Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Capital League North East Division
Tuesday 25th April 2006
AFC Hornchurch 3 - 1 Gravesend & Northfleet  
Springer 30', Roberts 40', Gill 41' H/T 3-0
Stubbs 47'

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Gravesend & Northfleet
Springer - GOAL 30  
Roberts - GOAL 40  
Gill - GOAL 41  
Adetayo - OFF
Brewer - ON
45 OFF - Willis
ON - Whitnell
47 GOAL - Stubbs
Hefford - OFF
O'Connor - ON
Vincent - OFF
Green - ON

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Hornchurch continued their incredible run of wins in the Capital League with a convincing win over champions Gravesend, who fielded a very strong team and for a time looked as though they would end the Urchins’ unbeaten run with goals to spare. Ket Makitu, Tony Vincent and Steve Mensah were all called upon early on to break up some dangerous Fleet attacks, and Coleman went close with a hard drive across the goal which went narrowly wide. Urchins continued to string some good moves together and were close to opening the score when a Hefford free kick was deflected around the post for a corner, which Adetayo played into the middle and Tony Vincent hooked the ball inches over the bar.

Urchins began to get on top, and the match could have changed drastically when Marshall raced out of goal to save, his follow through leaving Casper needing lengthy attention. It appeared to be a straight red card offence, and the referee raced over to the scene, arriving some ten seconds later, but took no action other than to award a free kick on the edge of the area. Hefford took the free kick, the ball rebounding from the wall, and LEE SPRINGER followed up to hammer the ball home.

The referee then had to sort out an incident in mid field, with Ayo Adetayo being pushed and shoved by three Fleet players. No action was taken, but justice was done when the excitable visitors conceded two goal inside 38 seconds. And what spectacular goals they were. Two hard volleys in quick succession, the first from STUART ROBERTS, from the edge of the area, and the second from DANNY GILL, in a similar position but further out to the left, and the champions were on their way to only their second defeat of the season. With Springer and Casper both going close soon afterwards, Urchins looked rampant.

This changed during a prolonged half time, and Adetayo did not appear after the interval, following an incident near the changing rooms. Fleet also made a substitution with Willis being replaced by Whitnell. A clearly fired up Fleet stormed upfield, and Darren Brewer cleared well. But two minutes into the second half, Madden dived to push away a hard shot, when perhaps he could have let the ball go out of play, and DAN STUBBS followed up to turn the ball into the net, the goal sparking scenes worthy of a cup final winning goal. Back came Urchins, Brewer up to Gill whose first time shot skimmed the post, and a Ket pass to Springer almost brought a break through, until Phinbow tackled. Fleet continued to press and Madden had plenty to do, though he could do nothing with a vicious shot from McKenna which cannoned back off the bar. A free kick by Maskell was held just under the bar, and Madden made two more excellent saves, from McKenna and Stubbs, before Urchins were able to stem the onslaught, and they replied in spectacular fashion, a long upfield punt by Madden falling invitingly in front of Springer, who neatly chipped the keeper only for the ball to land on the roof of the net. Casper almost drifted behind the defence, and then a great through pass by Gill gave Casper a run at goal, with Marshall racing out to kick clear. Towards the end, Steve Green and Danny O’Connor were given their Capital League debuts, both being members of the Urchins youth team, and it is to their credit that Fleet’s threat was controlled and Urchins ran out worthy winners, in what is arguably their best victory in the Capital League.


AFC Hornchurch
Rhys Madden (c)
Tony Vincent
Ket Koka-Makitu
Steve Mensah
Steve Baldwin
Stuart Roberts
Ayo Adetayo
Lee Springer
Ainsley Casper
John Hefford
Danny Gill
Steve Green
Darren Brewer
Danny O'Connor
Gravesend & N
Ray Marshall
Jason Watson
Theo Kennedy
Andy Willis
Aaron Phinbrow
Sam Groombrige (c)
Dan Stubbs
Lee Maskell
Luke Coleman
Mike McKenna
Jack Roberts
Dan Bowles
Chris Eather
Tommy Whitnell

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Weather Conditions:  10 degrees. Cloudy.

Match Officials: Dave Axcell with Len Wilcox and Paul Faithfull

Match duration: First half 48mins 28secs. Second half 47mins 50secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil