Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

Ryman League Division One North
Tuesday 14th November 2006
Arlesey Town 0 - 2 AFC Hornchurch
  H/T 0-1
Att: 129
Tomlinson 11', Janney 69'

Match Highlights
Arlesey Town   AFC Hornchurch
11 GOAL - Tomlinson
Gray - BOOKED 16  
  39 OFF - A Parker
ON - Collins
  61 BOOKED - Janney
69 GOAL - Janney
  72 BOOKED - Cross
Bridges - OFF
Foster - ON
Arin Fehmi - OFF
Thomas - ON
76 OFF - Lee
ON - S Parker
  78 BOOKED - Purdie
Bloss - OFF
Barr - ON
88 OFF - Foyewa
ON - Gasper

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Five minutes to kick off and the food kiosk was not open – suddenly the shutters rolled down and there it was – all ready to serve – it took eight minutes to serve three people and ten minutes into the match there was a pile of discarded burgers, chips and rolls – yes, it was as bad as that. The floodlights were excellent, arguably the best in the league, and a nice touch was the issuing of a team sheet to everyone who bought a programme. Down side was the bumpy state of the pitch. Urchins had Mark Janney back in the starting line up following his neck injury, and, with a swirling wind adding to the uneven surface, they started well, forcing two quick corners, both by Mark Janney, with Arlesey replying with a quick break, with Kaan Fehmi finishing off a good move with a weak shot, under pressure from McFarlane, which Brightly saved easily. Back at the other end Janney hit a shot narrowly over the bar, and keeper Rashid had to rush out of goal to save when Foyewa almost broke through. Urchins had a minor shock when Arin Fehmi got into a good position and forced a good diving save from Brightly, and then followed the first incident in the match when Foyewa was prevented from streaking goalwards by Gray, who appeared to be the last line of defence. A yellow card was almost apologetically waved, but justice can is best served cold, and from the free kick, the ball was deflected out for a corner. Over came the ball from ANDY TOMLINSON’s swerving corner kick and into the net it went, to send the 50 odd Urchins wild with delight.

Arlesey retaliated quickly, and Bloss on the left sent over a high centre into the goalmouth where Brightly went up with Bridges and needed several minutes attention, and Dale was reduced to half pace and was limping badly. And no action was taken against the offender, to the fury of the travelling support. With Dale very much a passenger in goal, the aim was to keep the ball well away, and Urchins surged upfield. Lee to Foyewa, and Amos laid it back to Tomlinson, who won a corner, which Janney took, and Adam Parker powered a header against the bar. Arlesey came back and Arin Fehmi fired in a first time shot, which Brightly punched high into the air and then Fletcher cleared the rebound off the line, with Dale once again needed more attention – the situation looked bad, and it was some time before Dale could resume, but completely unable to kick the ball from now on, Danny Glozier taking all the goal kicks.

Urchins, with Purdie magnificent in defence, complete with head bandage from last week’s injury, came forward, Janney sending over a good cross and Amos Foyewa turned the ball back to Cross, whose shot deflected high into the air and was handled off the line – needless to say, no action was taken. Cross and Foyewa then got mixed up, each getting in each other’s way, but the ball still found its way to Lee, who was thwarted by Rashid. Adam Parker went off and Dave Collins came one, and Collins gave away the ball with a mishit pass allowing Kaan Fehmi to run in and shoot, the ball hitting the side netting, thanks to Glozier covering quickly. With half time looming, Rydeheard’s corner was headed over by Dogbe, and despite six minutes of stoppage time, all for the two Brightly injuries, only two and a bit minutes were added on.

The main topic at the interval was whether they would have the balls to finish – eight had disappeared into the Bedford countryside already. Would Dale Brightly reappear after the interval? And then sensational news – Max had won the raffle.

Brightly did appear for the second half, just capable of hobbling around - so main aim was to keep the ball away from the goal area, and the resolute defence saw to this. Urchins took the game to the opposition, with the tricky swirling wind against them, and Tomlinson’s excellent free kick was headed away by Kaan Fehmi. Janney was pulled back for offside when Lee had touched through, and then Cross to Foyewa, who was also given offside, to Max’s very obvious and vocal disgust, whilst at the other end McElroy’s long kick found Gray whose shot went across goal and appeared to be touched out for a corner, although a given. In the next attack a corner was awarded when it appeared a certain goal kick, so at least things were evened up. It looked bad for Urchins yet again when Purdie went down after a tackle by McKenzie and after a long spell of treatment had to leave the field, limping badly. It was some minutes before he came back onto the pitch, and in his absence McKenzie found space to run goalwards, and Brightly limped out to painfully kick the ball away, but Fletcher lofted it upfield and Lee nipped in when Dogbe misdirected his header and Rashid had to rush out to save. Lee then turned the ball inside to Janney and Gray tackled, but Foyewa swooped onto the loose ball and was upended – no action was taken although Janney was booked for protesting to the referee. If the protests from behind the goal had all been bookable the referee would have needed a new pencil. Cross took advantage of a poor free kick to swoop on goal and Rashid did well to save at his feet, and then Tekell’s free kick was headed out by McFarlane for a corner, and Collins cleared the corner almost from under the bar. Urchins went two up when Foyewa made the running on the left wing and sent over a low cross which MARK JANNEY turned into the net, and then ran to the Urchins supporters behind the goal, reminiscent of the way Tony Maynard had done the last time the Urchins were here. Only difference was that Mark did not get booked.

Two up and now the Urchins looked totally in command, and it could have been three when Foyewa slotted the ball to Lee, who was through but was given offside. Shortly afterwards Lee was again pulled up for a dubious offside and Cross hammered the ball into the net, more as a reflex action as the whistle went, and was unjustly booked. Purdie followed into the book, again for dissent, though several nasty looking tackles went unpunished. McKenzie made a good solo run and his shot was a little too high, the ball last being seen heading towards the Hertfordshire border. Foyewa then gathered up a rebound and slipped the ball to Simon Parker, with Rashid saving, and almost on time, Simon Parker beat four defenders in a close dribble, and set up Gasper, whose shot swerved wide of the post.

A good result, under tricky conditions – and the balls out count? Fourteen.


Video clips by Rob Monger
- 11mins. Andy Tomlinson scores direct from a corrner
- 69mins. Mark Janney makes it 2-0

Arlesey Town
Jack Rashid
Dean McElroy
Paul Bloss
Kaan Fehmi
Steve Dogbe
James Gray (c)
Lee Tekell
Arin Fehmi
Michael McKenzie
Marc Bridges
Craig Rydeheard
Ozie Foster
Gordon Barr
Jason Thomas
Michael Leon
Luke Bliss
GK 17
AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ronnie Fletcher
Danny Glozier
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Adam Parker
Garry Cross
Mark Janney
Kris Lee
Amos Foyewa
Andy Tomlinson
Simon Parker
Ainsley Gasper
Elliot Styles
Dave Collins
Jordan Bostock

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Weather Conditions:  11 degrees and cloudy - wind speed 14mph

Match Officials: Mike Blackledge with Mandy Waite and George Sprague

Match duration: First half 47mins 52 secs. Second half 48mins 2secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil