Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round
Saturday 21st October 2006
AFC Hornchurch 1 - 0 Harrow Borough
S Parker 48' H/T 0-0

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Harrow Borough
  20 BOOKED - Nielsen
S Parker - GOAL 48  
S Parker - OFF
Sadler - ON
Lee - OFF
Gasper - ON
  63 OFF - Meakin
ON - Morris
Tomlinson - OFF
Collins - ON
77 OFF - Adomah
ON - Barima

Match Report by Tony Middleton


An unchanged starting line up, with Dave Collins coming into the squad. At 2.56 pm Diz wrote on the forum – ‘The boys are on there way out!’ – but this negative stance was not apparent on the terraces where everyone was ultra confident that they would progress over superior opposition yet again. Urchins kicked towards the deciduous end of the ground in the first half, and threatened to overwhelm the visitors, who for long periods were unable to get the ball into the home half. Janney gave Lee a great chance to open the score when he sent him clear inside of an wide open defence and his shot was cleared off the line for a corner, which Tomlinson floated across and Jimmy rose well to save. Parker gained possession from Fletcher’s pass and found Tomlinson whose shot hit the post and was scrambled out to Lee whose own shot was blocked close to the goal line. Two goal chances missed inside the first five minutes, and the pressure continued. Cross to Lee, and then out to Janney, whose centre was headed powerfully goalwards, with Jimmy saving well. Lee then chased a long upfield kick and keeper Jimmy raced out to the edge of the area to dive on the ball, calls for hand ball being overruled – but, yes, it was close to the edge.

Janney again, through to Parker and out to Cross whose low cross was cleared by Browne. Brightley at last got a touch, fielding a wildly hit clearance, and punting up long and deep to Parker. who raced round the keeper but could not screw the ball back into the goal as it ran out of play. Lee played a perfect through pass to Parker who was clear but was pulled back for offside. With Harrow having a harrowing time at the back it was almost ironic that they created a chance of their own, when Leech ran on thanks to a rebound off a defender, but McFarlane, with teeth marks on his lip from the previous match, nipped across to clear with a biting challenge.

Nielsen was booked for a foul – did the referee book the wrong player? – and from the free kick Glozier floated the ball into the middle and across goal. Southon put a high pass through the middle to Lee who could not control the awkward bounce of the ball and another chance went begging, but the clearance was quickly hit back by Fletcher to Lee and he picked out Parker who went close with an excellent shot. Diston headed out from Tomlinson’s high centre and the ball fell to Janney whose first time chip just dropped over the bar, and a Janney cross shortly afterwards was just a fraction too far ahead for Lee to reach.

And then Harrow had a shot, when Diston’s upfield kick reached Meakin whose shot went yards over the bar. With half time approaching, Urchins increased the pace, Parker finding Glozier on the left and his dipping cross just eluded Lee. A long goal kick by Brightley almost created a goal, with Diston forced to concede a corner and Tomlinson’s kick was returned back to him and his resulting cross was fielded by Jimmy.

At half time a search party was sent out, but it was unable to locate any visiting supporters, and the main topic was Harrow’s white strip, trimmed in blue, which made them look as if they were playing in their underwear. The search party returned, having found two supporters in yellow and blue – Canvey supporters who had come to watch a real match. The first half had been so one sided that many wondered if Harrow were capable of crossing the half way line, but it was a far different Harrow in the second half, with Nielsen immediately sending Walters away and he touched on to Adomah, whose vicious shot brought an excellent diving save out of Brightley. Adomah gained possession again and made a good penetrating run, which ended in a free kick, about ten yards outside the area, to the disgust of the East Side, and Adomah’s shot cleared the bar by many feet but made the trees duck on the banking behind the goal. And then, a goal, and what a goal, with Cross prominent in sending SIMON PARKER away and he slotted the ball firmly home. Harrow began to force themselves back into the match, Brightley only being able to touch and parry McGonigle’s lobbed shot, the ball being cleared by Glozier as it bobbled tantalisingly goalwards, and Frempong played it back to Adomah whose shot was well saved by Brightley.

Urchins replied when a long pass out to Janney saw Mark cut inside and hammer in a hard low shot which rebounded back to Mark off the keeper and the follow up shot was deflected out for a corner, which was delayed whilst Dave Sadler and Ainsley Gasper came on. Sadler was quickly in the action, running through and being thwarted by Jimmy, and a Janney centre found Gasper with Nielsen hitting the ball away. At the other end McGonigle hit a shot across goal and Southon cleared, whilst a free kick from Adomah found Leech whose header was wide of the post. Gasper combined with Sadler and Tomlinson and Kwampong did well to intercept and concede a corner, which was taken by Dave Collins, who came on in place of Andy and his corner kick was played back to Collins whose second centre was headed out by Nielsen. Harrow replied with a good shot by Morris which Brightley turned around the post, and Purdie headed away Adomah’s corner, and then repeated the process a minute later, whilst a third corner was hooked over the bar from almost in front of goal. Gasper then hooked the ball into the middle to Janney whose centre was turned over the bar and Collins’ corner was well held by Jimmy. An Adomah free kick went for a corner which Morris took and Frempong followed up to hit the shot over the bar. At the other end, Collins made a good run on the left and Browne headed the ball away, whilst Cross found Janney and Jimmy raced out of goal to kick clear. A shot by McGonigle went out for another corner and Purdie headed away, once again from Morris.

Urchins put in a good move when Gasper found space on the left and his centre saw Sadler go close, with Jimmy saving. Urchins were back in control and a poor clearance by Jimmy gave Janney a chance but the ball was cleared. Another poor clearance by Jimmy enabled Sadler to race goalwards, and Jimmy was injured in making a good save. It was by now all Urchins and Gasper and Collins combined, with Collins hitting in a good cross cum shot which Jimmy saved. Almost on time it could have been two when Janney homed in on goal after a poor clearance and Jimmy saved well, touching the ball round the post, and then Jimmy held on to Collins’ corner for the last save of the match.

A good win, against a team form a higher league, but then, this is what we have all now come to expect from what is rapidly becoming one of the best ever Hornchurch teams.

Video clips by Rob Monger
- 48mins. Simon Parker scores the winning goal
Post match interview with Jim McFarlane
Post match interview with Harrow Borough manager David Howell
Post match interview with Jamie Southon


AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ron Fletcher
Danny Glozier
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Andy Tomlinson
Garry Cross
Mark Janney
Kris Lee
Simon Parker
Jamie Southon
Dave Sadler
Elliot Styles
Dave Collins
Ainsley Gasper
Jordan Bostock
Harrow Borough
Kieran Jimmy
Daniel Nielsen
Jamie Diston
Wayne Walters (c)
Rickey Browne
Kwasi Frempong
James Bent
Gary Meakin
Danny Leech
Danny McGonigle
Albert Adomah
Michael Barima
Rob Sterry
Leon Morris
Abby Nsubunga
Gary Ross

Man of the Match
Nominated by Trophyland

John Purdie

Weather Conditions:  17 degrees and sunny - wind speed 15mph and blowing from the south west for the first time this season

Match Officials: J O'Brien wih D Sotimirin and M Williams

Match duration: First half 46mins 51secs. Second half 48mins 52secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil