long upfield pass, and Harry Elmes beat Kessell to the ball, and his shot rolled towards the goal, but lacked pace and Flanagan – yes, it was the same Adam Flanagan that once played alongside Sam Bass over ten years ago – cleared easily off the line.. Halle and Glozier teamed up to set up Amos, whose shot was blocked on the edge of the area, and Parker cut in from the right wing to send over a low cross for Halle, but O’Brien reacted quickly to cut the ball out.

A Glozier throw was turned out for a corner, which Foyewa floated over and Kessell held under the bar. The keeper kicked the ball deep upfield and Bostock had to head out for a corner at the other end. Hayes took the kick and Coyle headed wide of the post. Another long kick by Brightly saw Halle touch on to Elmes, and then further onwards to Parker, who cut in from the left, and his lobbed shot from a narrow angle beat keeper Kessell and then went the wrong side of the post. Dartford posed little threat at this stage, apart from a long range hopeful shot from McClements which sailed a long way off target. O’Brien was fortunate to escape with a lecture after a very bad tackle in midfield, the free kick being taken by Bostock and leading to another corner, taken by Amos and played back to Amos, whose second cross was over hit and went out of play. Amos, a constant threat, then raced clear on the right wing, Norman tackling to concede a corner, which Halle took, and Parker’s header was deflected out by a defender for – a goal kick. Almost on half time, a Halle free kick forced Kessell to grab the ball only at the second attempt.

Talking point at half time was the incredible penalty – or non penalty – at Wealdstone, believed by many to be the biggest injustice in the history of the Isthmian League , whilst the new club badges were being snapped up by eager Dartford supporters, one of whom claimed he had found a Hornchurch conference badge  in the stock – ebay here he comes but he will be disappointed, as he had bought last season’s badge. Outside in the sunshine, a happy Tony walked off with the £120 jackpot, the highest of the season.

Bright sunshine again for the second half, but a gloomy showing all round, with few chances, and the away side defending in depth. McClements set up a chance for Hayes, who ballooned his shot dangerously close to the restaurant windows. Halle then sent over an excellent cross for Parker, whose header went for a corner on the left. Amos took the kick and almost immediately had to trot over to the right to take another corner when Avery headed out. From the second corner, Richard Goddard raced forward and his powerful header was handled on the line for – nothing at all, as the referee missed it. (No it was not the same referee as at Wealdstone). The ball was punted away and Green made ground on the left, playing inside to Kadi, who again sent the restaurant patrons diving for cover.

Halle earned deserved applause with an excellent interception in midfield, and his quick pass sent Foyewa away, but the shot was hurried high and into the deciduous trees. ‘Get into them, sort them out’ chanted the EastSide, and they were almost rewarded when Donny Barnard raced into the area, only to be brought down, play continuing and the ball was cleared, with loud shouts for a penalty being ignored. Amos made an excellent tackle and went racing away, only for play to be pulled back and a free kick given to Dartford – a poor decision – which Kadi took and Goddard headed away. A Cross shot was deflected for a corner, and Foyewa’s kick was cleared by Flanagan, and then it was Cross again, this time putting Parker clear, and Kessell raced out to save at his feet. Elmes played a ball across to Cross, but Garry could not control it in time and was crowded out. Keith then found space on the left and slotted the ball to Halle, whose hard shot was turned around the post for another corner, taken by Halle and hit far too deeply. Halle again, a hard shot which keeper Kessell tipped over, Halle’s corner being headed out in a packed defence.

A Dartford break away and Hayes made a long run on the left, with Glozier coming across to tackle well, although a free kick was controversially awarded, but Kadi hit the ball harmlessly wide. Styles to Parker and the move came to nothing, Kessell coming out to kick clear, and at the other end a Green run was stopped by Joe Keith. Parker took a pass from Glozier and hit his shot narrowly wide, and Brightly then held on to a corner from Hayes. In the final few minutes, Bostock tackled Green to set up a home attack which saw Tomlinson play the ball up to Elmes, and on to Kris Lee, with Avery tackling. A Bostock centre went for a corner, which Keith took, finding Tomlinson, whose cross cum shot went for a corner, which Keith again took, this time seeing keeper Kessell saving.

And so, goalless, a replay on Tuesday, the only consolation being that the Tilbury match is postponed.


NLP report

A pre-match injury to Mark Janney meant a late re-shuffle for the home side, who had most of the attacking play but few scoring chances. A Garry Cross shot which skimmed the bar and a dangerous inswinging corner which Tony Kessell did well to hold under the bar were the best of the first half chances. Urchins were confined largely to shooting from long range, whilst Dartford only managed one shot in the first half, a long range drive from Eddie McClements which went wide. Second half saw Urchins step up the pace, and the home side were denied a penalty when a Richard Goddard header appeared to be handled by a defender on the line. Junior Kadi went close with a  free kick, but most of the action was at the other end, where Simon Parker was brought down as he raced goalwards, and a Garry Cross shot was blocked by Steve Norman. Two Joe Keith corners were cleared in quick succession and a Kris Lee flick almost saw Harry Elmes break clear.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Tony Kessell
Jordan Bostock
Jamie Coyle
Danny Glozier
Steve Norman
Elliot Styles
Adam Flanagan
Richard Goddard
Richard Avery
Donny Barnard
Alex O'Brien
Garry Cross (c)
Ryan Hayes
Amos Foyewa
Junior Kadi
Harry Elmes
Brendon Cass
Simon Parker
Eddie McClements
Richard Halle
Mark Green
Subs.   Subs.
Andy Tomlinson
Dave Moore
Kris Lee
Brad Potter
Joe Keith
Yohance Lewis
Richard McKinney (GK)
Tommy Youle
Dean James (GK)

Man of the Match: Jordan Bostock Sponsored by: Kevin Delaney
Match Sponsor: Kevin Delaney
Match Mascot: Callum Delaney

Weather Conditions: 18 degs. C., Sunny, Wind Speed Zero
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. J. Lodge, Assistants - Mr. D. Stobbart and Mr. M. Burroughs
Match duration: F/H 46 mins. 46 secs., S/H 48 mins. 35 secs.

AFC Wimbledon
Ashford Town
Ryman Prem Table
Billericay Town
Boreham Wood
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Chelmsford City
E. Thurrock United
Folkestone Invicta
How to Find Us
Harlow Town
Essex Senior Cup
Harrow Borough
Hastings United
Player Profiles
FA Badge
Contact Us
Heybridge Swifts
Maidstone United
Capital League
Fans Forum
Prediction League
Staines Town
Tonbridge Angels
Crystal Carpets
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
Cartridge World
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Football Links.NET
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
OpenAir Group
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
Racism Out
buy cialis or generic tadalafil