Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

Ryman League Division One North
Tuesday 23rd January 2007
Wingate & Finchley 1 - 1 AFC Hornchurch
West 85' H/T 0-1
Att: 85
S Parker 11

Match Highlights
Wingate & Finchley   AFC Hornchurch
11 GOAL - S Parker
  44 BOOKED - Styles
Assiamah - OFF
Bradshaw-Brown - ON
Williams - OFF
Gradioselski - ON
  71 OFF - Janney
ON - Sadler
Ellis - BOOKED 75  
Houdek - OFF
Stanton - ON
Rifat - BOOKED 83  
West - GOAL 85  
  85 OFF - S Parker
ON - Gasper
90+3 OFF - Foyewa
ON - Bostock

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Wingate lies just off the north circular road, and as we drove north the temperature steadily dropped, to minus two. Parking the car, another car drew up and tooted its horn. Out from a nearby house came the potential passenger, dressed in a mini skirt and fishnet tights – he got into the car and off they drove. Inside the ground the programme contained a strange looking Urchins line up. Explanation was simple – they had printed the Sudbury line up in error. Once the real line up was sorted out, it was still strange looking, without Garry Cross (injured) and Kris Lee (family illness). Elliot Styles came in at left back with Danny Glozier moving up to an unaccustomed left half (that’s midfield for the younger element), with Amos Foyewa taking over at centre forward.

Palm trees waved in the 15 mph breeze, and giant penguins flew overhead along with albatrosses, whilst polar bears sunned themselves under some of the best floodlights in the league. Trees and hedges lined the side of the ground, and also blocked out two of the corners, whilst in the distance the yellow lights from McDonalds glowed icily. Wingate, with very little indication of Finchley anywhere in the ground, started well, a long pass from the left finding O’Brien who touched back to Houdek, but his centre cum shot was vastly overhit. Another through pass to O’Brien, and Elliot Styles tackled, to play the ball up to Glozier who was brought down in full flight by O’Brien, who had ran back to cover. Purdie took the kick, and Janney homed in, and then cracked his shot wide of the goal, which loomed invitingly. Osei then made ground on the left, and played the ball in to O’Brien, whose lengthy run ended when Styles shielded the ball out of play. But Urchins began to look confident and Tomlinson found Parker on the right, took the return and his cross was deflected out for a corner, which Andy took, touched short to Janney whose centre was blocked by Amarteifo for a second corner. Tomlinson again, Janney back to Andy, and SIMON PARKER headed home from the resulting cross to send fifty Urchins in the estimated 120 crowd wild with delight, and the palm tress waving in unison.

Urchins again, Glozier putting over a good centre and Wingate survived a loud hand ball appeal from the massed Urchins behind the goal. Back came the ball to Glozier, over it came again, and Amos zoomed in but was called offside. Then a great through pass by Southon found Parker who raced away, lobbed the keeper and the ball dropped the wrong side of the goal as the whistle went for offside. A Purdie free kick found McFarlane, whose header went close, Thompson touching away for a corner, and then Styles pumped a long pass up to Foyewa who chased after the ball and won a corner, Houdek tackling as the ball was played across. Then it was Styles to Southon and Ellis did well to intercept. The one way traffic was temporarily halted when Thompson played a long kick up to Williams, whose cross was headed out by McFarlane for a corner. O’Brien disappeared behind the palm trees to take the corner and Styles headed out, O’Brien played it back and Southon cleared.

Foyewa found Parker and thence to Janney, who raced clear with only the keeper to beat, but with fifty Urchins all shouting ‘goal’ the ball went wide. An Assiamah cross was headed out by Southon for a corner, and O’Brien once again took the kick, Brightly fielding the ball easily. Foyewa then found himself up front with no one supporting, and he twisted and turned before firing in a shot which skimmed the post. Styles to Foyewa, and then in to Parker, with Helman clearing. Almost on the interval, Styles was unjustly booked for what looked a perfectly correct tackle, but the free kick was put straight at Brightly.

Half time, and into the igloo for a few minutes. Several people tried in vain to find any mention of Hornchurch in the programme, but instead found a very interesting and lengthy history of Wingate, Finchley and then of the two merged clubs. The tea bar did a good trade, with the best tea so far this season at an away ground. Main talking point was who was the Wingate player who had a number one hit in the 50s. The only clue was that he was a tower of strength in the Wingate team.

Foyewa began the second half with a good run to win a corner. Tomlinson took the kick and played the ball short to Janney who won another corner. Tomlinson again, but just too long for McFarlane to reach, but the ball came back, Fletcher to Janney, Janney to Parker who cut in and shot, the ball being well saved by Thompson. Glozier then centred, and got the ball back again, this time crossing to Foyewa who was pulled back for offside. Wingate had some territorial advantage of their own, but screwed up over a free kick, when Osei, O’Brien and Ellis all buzzed around the ball, the latter, after what seemed like ages, eventually banging the ball over the bar into the trees. Wingate again, Houdek making ground with a long run, then playing the ball back to Assiamah, who touched back to Houdek, who then proceeded to hit the ball high and out the ground. And then it was Rifat who came forward, but the ball was cleared up to Parker whose cross into the goalmouth had no one up far enough to reach. On came Dave Sadler for Janney, and he played up front, but did not get particularly good service. But it was Sadler’s pass to Parker which won a corner and Glozier played the ball high into the goalmouth where both McFarlane and Fletcher were waiting, but neither could reach, and the ball went across to Foyewa who but back inside and powered in a good shot which Thompson saved. Then it was Fletcher to Foyewa and Amarteifo tackled well. A short free kick by Fletcher gave Foyewa an opening and he beat three players before being tackled by Rifat, who needed treatment and was then booked, presumably for dissent. Rifat was in action soon afterwards, clearing when Southon put Foyewa clear on the right. As time ticked on, Wingate levelled with a goal which was somewhat controversial. Colin McBride indicated to the linesman that Ainsley was about to come on, but the linesman, and also the referee, ignored him, and the referee ordered a free kick to be taken. With Urchins in disarray, and Colin seething, O’Brien played the ball into the goalmouth, where, following a scramble, a jubilant CHRIS WEST hit the ball into the net. In the final minutes, Foyewa twice tried solo runs, first from Sadler’s pass, and then from Gasper. Jordan Bostock came on for Amos for the final few seconds, and although Urchins took a point, the decision not to allow a substitution cost them two more points.

And who was the Wingate pop star? Frankie Vaughan of course

Video clips by Rob Monger
- 11mins. Simon Parker heads us in front
- 85mins. Chris West puts away the equaliser for Wingate & Finchley


Wingate & Finchley
Edward Thompson
Tirka Houdek
Guy Helman
Craig Ellis (c)
Billy Amarteifo
Ahmet Rifat
Darren Assiamah
Joe O'Brien
Dean Williams
Chris West
Leon Osei
Dan Stanton
Steve Badu
Daniel Berg
Tashan Bradshaw-Brown
Mark Gradioselski
AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ron Fletcher
Elliot Styles
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Danny Glozier
Andy Tomlinson
Mark Janney
Amos Foyewa
Simon Parker
Jamie Southon
Dave Sadler
Billy Crowther
Ainsley Gasper
Jordan Bostock
Dave Collins

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Weather Conditions:Minus 2 degrees - clear. Wind speed 15mph - wind chill minus 6

Match Duration: First half 47mins 14secs. Second half 48mins 51secs

Match Officials: S Rubery with G Gray and A McCree

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil