Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

Ryman League Division One North
Tuesday 2nd January 2007
AFC Sudbury 1 - 1 AFC Hornchurch
Smith 43' H/T 1-1
Att: 326
Janney 3'

Match Highlights
AFC Sudbury   AFC Hornchurch
3 GOAL - Janney
  19 BOOKED - Southon
Smith - GOAL 43  
  45 OFF - R Lee
ON - Foyewa
OFF - Bostock
ON - Fletcher
  55 BOOKED - Foyewa
Clayden - OFF
Harrold - ON
82 OFF - Sadler
ON - Gasper
Cunnungham - BOOKED 90+3  
  90+4 BOOKED - K Lee

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Dark and twisty roads, sat nav that found roundabouts where there weren’t any, and on arrival, a pitch which was almost unplayable, terrible illuminations which passed for floodlights, and a tea bar which did not open until just before the start, with only one person serving. It was credit to the away support that over one hundred made the trip, in a very large crowd, officially announced as 327.

Sudbury, with no match on Saturday due to the state of their pitch, looked fresher at the start, a long throw from Head being hurled into the area, where McFarlane headed away. Urchins first attack came when Bostock hit a long ball down the right wing and Janney touched on to Kris Lee, and Mundon rushed out to gather at the edge of the area. But Urchins soon went ahead, Tomlinson and Sadler combining to open up the defence and MARK JANNEY neatly finishing off, to send 150 Urchins wild with delight. On a damp, soggy, pitch, it was the home side who began to put on some pressure, without really ever looking like scoring, although Purdie, McFarlane and Southon rarely allowed the ball to get near to goal. A good centre by Rayner found an unmarked Row who turned and hit his shot wide, and a Cunningham free kick was headed out by McFarlane, Purdie completing the clearance. The match was beginning to be affected by the non stop blasts on the whistle, with the vast majority of decisions noticeably favouring the home side. Hammond was in a good position with a free kick, awarded for a non existent offence on the edge of the area, but he hit his shot into the wall, and then a long upfield clearance by Tomlinson almost enabled Sadler to break through, but Boyland managed to cover with a neat tackle. Sadler again, turning the ball back to Ryan Lee, who flicked his pass forward to Kris Lee, who just failed to beat Mundon to the ball. Sudbury came back and Rowe played a long pass out to the left wing, and Cunningham, ever dangerous, touched back to Boyland, whose centre sailed high over the bar.

Sudbury won a corner, taken by Cunningham and headed out by McFarlane, and a good move involving Ryan Lee and Janney created an opening for Kris Lee, with Mundon saving well. Tomlinson sent Janney away on the right and his cross went begging across goal, with Mundon coming out to gather. A Glozier free kick, one of only a handful awarded to the away side, found McFarlane, and the ball was then half cleared to Janney, who played it back into the middle where Boyland hammered it away. A free kick from Cunningham brought a save from Brightly, this being the first time Sudbury had managed a shot on target, despite their pressure, whilst at the other end a Janney cross found Kris Lee rushing in, his header being well saved by Mundon.

Sudbury won two corners in succession, and from the second one, Rowe hit his shot just wide. With half time approaching, Urchins were holding out comfortably, until an atrocious, and highly questionable decision turned the game completely. A home attack had been broken up and the ball was played upfield to Southon, only for the linesman to wave his flag to indicate a foul – the referee was far better placed, and, like the entire crowd, including 150 Urchins, had spotted nothing wrong, but he allowed himself to be influenced by the linesman, and awarded a free kick. Cunningham hovered, but NICKY SMITH stepped up to power home a left footed drive into the net – a well taken goal, but farcical none the less, as a free kick was never the correct decision, and this was conclusively proved when Rob’s video replay was examined at half time.

Half time talking point, apart from the incredible decision which led to their goal, was whether Urchins would ever get awarded anything in their favour. And a tip for the tea bar – how to sell more burgers – try opening up earlier. Amos and Ron Fletcher appeared for the second half, and it was Fletcher who opened up the home defence with a great pass to Janney who homed in and crossed, and Kris Lee almost scored with a magnificent header, although the referee saw fit to award a free kick instead. At the other end, a Cunningham free kick – believed to be Sudbury’s 33rd free kick of the match so far, of which less than a quarter were justified – saw Purdie concede a corner, and then followed three successive corners, two from Cunningham, both put straight back out, and one from Hammond, the latter going invitingly across goal to oblivion (the next field along, famous for the number of balls booted therein).

Amos was booked for an innocuous tackle, the referee’s attention being attracted by the yowling from the packed Shed on the far side, and Amos for a time was somewhat subdued – but not for long, and off he went on a long upfield run which ended with an excellent cross, which no one could quite reach. A Cunningham free kick was saved by Brightly, only Sudbury’s second shot on target, and then Janney put over a good centre which Girling headed out for a corner, taken by Tomlinson and played back to Andy, thence to Southon, who found Kris Lee whose shot brought a very good save out of Mundon.

Foyewa, out on the left, sped away up the wing, and crossed into the middle to Janney, whose shot was deflected for a corner. Tomlinson took the kick and Southon played it back to Sadler, who was pulled back for a dubious offside. The ball was booted upfield and Janney did well to clear his lines, despite a loud hand ball appeal from the crowd – but not from the players, nor from Uncle, whose excellent match updates appeared to be treated somewhat cynically by the home officials and supporters, all eagerly eavesdropping on the conversations. But by now Sudbury had run out of pace, although a good run by Claydon was crowded out by a packed defence. In the final few minutes it was Urchins on the ascendancy, perhaps for the first time in the match, with a Glozier free kick being turned away for a Janney corner, which he then floated across, and Southon headed inches wide. Fletcher to Amos, and Amos turned and played a good ball to Janney who just failed to reach it. Gasper went close, and then Janney played a good pass to Gasper who was pulled back for offside. Nearly five minutes stoppages were added on, but by this time most of the home supporters had left the ground, leaving just the jubilant Urchins to applaud their side off the pitch. A point won, despite the appalling conditions, and despite some unusual refereeing decisions, or was it two points dropped by Sudbury, who, despite their league position, must surely be in running for the play offs once they have picked up their games in hand.

Video clips by Rob Monger
- 3mins. Mark Janney puts us into an early lead
- 43mins. Nicky Smith equalises for the home side


AFC Sudbury
Nathan Mundon
Brett Girling
Phillip Boyland
Luke Hammond
David Head (c)
Chris Howlett
Terry Rayner
Nicky Smith
Andrew Clayden
James Rowe
Danny Cunningham
Liam Harrold
John Pollard
Tommy Bradlaugh
AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Jordan Bostock
Danny Glozier
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Andy Tomlinson
Ryan Lee
Mark Janney
Kris Lee
Dave Sadler
Jamie Southon
Amos Foyewa
Ainsley Gasper
Billy Crowther
Ron Fletcher
Rhys Madden

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Weather Conditions:  7 degrees at start - 3 degrees at finish. Overcast and damp - wind speed 5mph.

Match Duration: First half 49mins 3secs. Second half 49mins 55secs.

Match Officials: Simon Essex with Paul Quick and Mark Davidson

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil