Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2006-07 Season / 2006-07 Results / Match Report

Ryman League Division One North
Saturday 23rd September 2006
AFC Hornchurch 2 - 0 Tilbury
S Parker 28', Lee 42' H/T 2-0

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Tilbury
  20 BOOKED - Tolan
  25 BOOKED - Drake
S Parker - GOAL 28  
Lee - GOAL 42  
  54 OFF - McLean
ON - Humphrey
S Parker - OFF
Gasper - ON
Glozier - OFF
Styles - ON
69 OFF - Drake
ON - Deakin
Tomlinson - OFF
Southon - ON
  76 BOOKED - Guest
81 OFF - Guest
ON - Smart
85 SENT OFF - Asst Manager

Match Report by Tony Middleton

With the temperature threatening to reach an all time high, there were two changes to the starting line up, with Ross Wareham and Andy Tomlinson coming in. Tilbury won the toss and forced Urchins to kick the wrong way in the first half, and they almost paid the price when Glozier pumped in a long high upfield ball in the first few seconds which keeper Neil did well to keep out from Lee, with Ladega completing the clearance. The ball was hammered upfield and Billy Drake was very lucky to escape with a long lecture from the referee, who said earlier that he had ran the line in the Premier League (the real one, not the Ryman Premier), for a bad challenge on McFarlane, and then it was Drake again, finding Badu, whose hard drive was blocked by Purdie. Urchins appeared to have broken through when Parker went clear but was pulled up by an extremely late offside flag, and again an offside decision prevented a possible goal when Lee had put Janney away on the right and Mark touched the ball to Cross who was stopped by the referee’s whistle.

Drake earned himself another long lecture from a very lenient referee for another bad tackle on McFarlane, with the East Side chanting off off off. A Janney free kick reached Cross whose shot was wasted when he hit the ball well wide, and then Brightley held a swerving corner from the always dangerous McLean. Urchins appeared certain to score when Glozier chipped the ball over the defence to Parker, who ran on goalwards, and it was fully five seconds before an extremely embarrassed linesman very belatedly waved his flag for what appeared to most to be a very obvious offside.

Wareham, having a much improved game on the left, found Parker, who was tackled by McLean for a corner, which Glozier took and Neil held under strong pressure from Lee. Brightley did well to save a powerful header from a McLean corner, and then it was McLean at the other end, who ran back to tackle when Parker broke clear from a Tomlinson pass. Parker looked to be in a scoring position when Wareham played him through but Ladega got there first and almost put into his own net, with keeper Neil having to head the ball out. Billy Drake made one tackle too many, the referee was clearly sick of it, because he waved a green card instead of the more usual yellow one, and Billy was very lucky to still be on the field, although in a much subdued state thereafter.

A Wareham cross was almost deflected into the net, and then came the goal of the season – any season in fact – when SIMON PARKER raced away from the half way line, took on the defenders, one of whom was very fortunate not to be shown a green card, rounded the keeper, and poked the ball home, to send the East Side delirious, and even the Riverside applauded, thereby breaking their apparent vow of seasonal silence.

It was now one way traffic, with Tilbury defending desperately. Cross headed over from Glozier’s free kick, Janney played a quick return pass with Wareham from a corner and sent in a magnificent shot which beat the keeper only to curl wide of the post, and Cross chipped a pass to Wareham who raced goalwards and hammered in a vicious shot which hit the side netting. Parker to Wareham, a cross, and Lee headed narrowly wide. Lee then headed wide from Janney’s centre and Lee returned the compliment with a fine centre which Neil could not hold and Pitts booted the ball out from under the bar.

The second goal came when McFarlane played the ball out to Wareham, and Ross hit it low into the centre, where KRIS LEE finished the move off with a well placed shot. It could have been three when Glozier found Parker whose chip went inches over the bar.

At half time the 50-50 jackpot was announced, the prize being £85, the winner donating the money back to the club, whilst over on the other side of the fence the local badger family, already upset at being disturbed during the week, tried to get some sleep, but were not being helped by Max, who was playing Glen Miller over the tannoy – no wonder the entire East Side ran for the comparative cover of the bar.

Lee nearly made it three within a minute of the restart, running on to Tomlinson’s chip and hitting a hard shot goalwards, when Neil saved well, and it was Neil again, this time holding on to Glozier’s centre cum shot after he had taken Janney’s cross field pass. In a rare Tilbury raid Nana Badu tried to send the ball into orbit, narrowly missing the local resident heron in the process, whilst Fletcher then sent Janney away, Mark’s shot being turned around the post for a corner. Such was the home pressure that one Tilbury defender, left yards behind by Janney, dropped to his knees and punched the ground in frustration. A Janney corner was headed over by Lee, whilst Parker looked to be through from Tomlinson’s pass, only to pull up limping, and Simon was replaced immediately by Ainsley Gasper, who proceeded to take Tilbury apart. Janney won the ball from a poor clearance, and sent Gasper away, and Ainsley’s shot was well saved by the overworked keeper. Purdie played a ball up to Lee whose shot was blocked, and Wareham fired the ball back, Thomas deflecting it out for a corner, which Janney took, and Cross glanced his header goalwards, where Guest turned it out for another corner. Janney took the kick, and the ball was palmed out for another corner, which Janney floated higher this time and Cross headed inches wide. Purdie and Fletcher combined and Gasper hit a vicious shot goalwards, which was touched out for a corner, which Janney took and Gasper went close again. Then it was Cross to Janney, and from his centre Gasper flicked the ball just over the bar. Southon and Styles came on to join in the siege and then a wonder shot by Gasper on the turn forced Neil into making an equally wondrous save – let’s hope Rob has captured this on video, it must be the save of the season.

Lee hit a shot over, Janney found Lee from a corner and Neil saved, and then Gasper set up Lee with a good run on the right, with Kris hitting narrowly wide. Styles sent a long pass over to Gasper, who again went close, and Southon found Wareham who was close to getting onto the scoresheet with a good shot. Tilbury briefly came back when O’Connor sent a spectacular bicycle kick shot over the bar, and Badu hit a long range shot yards wide, but to the delight of the Urchins support, for the second time in a few days, a red card was shown to one of the management team on the opposition bench. Southon almost set up a third goal in stoppage time with a long pass to Cross, who turned and shot inches wide. A good win, but one where far too many changes went wasted, with the main worry being whether Simon Parker’s injury will prevent him playing in the cup next week.

Video clips by Rob Monger
- 28mins. Simon Parker runs from his own half to put us in front
- 42mins. Kris Lee doubles our lead
Post match interview with man of the match John Purdie



AFC Hornchurch
Dale Brightly
Ronnie Fletcher
Danny Glozier
John Purdie (c)
Jim McFarlane
Ross Wareham
Garry Cross
Mark Janney
Kris Lee
Simon Parker
Andy Tomlinson
Jamie Southon
Elliot Styles
Greg Tiffin
Ainsley Gasper
Jordan Bostock
Dean Neil
Danny Pitts
Courtney McLean
Martyn Guest (c)
Olubenga Ladega
Tyron Thomas
Jack O'Connor
Billy Drake
Jordan Tolan
Nana Badu
Billy Munroe
Simon Deakin
Andre Humphrey
Steven Sarkey
Dean Sumner
Bradley Smart

Man of the Match
Nominated by The Riverside

John Purdie

Weather Conditions:  27 degrees. Sunny

Match Officials: I Gosling with C Mackrow and J Garwood

Match duration: First half 47mins 49secs. Second half 47mins 25secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil