Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round
Saturday 4th November 2006
AFC Hornchurch 1 - 3 Mangotsfield United
Janney 81 (pen) H/T 0-1
Claridge 33' 59', Powell 48'

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Mangotsfield United
33 GOAL - Claridge
  38 BOOKED - French
48 GOAL - Powell
Collins - OFF
Foyewa - ON
59 GOAL - Claridge
Parker - BOOKED 60  
Fletcher - OFF
Bostock - ON
Lee - OFF
Gasper - ON
  78 OFF - Cornwall
ON - Casey
Janney (Pen) - GOAL 81  
89 OFF - Claridge
ON - Meaker

Match Report by Tony Middleton

With Jamie Southon and Dave Sadler both out through injury, Adam Parker returned to the starting line up, whilst Jon Purdie came back after missing one match through suspension. A crowd of just under 500 was present at the start, along with the resident heron. MUFC won the toss and made Urchins kick into the strong setting sun, which made it very difficult for the defence.

MUFC started nervously, Arndale slicing a clearance out of the ground. From the throw in Cross put in a shot which was blocked and Simon Parker crossed to Cross whose second shot was also charged down, when a first minute goal looked very likely. Mangotsfield were awarded a free kick on the half way line, and from this Claridge headed over the bar, but Urchins came upfield again and Simon Parker took a good pass from Adam Parker and centred, with Cross shooting hard and the ball being deflected by Price around the post. Janney took the corner and played a short pass to Fletcher, then cut in and hit a hard drive just inches over the bar. Three minutes gone, and three excellent opportunities missed. A Wilmot free kick – he took all the set pieces – saw the ball headed back by Claridge into the middle where Brightly saved, and then Simon Parker sent Janney away on the right and his cross eluded everyone and went begging. Urchins had another chance with a free kick, but Dave Collins, resplendent in his white boots, hit the ball far too high.

MUFC were struggling to stay in contention, but were almost thrown a lifeline by Sir Gary who returned a stray ball far too quickly, giving the visitors the advantage of a quick throw in, which saw Cornwall race clear and play a good pass out to Claridge whose centre was headed away by McFarlane. A high centre from Collins saw Lee rise well, but keeper Puddy did well to punch the ball away, with the referee eventually saving the day with his whistle, for a free kick, when none was apparent. Simon Parker then slotted a good ball through to Collins, who was clear but was pulled back for offside. Lee ran clear but was brought down by Price, but Collins wasted the free kick, hitting the ball into the ten man wall – the eleventh was the goalkeeper, such was Mangotsfield massed defence.

When Adam Parker conceded a free kick, the home defence was caught standing still, but the header went well wide of the goal. Janney then sent Simon Parker away with a neat chip, with the offside whistle coming to the rescue once again. Simon Parker to Cross and then out to Janney and Mark’s centre saw Lee head over when well placed. Fletcher hammered the ball upfield from a Wilmot corner and the ball way played back to Lane who found Claridge, but Fletcher again intercepted and sent Janney away. Janney made fifty yards along the wing by Allward tackled and the ball was booted back upfield on the left, where a first time cross saw ROB CLARIDGE heading powerfully home for the first goal, to give Mangotsfield a surprise lead, after Urchins had missed so many earlier chances.

Janney almost created an equaliser with a good run and cross, the ball going untouched right across goal. Simon Parker played it back again, but too high and the ball went out of play. Glozier hit a hard free kick into the ten man wall, the ball rebounding to Janney who found Cross and his shot was deflected out for a corner, which Glozier took and Puddy did well to hold on to the ball.

Dave Collins changed his white boots for a black pair at half time, though the main talking point was how on earth could the local reporter say that Mark Janney had a bad game last week when he made two of the goals. In the shop, Tony was as per usual demanding money with menaces, and radio Urchins was blasting out over the internet with a full live review of the match.

But Urchins were caught hopefully cold right after half time, when terrible marking allowed a gleeful LEWIS POWELL, completely unmarked, to hook the ball home, to the obvious delight of the rest of the team and the handful of away support. Amos Foyewa came on almost immediately, and straight away made ground on the left wing, forcing Puddy to rush out of goal to concede a corner, which Janney took, laying the ball short to Glozier whose centre was saved by Puddy with Lee close by. Amos won a free kick which Glozier took, but Cross’ shot was blocked. Mangotsfield broke away, and Cornwall put in a good cross to Lane, whose shot was turned out by Brightly, with Wilmot’s corner being headed away by McFarlane. With Urchins pressing forward it was perhaps not a surprise when they got caught out once again at the back, when ROB CLARIDGE was left with ample room to pick his shot from the edge of the area.

All over? It seemed so, especially when the heron took off and flew gracefully towards the south – the last time this happened was against Worthing last season. Urchins came forward and Bostock came on, to make an immediate impression at the back, where the threat on the left wing was quickly nullified. Janney found Amos out on the left and Warren came over to tackle. A Glozier cross almost reached Lee but Puddy held on to the high dipping ball. Foyewa to Janney and Mark beat three players to gain momentum on the wing, his centre just drifting out of play. Play was a series of start stops, thanks to some fussy refereeing and a good deal of time wasting, though it was hardly necessary when you are three up. Adam Parker sent Foyewa away, but Lee’s headed finish was weak and easily saved. Gasper went close, from a Janney corner, and then a push in the box and MARK JANNEY stepped up to slot the ball home. Urchins continued to press forward, a long solo run by Foyewa ending with him being crowded out, and a corner from Janney on the left saw the ball scrambled away. Seven minutes were added on, for time wasting and other stoppages, but Mangotfield held out without too much difficulty, with the floodlights rapidly losing their battle with the ever increasing smoke from the fireworks which were by now going off from the houses in Bridge Avenue.


Video clips by Rob Monger
- 33mins. Rob Claridge gives Mangotsfield the lead
- 48mins. Lewis Powell makes it 2- 0 to the vistors
- 59mins. Rob Claridge bags his second
- 81mins. Mark Janney pulls a goal back from the spot
Post match interview with Mangotsfield manager Lee Howells
Post match interview with Ron Fletcher


AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ron Fletcher
Danny Glozier
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Mark Janney
Garry Cross
Adam Parker
Kris Lee
Simon Parker
Dave Collins
Andy Tomlinson
Elliot Styles
Amos Foyewa
Jordan Bostock
Ainsley Gasper
Mangotsfield United
Willem Puddy
Neil Arndale
Jack Allward
Oliver Price
Gary Warren (c)
Ellis Wilmot
Aaron Cornwall
John French
Rob Claridge
Lewis Powell
Chris Lane
Ross Casey
Michael Meaker
Guy Cocks
David Anyinsah
Steve Book

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Adam Parker

Weather Conditions:  11 degrees and sunny at start - 7 degrees and clear at finish

Match Officials: John Rowbury with Mark Tweed and Chris Turner

Match duration: First half 46mins 33secs. Second half 52mins 10secs.

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil