Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

Ryman League Division One North
Tuesday 20th February 2007
AFC Hornchurch 0 - 0 Waltham Forest
  H/T 0-0

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Waltham Forest
  24 BOOKED - Waldron
Sadler - OFF
Tomlinson - ON
62 OFF - Thomas
ON - Nelson
  81 OFF - Kenny
ON - Daniels
Foyewa - OFF
Crowther - ON
Purdie - BOOKED 86  
  88 BOOKED - Oliva
Fiddes - OFF
Collins - ON
Crowther - BOOKED 90+2  

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Elliot Styles was the only change in the starting line up, in for the injured Danny Glozier, whilst Kris Lee and Simon Parker were still out, and Mark Janney failed a late fitness test.

Forest almost took a surprise lead, when Renner’s free kick from 30 yards out brought a magnificent save from Dale Brightly, who promptly hit a long upfield clearance which forced Willis to rush out of his area to kick clear from Sadler. Urchins had the better of the play, and it took a good interception by Daniels to keep out a dangerous cross from Foyewa. Forest won a corner, which was taken by Kenny, who took most of the set pieces, and McFarlane headed away. The match settled down and a good pass from Southon found Fiddes who touched on to Sadler, whose goalward run was foiled by a Waldron tackle which earned him a booking. Foyewa took the free kick, and McFarlane rose well to force Willis into a fine save.

Forest almost caught the home defence by surprise when Honeyball took a free kick almost on the half way line, and hammered the ball hard over the bar from 50 yards out, but for the most part the visitors were packing their defence and Urchins were having difficulty in finding a way through. Another Foyewa free kick was floated in, with Sadler not quite able to reach the ball which was palmed away by Willis and promptly played back again to Cross, who made a solo run through the middle, his shot being blocked by Oliva. With Urchins stepping up the pace, a Purdie free kick was well fielded by Willis, whilst Sadler headed wide following a good run and centre by Styles. With Southon winning the majority of midfield balls, the Forest were penned back, and a good through ball from Fletcher was parried, and the ball was played back to Fletcher, whose first time touch found Foyewa. Amos crossed well into the middle and Sadler just failed to get a touch. Amos again, this time fouled by Waldron, and from the free kick McFarlane’s header was saved by Willis. A Purdie free kick was headed on by McFarlane and Sadler hit his shot narrowly wide, and then Southon combined with Cross to send Foyewa away, with the resulting centre being over hit and cleared comfortably.

Purdie to Fletcher, who played the ball into the middle, where Sadler scooped his shot high over the bar. In a rare break away, Oyebanjo hit in a good shot which ricocheted away for a corner, which Kenny floated over and Brightly held under some pressure. As half time approached, Fiddes and Foyewa combined well, the centre from Foyewa being scrambled away, and then Styles gave Gasper an opening, and Ainsley touched the ball on to Sadler who forced Willis into a good save to keep the ball out. It was Willis again who then held on to a good centre from Foyewa right on the interval.

Max handed out the £65 fifty fifty jackpot at the interval, and his usual patter of witty comments sent most of the crowd scurrying for the relative sanctuary of the bar and club shop. Urchins came out for the second half in a determined fashion, Fletcher forcing the pace with a good through pass to Foyewa on the right wing. Amos gained 60 yards with a long run, which saw him twice recover the ball after almost losing it, and then he played a perfect pass into the middle, where Gasper tried an overhead kick which went wide of the mark.

Daniels then headed away from a long Purdie free kick, and a Gasper run took him past three defenders before he was crowded out. Andy Tomlinson came on for Sadler and was soon in action when Foyewa won a corner, which Andy took, McFarlane’s header being hooked away, but the ball was returned into the middle, where Styles saw his shot deflected for another corner. Tomlinson again took the kick and the ball was scrambled away for a third corner, which Amos this time sent over. Another scramble in front of goal, and it was corner number four, which Amos again took, this time an inswinger which was headed out for a fifth corner inside two minutes, but this time Foyewa hit the kick too far over and Styles could not reach it before it ran out.

Forest defended strongly in the face of constant pressure, with Willis saving well at the feet of Foyewa who had burst through the middle, and then Willis repeated the feat, this time at the feet of Fletcher who had come up to join in the attack. A Foyewa run was stopped by Waldron, which earned another free kick, Purdie’s long kick being fielded by Willis, and then Foyewa broke through but hit his shot wide of the goal. With time running out Billy Crowther came on to make his debut, and was sent up front, to play at centre forward. He almost got onto the end of a long Purdie free kick, and then the ball was played back, finding Purdie in the unusual position of outside right, where he sent in a good cross which Willis held, with Crowther homing in. In a rare break, Oyebanjo hit in a good shot which went wide of the post, only for the referee to award a corner, much to everyone’s surprise, and then he booked Purdie for protesting. Dave Collins came on, and his first touch was to take a free kick, the ball being deflected out for a corner, and Collins took the kick, and McFarlane headed onwards, but the ball was half cleared and returned to Collins, whose cross was headed out by Daniels, the final whistle then going to give a very jubilant Forest an unexpected point.

Video clips by Rob Monger
Post match interview with Elliot Styles



AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ronnie Fletcher
Elliot Styles
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Alex Fiddes
Garry Cross
Amos Foyewa
Dave Sadler
Ainsley Gasper
Jamie Southon
Shane Oakley
Andy Tomlinson
Billy Crowther
Dave Collins
Rhys Madden
GK 17
Waltham Forest
Jason Willis
Matthew Waldron
Danny Honeyball
Ryan Oliva (c)
Theo Daniels
Lanre Oyebanjo
Danny Kenny
Andrew Thomas
Shaun Evans
Victor Renner
Nathan Smith
Kareem Imbert
Ashley Daniels
Marlon Boateng
Jeff Hammond
Sid Nelson

Man of the Match
Nominated by The Supporters Club

Dale Brightly

Weather Conditions: 8 degrees - cloudy. Wind speed 5mph 

Match Officials: Tony Mason wiht Kirk English and Dave Raval

Match duration: First half 45mins 12secs. Second half 47mins 44secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil