Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Brian Collins Challenge Trophy
7th August 2005
  Wealdstone 1 - 3 AFC Hornchurch
Chappell 6' H/T 1-2
Att: ca200
Holland 10', 40', Perry 60'

Match Highlights
Wealdstone   AFC Hornchurch
Chappell - GOAL 6  
10 GOAL - Holland
40 GOAL - Holland
Smith - OFF
Christian - ON
Carter - OFF
Gold - ON
  55 OFF - Holland
ON - Pamplin
OFF - Heale
ON - Burbridge
Jones - OFF
Gediking - ON
60 GOAL - Perry
  61 OFF - Bull
ON - Thomas
  64 OFF - Perry
ON - Roberts
Sparrowhawk - OFF
Campbell - ON
70 OFF - Tiffin
ON - Makitu
  74 OFF - Dear
ON - Philip
OFF - Collier
ON - Wilson
Walker - MISSED Pen 82  
    OFF - N Cowley
ON - Bull
  89 BOOKED - D Cowley

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Bright sunshine greeted the fifty visiting supporters who made the 50 mile trip to Northwood around the clogged up M25. The pitch was green and undulating, with a noticeable slope from one end to the other, but Urchins, playing in yellow and kicking down and across the slope in the first half, quickly adapted, with Charlie Bull racing clear on the left, around Sparrowhawk, and hitting the cross low into the middle where Martin conceded a corner. Nicky Cowley swerved the kick into the goalmouth, but the ball curled around the far post. Nicky Cowley next appeared on the right side of the pitch, with Martin this time heading his inswinging centre to the relative safety of a throw in. Wealdstone did not really threaten but scored with their first attack of the match. A harmless cross was headed out for a corner, when perhaps it was better to let Collier deal with it. Cooper played the corner short and back to LEE CHAPPELL, whose chip from well outside the area appeared to deceive Collier, facing a very strong sun, who failed to gather the ball and it dropped into the net. Collier almost made amends a minute later when his long punt upfield dropped invitingly at the feet of Holland, but he pulled his shot wide of the goal with Ryan closing in rapidly. With some Urchins supporters still trying to find the ground, Urchins levelled deservedly when Danny Cowley’s pin point centre from the inside right position found BILLY HOLLAND, who ran in to head over Carter and into the net.

A minute later and it could have been Wealdstone back in front, when the ever dangerous Cooper found space on the left, turned the ball back to Martin, who played it first time into the goalmouth, where Collier grabbed the ball at the second attempt, with Shaw and Walker both threatening. Wealdstone came into the match more, Tiffin doing well to charge down a shot from Martin, at the expense of a corner, once again taken by Cooper, only this time Dear headed firmly out to Danny Cowley, who immediately switched play out to the left, when Charlie Bull sped down the wing, curt inside, but was forced wide and could not get a shot in.

Sean Dear was prominent in defence, and it was a Dear pass upfield to Danny Cowley which could have led to a promising opening, had not Danny been fouled. Nicky Cowley took the free kick can Martin headed out for a corner. Both Heale and Holland were causing the home defence a lot of problems, which in turn lead to several free kicks, and from one of these, Dave Ryan did well to deflect the ball out for a corner. Nicky Cowley took another inswinger and the ball rebounded off the inside of the post, with an alert McDonald hammering it upfield to safety. Bull and Perry combined to send Heale away but his shot went wide, whilst Billy Holland was unlucky when Carter dived to palm his shot away. With Danny Cowley quickly becoming the favourite of the home crowd with a non stop performance in midfield, Wealdstone were paying him more attention than perhaps was warranted in a friendly. The referee’s whistle was all too prominent at times, but it was Nicky who set up the second goal, when he opened up the right, to find Danny Heale, whose long cross into the middle saw BILLY HOLLAND, Joe Sparrowhawk and Dave Ryan all going for the ball, which ended up in the net.

Billy Holland scored again soon after, the offside was given, whilst, on the stroke of half time, Bull picked out Nicky Cowley, and his header was cleared off the line by Martin. The first half, despite several stoppages, lasted just 45 minutes and 20 seconds.

Second half, and it was Urchins who dictated most of the midfield, and Wealdstone were confined to the odd breakaway. Urchins nearly went further ahead within seconds, Tiffin’s free kick being headed down by Heale to Holland, who hit his first time drive just a fraction too high. Wealdstone briefly came back, with two low balls in quick succession going across the face of the goal, the second of which was turned back into the path of Shaw who turned and brought a good save out of Collier. Bostock, firm in defence, gave the home forwards little room to manoeuvre, and he found time to move upfield and send Bull away on the left. Charlie found Holland in the middle, and it took a desperate tackle from Ryan to prevent another goal. Danny Cowley then found Holland up front, his shot beating Gold and skimming the post. Asa Pamplin and Rikki Burbridge replaced the dual threat of Heale and Holland, much to the home fans’ relief, but Asa immediately disillusioned them, playing a cross low and hard into the middle, where Burbridge went close. Dear then sent in an excellent free kick following yet another foul on Danny Cowley, and found Nicky Cowley, who was stopped on the edge of the area. But with Wealdstone now struggling to stay in contention, they fell further behind, thanks to a long throw in from Len Golby out on the right, which fell to LEE PERRY to finish off.

Bostock powered through the middle once again and found Golby out on the right, who touched the ball on to Nicky Cowley, who cut inside of Gediking but placed his shot just a little too high. With Wealdstone defending in depth, the highlight for the home supporters came when the proprietor of their excellent refreshment van came along the stand, offering free baguettes to anyone who wanted them. These were snapped up quickly, before he got as far as the Urchins supporters sitting at the far end of the stand. With Asa creating havoc on one side of the field, Burbridge was going much the same on the other side, and when he placed a near perfect ball into the patch of Pamplin, keeper Gold was relieved when Asa sliced his kick over the top. Tiffin, moving up on the right, then drove in a low cross which Gold did well to smother as Pamplin came in, whilst Makitu made his entry in sensational fashion, beating Gold to the ball, and then hitting a snap shot just inches over the bar.

Wilson replaced Collier in goal and did well to save from Christian who had found himself clear on the left, but when a penalty was awarded following a break by Wealdstone, they were given a chance to get back into the match. Up stepped Marvin Walker, and he hammered the penalty hard past Wilson, and high over the bar, between the second and third poplar tree behind the goal, and out into the cemetery behind the goal. Bull, both Cowleys and Golby all went close to adding further goals, but with just six seconds of stoppage time played, the referee called a halt, and Urchins had won their first ever trophy.

Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 6mins. Wealdstone go in front through Lee Chappell (460KB)
- 10mins. Billy Holland equalises (605KB)
- 40mins. Billy Holland gives us the lead(540KB)
- 60 mins. Lee Perry gets our third (500KB)


Andy Carter
Joe Sparrowhawk
Carl Morton
Lee Chappell
Dave Ryan
Neil McDonald
Luke Smith
Jason Shaw
Marvin Walker
Brian Jones
Josh Cooper
John Christian
Alec Gediking
Darryl Campbell
Steve Gold
AFC Hornchurch
Michael Collier
Greg Tiffin
Sean Dear
Jordan Bostock (c)
Glen Golby
Danny Cowley
Nicky Cowley
Lee Perry
Billy Holland
Danny Heale
Charlie Bull
Asa Pamplin
Rikki Burbridge
Ket Koka-Makitu
Nathan Philip
Stuart Roberts
Gareth Thomas
Nicky Wilson

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Match Officials
- David Belbin, with Wes Linden and Steve Crease

Weather Conditions:  Sunny - 23 degrees

Match Duration: First half 45mins 20secs, Second half 45mins 6secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil