Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

Ryman League Division One North
Saturday 31st March 2007
AFC Hornchurch 2 - 1 Redbridge
Janney 57', S Parker 89' H/T 0-1
Bull 23'

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Redbridge
23 GOAL - Bull
Janney - GOAL 57  
  65 OFF - Braithwaite
ON - Ositola
  75 OFF - Boeteng
ON - Hahn
R Lee - OFF
Foyewa - ON
K Lee - OFF
Sadler - ON
Cross - OFF
Fiddes - ON
  86 OFF - Bull
ON - Holloway
S Parker - GOAL 89  

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Danny Glozier and Jamie Southon were both out with injuries from the Senior Cup final, and Elliot Styles and Andy Tomlinson came into the starting line up. A bright sunny day with a strong wind blowing towards the restaurant end of the ground, and Urchins began well when Kris Lee pumped the ball through for Cross to chase, but he was promptly fouled and Styles’ free kick went behind the goal. Parker did well to win a loose ball in midfield and he slotted the ball out to Janney, who sent over a low cross into the goalmouth, where Kris Lee’s shot was saved by Daly right on the line with the majority of the crowd thinking the ball was on its way into the net. Fords weathered the storm and Charlie Bull sped along the left wing and hit his shot cum cross across the goal, where Braithwaite found himself unmarked, but hit his shot wide of what appeared to be an open goal. With Fords upping the pace, a Fletcher clearance was played back by Skelton to Braithwaite and he raced through, only to lob the ball a fraction too high and it cleared the bar as well as Dale Brightly.

With Fords roared on by their supporter, it took Urchins some time to recover their composure at the back, and it was a long kick by McFarlane which sent Parker away, and Daly had to rush out of goal to kick clear. Then Cross played a neat pass in front of Kris Lee, whose shot was too hurried and the ball went over the bar, as Taylor put in a last ditch challenge to prevent a possible goal. A very long centre by Sterling caused havoc in the home defence, and Bull rushed in but could not control the ball and put it behind the goal. And then Redbridge scored. A good run by Boeteng, with the defence back peddling too much, and Brightly came out to smother the ball at his feet, only to see the ball squirm away from his hands, and CHARLIE BULL was first onto the loose ball to put the visitors in front, to the obvious delight of his fan club.

Urchins struggled against the increasing wind, but it was a long kick by Brightly which found Janney and he raced along the touchline and side footed the ball to the overlapping Fletcher who found Tomlinson who was fouled by Boeteng, with the East Side screaming for the red card. Ryan Lee took the free kick and Sterling headed away for a corner, which Ryan Lee floated over, and in the ensuing goalmouth scramble it was Kris Lee who hit the shot inches wide of the goal. Kris Lee then put Parker clear, with offside given. A long upfield punt was easily fielded by Brightly, only for the linesman to signal a corner, which Fletcher headed away, and then Brightly fielded a good inswinging centre under strong pressure from Bull. One last attack, and Parker to Janney, with Skelton tackling.

Half time talk Max dished out the 50 – 50 prize – or at least he would have done had anyone come forward and claimed it. Many commented on the size of the crowd at Southend, and some even asked if a new method of addition had been invented, but the main talk was about the sponsor, our own Ian – it was suggested that he sell his long brown coat on ebay, or better still, burn it. As the teams resumed for the second half, the jackpot of £85 was claimed, the winner wishing to remain anonymous, though it was the same person who also won the jackpot only two matches prior.

No changes at half time, but the wind had subsided a lot. Urchins began cautiously, as Redbridge had looked very dangerous when given half a chance, and it was Fletcher who started what was to be the usual second half onslaught, with a nice through pass to Parker, whose flick on appeared to be handled, the loud appeals being ignored. Then it was Kris Lee racing into the area, with Daly doing well to reach the ball first. Cross through, and Skelton tackled, whilst Parker was given an opening by Tomlinson and he streaked past Daly but was forced wide, and screwed the ball back across goal, when Brown half cleared to Janney who played the ball straight back and Brown headed away. With pressure intense, Cross broke through the middle, and Skelton conceded the corner, which Ryan Lee took from the right and played a short pass to Janney, whose own cross was too low and was cleared. McFarlane played the ball straight back up field, and Cross played it back into the middle, where MARK JANNEY won the scramble for the ball to level the scores, sending the crowd into hysterics. It was all Urchins for a time, Cross being thwarted by Curley and Styles taking up the running with a good cross field pass to Janney, whose centre was hit over the bar by Parker. A Tomlinson corner was headed back by McFarlane to Fletcher who volleyed over, and such was the pressure that John Purdie was also found up front supporting his forwards at set pieces. Skerritt fouled Purdie, but Brightly’s long free kick was overhit.

Fords came back with a good run by Church who won a free kick, which Sterling took and Skelton fired in a shot, to force Dale Brightly into an excellent save to keep the goalbound shot out. Church then conceded a free kick with a bad tackle on Ryan Lee, to the annoyance of the away directors, and to the annoyance of the EastSide as the referee failed to reach for a card, and from Ryan Lee’s free kick, McFarlane headed wide. Ryan Lee was again the victim, this time from Skelton, and Janney’s free kick went too deep and out of play. Tomlinson then took a pass from Purdie and played a long ball to Parker, who could not control the awkwardly bouncing ball. Amos Foyewa was no sooner on the pitch than he was bundled over by a clumsy tackle and Sadler almost got through with a good run, Daly coming out to kick clear. Fiddes came on, as the home side surged upfield, and he played a pass through to Parker who hit his shot inches wide. Fords briefly came into the game, with Curley finding Ositola whose shot was wide of the goal as Styles closed in. and then, when it looked as if a draw was going to give Fords a well earned point, Tomlinson was fouled by Curley, to concede yet another free kick, and Purdie pumped the ball over, and it was headed out for a corner. Tomlinson took the kick, McFarlane headed the ball back down and SIMON PARKER finished things off, to give the three points to the Urchins. It could have been a third, when Sadler went through but was fouled by Skelton and Purdie;s free kick was too long and the ball went out. And now it is 29 matches unbeaten.

Video clips by Rob Monger
- 23mins. Charlie Bull puts the visitors in front
- 57mins. Mark Janney bundles home the equaliser
- 89mins. Simon Parker gets a last gasp winner
Post match interview with the Mencap girls.


AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ron Fletcher
Elliot Styles
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Ryan Lee
Garry Cross
Mark Janney
Kris Lee
Simon Parker
Andy Tomlinson
Amos Foyewa
Dave Sadler
Ainsley Gasper
Shane Oakley
Alex Fiddes
Paul Daly
Earl Sterling
Ray Taylor
Frank Curley (c)
Wayne Brown
Nick Skelton
Anthony Church
Gary Skerritt
Danny Boeteng
Leon Braithwaite
Charlie Bull
Julian Charles
Mirch Hahn
Sam Holloway
Luke Purcell
Tobi Ositola

Man of the Match
Nominated by Leigh Carr

Andy Tomlinson

Weather Conditions:  14 degrees and sunny. Wind speed up to 20mph

Match Officials: D Margetts with M Cook and A Oldershaw

Match duration:

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil