AFCH Crest

home of the mighty urchins

SEASON 2007/08

F.A. Challenge Cup - Second Qualifying Round
Saturday 29th September 2007
1 - 1
AFC Hornchurch
Davis Haule 46
H/T 0 - 1 Att.: 225
Elmes 21

Match Synopsis
AFC Hornchurch
Booking: Parker
Goal: Harry Elmes
Goal: Davis Haule
Sub: Halle for David Lee
Booking: Janney
Booking: Leach
Sub: Foyewa for Parker

Match Report by Tony Middleton 

Saturday 29th September 2007 – FAC
HFC – Richard Wilmot – James Burgess – Craig Vargass – Marc Leach – James Parker © - Jamie Busby – Davis Haule – Dean Green - Brian Haule – Rakatahr Alidson – Wayne O;Sullivan
Subs – Belal Aitequakrim – Lubomir Guentchev – Iavor Guentchev – Daniel Dyer – Junior Adeoye

HFC - Dale Brightly – Jordon Bostock – Danny Glozier – John Purdie © - Andy Tomlinson – Joe Keith – Garry Cross – Mark Janney – Harry Elmes – Simon Parker - David Lee
Subs – Shane Oakley – Richard Halle for David Lee 68 – Amos Foyewa for Simon Parker 86 – Adam Parker – Richard McKinney

Scorers – Harry Elmes 21 – Davis Haule 46
Bookings – James Parker (Hen) 18 – Janney 84 – Leach 86 (Hen)
Attendance – 225 – mostly from Hornchurch
Officials – Sean Feerick with Darren Flanagan and Andy Medlock
Weather – 15 degrees, cloudy – wind up to 25 mph second half only
Duration – 49.20  +  48.44

It took half an hour to drive the last 50 yards off the A406, a collection of road signs under the collective name of North Circular Road. Outside the ground, there was no sign of the film stars who had packed out the car park last time, and no sign of any home supporters inside the ground. The omens were not good – a flock of swans flew past in a majestic V-formation, but to counteract this, Serious Sid was in attendance. The pitch was bumpy and sloping, and Urchins had many key players missing – no Jimmy Mac, no Godders, no Elliot, no Kris Lee. Garry Cross was at right back, Jordan in the middle, and the EastSide solidly behind the goal.

It got worst in the first few seconds, when Garry Cross was injured and needed lengthy attention, before being able to resume. The home side began well, taking full advantage of Cross’ injury and playing down the left, but Garry recovered and they switched play to the left when Burgess played a long ball down the wing to Brian Haule, whose cross was punched away by Dale Brightly. A similar move saw Brian Haule shoot across the face of the goal, but Urchins soon regained their composure and David Lee made ground through the middle, hitting in a vicious shot which keeper Wilmot could only parry and a delighted Simon Parker followed up to score, only for the massed shouts from the EastSide – 150 Urchins in a crowd of only 225 – was stilled when a linesman put his flag up for an offside that was hotly disputed.

A series of decisions went against them, but it was Urchins who nearly scored when Brightly pumped a long ball down the slope and Parker flicked on to Harry Elmes who was neatly tackled by James Parker, to prevent what could have been a certain goal. The closest Hendon came was when James Parker headed a powerful header back from inside his own half and Brightly had to save at the feet of the onrushing Brian Haule, who appeared to be several yards offside, and with Urchins rampant, Harry Elmes was held back when through on goal – no action was taken.

A Cross inspired move led to a corner, and David Lee had the ball played back to him, and the resulting cross was stopped by a hand ball. From the free kick Joe Keith’s goalbound shot was blocked by Green. Then came the goal – Keith played the ball upfield to Simon Parker who flicked on to HARRY ELMES to power the ball home – 150 Urchins celebrated. It could have been two – in fact it should already have been two – when Janney made 50 yards and found Keith in the middle, the shot being turned around the post by Wilmot. Keith took the corner and Elmes saw his goalbound header well saved by the alert Wilmot.

Hendon came back with Davis Haule on the left where Garry Cross tackled well, to concede a corner, which O’Sullivan took and brightly punched away, Purdie completing the clearance. Then David Lee was the victim of a very bad tackle and needed lengthy treatment, on the half hour mark, and with David still off the pitch Harry Elmes dropped back and headed away an O’Sullivan free kick, one of many which appeared to have been wrongly awarded. Cross picked up the loose ball, and ran forward, taking a return from Janney and seeing his header deflected for a corner. Garry Cross was again injured, receiving a very high kick in the face, and again needed lengthy attention – no action was taken. Elmes to Janney, and on to Simon who turned and hit his shot wide. Janney again, down the right and his low cross found David Lee, whose shot was blocked by James Parker. And then, on the stroke of half time, Hendon had their first on target shot, when Brightly touched Davis Haule’s powerful drive over the bar, for a corner, taken inevitably by O’Sullivan, and held by Brightly.

Half time and the main talking point was the many decisions which went against the away side. And one minute into the second half, yet another decision went to the home side, who were awarded a debatable free kick, which was played goalwards, and Brightly seemed to have the ball covered until BRIAN HAULE got a touch and the ball sailed over Danny Glozier and Dale Brightly and into the net.

Hendon, kicking down the bumpy slope and with a very strong wind having sprung up, came forward, but an O’Sullivan free kick was weakly headed goalwards and saved comfortably by Brightly. Glozier almost made up for his earlier error with a magnificent ball over James Parker, only for Simon Parker and Harry Elmes to each leave it to each other, and a golden chance was lost. An O’Sullivan free kick was stopped by Brightly, Glozier completing the clearance, and at the other end, where 150 Urchins were gathered, the massive flag was in real danger of being blown away, but Biased Bob grabbed it just in time. Keith to Simon Parker, and down he went again, and Keith sent the free kick too close to Wilmot. Simon again, this time with James Parker tackling, and then Tomlinson – surely Urchins player of the match – to Harry Elmes whose shot was turned out for a corner, only for a goalkick to be given to howls of derision from the Urchins following.

Hendon began to get on top and there were some anxious moments when the patched up Urchins defence had to deal with some tricky crosses, the wind swirling the ball around. The best chance for the home side came when O’Sullivan’s corner found Green whose hard volley skimmed over the bar, and then Bostock headed away from a Green cross. Parker received an excellent centre from Glozier on the left and he saw Wilmot save well, right on the goal line, the ball running out to Harry Elmes, who fired just inches wide. An O’Sullivan corner was headed away by Purdie and then came the decision which hardly anyone in the ground agreed with – Mark Janney was a good yard onside when he sped through the defence, and with the goal at his mercy, the linesman raised his flag and the referee blew up for offside. 150 Urchins erupted in unmitigated fury - and what happened ? Mark Janney was booked for protesting. Urchins were deprived of a certain goal, and not a thing can be done about it.

A long shot from Burgess was easily fielded by Brightly, and then Janney took a pass from Purdie, sped along the right, and was scythed down in full flight, the offender being given a yellow card only, and a goal chance ruined. Amos came on, to be immediately pulled back as he attempted to break through, and a long Purdie pass to Elmes saw the shot skim the post, whilst Parker again went close. Almost on time Richard Halle was tackled by Burgess as he almost got into a shooting position.

And then the final whistle, and back along a clogged up A406.

Video Clips by Rob Monger

Team Line Ups
AFC Hornchurch
Richard Wilmot
Dale Brightly
James Burgess
Jordan Bostock
Craig Vargas
Danny Glozier
Marc Leach
John Purdie (c)
James Parker (c)
Andy Tomlinson
Jamie Busby
Joe Keith
Davis Haule
Garry Cross
Dean Green
Mark Janney
Brian Haule
Harry Elmes
Rakatahr Hudson
Simon Parker
Wayne O'Sullivan
David Lee
Subs.   Subs.
Belal Aiteouakrim
Shane Oakley
Lubomir Guentchev
Richard Halle
Iavor Guentchev
Amos Foyewa
Daniel Dyer
Adam Parker
Junior Adeoye
Richard McKinney

Weather Conditions: 15 Degs. C., Cloudy
Match Officials: Referee - Mr. Sean Feerick, Assistants - Mr. Darren Flanagan and Mr. Andy Medlock
Match duration: F/H 49 mins. 20 secs. S/H 48 mins. 44 secs.

AFC Wimbledon
Ashford Town
Ryman Prem Table
Billericay Town
Boreham Wood
Isthmian Logo
Carshalton Athletic
Radio Urchins
Chelmsford City
E. Thurrock United
Folkestone Invicta
How to Find Us
Harlow Town
Essex Senior Cup
Harrow Borough
Hastings United
Player Profiles
FA Badge
Contact Us
Heybridge Swifts
Maidstone United
Capital League
Fans Forum
Prediction League
Staines Town
Tonbridge Angels
Crystal Carpets
Ryman League
Ryman Bulletin
Capital League
Cartridge World
The F.A.
Tony Kempster
Essex F.A.
Football Links.NET
Non League Daily
BBC Sport
Sky Sports
Isthmian Forum
Football Mitoo
ELE Junior Football
OpenAir Group
Ryman Premier
Home Page
League Table
Form Guide
League Progress
Match Grid
Blount Shutters
All images and photographs used on this site are copyright of their respective owners and may not be used or copied without prior consent. All views and opinions expressed on this site are those of their respective author(s) and not necessarily the views or opinions of AFC Hornchurch.
Racism Out
buy cialis or generic tadalafil