Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

9th August 2005
AFC Hornchurch 3 - 0 Dagenham & Redbridge  
Holland 37', Heale 45
Pamplin 79'
H/T 2-0
Att: 274

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Dagenham & Redbridge
Holland - GOAL 37  
Heale - GOAL 45  
Collier - OFF
Hawkes - ON
D Cowley - OFF
Sontag - ON
N Cowley - OFF
Makitu - ON
45 OFF - Vickers
ON - Churchouse
OFF - Prestedge
ON - Namdi
OFF - Worrall
ON - Borghys
Heale - OFF
Pamplin - ON
Bull - OFF
Burbridge - ON
  62 OFF - Williams
ON - Ali
Tiffin - OFF
Thomas - ON
Golby - OFF
King - ON
Perry - OFF
Philip - ON
  73 OFF - Spencer
ON - Taylor-Forbes
Pamplin - GOAL 79  

Match Report by Tony Middleton

The final pre-season match saw an impressive crowd of 274 turn out. It was lower than expected, as the match was not advertised on the Dagenham web site, and there were very few visiting supporters. Dagenham played their Capital League side, strengthened with first team regular Ashley Vickers, and they also included some triallists. Urchins fielded the same starting line up that played at Wealdstone, whilst Steve King made a welcome return following injury, and Leigh Hawkes took over in goal at half time, having recently played for Southern League Enfield Town.

Urchins, playing in yellow, started strongly, with Charlie Bull hitting a 30 yard drive past Metaal in the first minute, but the shot was off target, Danny Cowley could have set up a scoring chance when he dispossessed Williams on the edge of the area, but Ashley Vickers was quick to recover and clear the danger. Vickers was in almost constant action, having to face a wave of Urchin attacks, but when attempting a clearance, he lost possession to Bull, who played the ball low across goal, with no one able to get a touch. Holland was sent clear by Nicky Cowley, and again Vickers saved the day with a timely tackle, and it was Vickers again who set up Dagenham’s first scoring chance, playing a long ball to Worrell, whose shot beat Collier and came back off the post. St Hilaire created his own opportunity when Sean Dear failed to clear and allowed Keke a half chance, which Collier saved well. St Hilaire was soon in action again, once more slipping past Dear and setting up Worrell, whose shot this time hit the stanchion behind the goal.

Lee Perry looked to have scored, but a lineman’s flag was enough to convince the referee that there was an infringement. Dagenham could have scored a minute later, when Williams’ free kick found Jackson Wightman running in, and Collier was at full stretch to keep the shot out of the net. Best chance so far fell to Bull, who ran through onto a Heale pass, after Vickers had been caught in possession. One on one with the keeper, it was Metaal who came out on top, with an excellent diving save, turning the ball out for a corner. Nicky Cowley picked out Danny Cowley from the corner kick and he played the ball back to Nicky, who hammered the first time drive into the side netting.

Jackson Wightman briefly threatened for Dagenham but Collier had little difficulty in holding on to his somewhat hurried shot, with Bostock rapidly closing him down. Urchins could have gone ahead from a quick free kick, but Metaal came out promptly to save at the feet of Bull, whilst a good build up involving Holland, Bull and Dear ended when Nicky Cowley, put through on goal, was pulled back for offside. Heale crashed a shot into the side netting, but Urchins took the lead when Lee Perry made the running and BILLY HOLLAND cleverly chipped the keeper. Dagenham were scarcely in the match by this time, and only some good goalkeeping kept them in the hunt, whilst Ashley Vickers appeared to be on hand to intercept or head clear time and again. A Dear pass from one side of the field to the other sent Tiffin away on the right, and with Holland running in confidently onto the centre, a goal looked likely until Spencer came in late to head out for a corner. Nicky Cowley almost got onto the score sheet when he rounded Metaal, but the keeper recovered well and the final shot went wide. Despite the many stoppages only 31 seconds were added on, but that was just enough for DANNY HEALE, who chipped the keeper following a good passing move between Holland and Nicky Cowley.

Second half saw the introduction of ex-Enfield Town keeper Leigh Hawkes, who, even before his name was announced, was called into action, to stop a shot from Taylor-Forbes, who had also only just come onto the pitch. Hawkes was again action shortly afterwards, pulling down a centre from Patterson, but the pattern was soon established – Urchins continuously coming forward, and Dagenham defending desperately. Heale was again through, and this time it was Namdi who ran back to block the shot, whilst a trademark Golby long throw was plucked off the head of Holland by Metaal, who then saved from Perry and Bull inside a few seconds.

Pamplin replaced Heale and nearly found the net with his first touch, when Bostock’s long free kick saw Asa heading powerfully at goal, Metaal once again saving. A succession of stoppages, both for injury and for substitutions, broke up the flow of the play, but Steve King came on, went upfield and powered in a header which was headed off the line by Churchouse. Dagenham came back well, and Hawkes made a fine diving save to keep out a hard volley from Worrall. Ket Makitu, playing on the right, set up several dangerous moves, and from one of Ket’s first time passes, Burbridge rushed onto the ball, but Metaal just got there first.

Another King header was blocked, and yet another King header was palmed over the bar by Metaal, this time from Pamplin’s centre. ASA PAMPLIN got onto the scorers’ list when he ran through and flicked the ball past Metaal, and Urchins could have added to their tally, but perhaps sensibly eased off the pace, and were content to string passes together. Dagenham had nothing left to offer, and were perhaps relieved when the referee ended the match eighteen seconds early.


Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 37mins. Our first goal scored by Billy Holland (570KB)
- 45mins. Danny Heale makes it 2-0 (610KB)
- 79mins. Asa Pamplin completes the scoring (660KB)


AFC Hornchurch
Michael Collier
Greg Tiffin
Sean Dear
Jordan Bostock (c)
Glen Golby
Danny Cowley
Nicky Cowley
Lee Perry
Billy Holland
Danny Heale
Charlie Bull
Asa Pamplin
Rikki Burbridge
Ket Koka-Makitu
Nathan Philip
Gareth Thomas
Lee Sontag
Steve King
Leigh Hawkes
Dagenham & Red.
James Metaal
John Wightman
Michael Spencer
Darren Williams
Ashley Vickers
Brian Okwera
Keke St Hilaire
Reece Prestedge
Richard Worrall
Jackson Wightman
Marlon Patterson
Aaron Churchouse
Ashley Taylor-Forbes
Wesley Borghys
Memhet Ali

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...


Match Officials: Keith Eglington, with Lee Dorling and Warren Harvey

Weather Conditions:  20 degrees at start - 17 degrees at finish

Duration: First half 45mins 31secs - Second half 44mins 42secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil