Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Westview Essex Senior League
Monday 6th March 2006
Barkingside 1 - 4 AFC Hornchurch
Shave 13' H/T 1-1
Att: 260
N Cowley 43', Holland 47' 50'
Hayes 79'

Match Highlights
Barkingside   AFC Hornchurch
Shave - GOAL 13  
  37 OFF - Hambley
ON - Hayes
43 GOAL - N Cowley
Diaczek - BOOKED 44  
  45 BOOKED - D Cowley
47 GOAL - Holland
50 GOAL - Holland
Simmonds - BOOKED 67  
Scotchmer - OFF
Forbes - ON
Bly - BOOKED 71  
  74 OFF - Drake
ON - Burbridge
Morris - OFF
Saunders - ON
Shave - OFF
Hines - ON
79 GOAL - Hayes
Hines - BOOKED 90+2

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Just two wins and a draw away, this was it – the big one. John Hickman returned to the starting line up for the first time since his injury in October, Billy Holland came back after injury, and Danny Heale was back in the squad after a six week lay off. As is the custom, the match started with a first minute free kick, but for once it was not Danny Cowley who was fouled, the honour falling to Billy Drake, who was chopped down the first time he touched the ball. Danny Cowley took the free kick, and King’s header was cleared by Smith. Tiffin made an opening for himself with a deft flick, but Scotchmer came across sharply to intercept, and Holland got into his stride with a neat touch to Billy Drake, who turned inside of Wielenski and hit a first time drive, with McCartney making an excellent save to prevent a spectacular goal. ‘Side created some confusion in defence with their first move, Morriss cutting in and turning the ball into the middle, where Hickman was eventually able to gather as Limianaj homed in, and then ‘Side opened the score following a quickly taken free kick out to Morriss who put the ball over and PAUL SHAVE flicked home.

With Barkingside looking confident, they came forward again, Diaczuk making the running and his cross was turned out for a corner, which Morriss took and King headed out for a second corner, this time taken by Diaczuk. Golby half cleared, and Begg tried a snap shot which was again deflected for a third corner. Morriss swung the ball over and King headed out, the ball being played upfield to Danny Cowley who was left in his tradition position – on the ground after a foul tackle. From Danny Cowley’s free kick, King headed on, but Wielenski cleared following a goalmouth scramble. And then Drake, Hambley and Nicky Cowley all combined, before Smith tackled as Nicky Cowley was about to shoot. Tiffin opened up the right hand side, and he played the ball over to Hambley, whose low cross went across the face of the goal with no one able to get a touch.

Sontag made an excellent opening for Hambley on the left, but his dangerous cross came to nothing as the whistle went for offside, and shortly afterwards, with Urchins now pressing strongly, Danny Cowley’s free kick was well held by McCartney. Nathan Philip did well to surge upfield, being stopped at the expense of a free kick, which was played out to Tiffin, who cut inside at speed and hammered his shot against the post, the ball rebounding out and Holland just failing to reach it. Another Danny Cowley free kick was saved by McCartney whilst Bly stopped Philip, conceding a free kick in the process, which McCartney again saved from Danny Cowley.

A Hambley cross from a Golby pass found Holland rushing in, his header being well saved by McCartney, and from yet another Danny Cowley free kick. McCartney punched the ball out for a corner, which Hambley swerved over and Scotchmer headed out for another corner, with Tiffin curling the ball almost under the bar, for McCartney to save. A long run by Philip made ground deep into the home half, and his pass reached Hambley who could not control the ball in time to prevent Wielenski nipping in to clear. Matt Hayes replaced Hambley , and found Philip with his first touch, Nathan’s high ball into the middle finding Billy Drake, whose shot was saved by McCartney. With half time approaching, Urchins levelled the score following a good build up which started with an overhead flick by Drake to Holland, who was impeded inside the area. An indirect free kick outside the area was awarded, and Danny Cowley touched the ball sideways to NICKY COWLEY, whose shot went through the packed defence and into the net, to send the 200 plus Urchins supporters into delirium.

Hayes could have created a second goal with a first time pass to Drake, with McCartney coming out to save, and then repeating the process as Holland followed up. So level at half time, with the main talking point being would the championship trophy be presented at the Romford home match, and who would present it? And of course, could Urchins make it ten away wins in a row?

The answer was not long in coming, although Paul Shave almost scored with a long range shot straight after the interval. But it was Golby who played the ball upfield, Holland and Drake both went for the ball, McCartney saved, and BILLY HOLLAND finished it off. Two one, and it was soon to be three one, when Nicky and Danny Cowley combined, the ball was played out to the left to Sontag, and then long out to the right to Tiffin, whose low cross found BILLY HOLLAND, who touched the ball home. Three goals in six minutes, and Urchins were beginning to look favourites to win the league. But Barkingside came back quickly, a Morriss corner being cleared off the line and Golby then blocking the follow up. A long pass from one side to the other saw Hayes race through and hammer the ball inches over the bar, whilst at the other end an excellent dribble by Diaczuk took him past three players, but his pass inside was wasted as there was no one to carry on the move. Holland was brought down by Bly and Danny Cowley’s free kick was headed goalwards by King, McCartney saving well, and then Diaczuk again set off on a long weaving run, which ended with Danny Cowley clearing the centre upfield. Holland made a good run, winning a corner, which Tiffin flighted just a little too low and Wielenski was able to clear, and then Drake won the ball in midfield, playing Holland clear. Simmonds tackled, and Nicky Cowley swooped on the loose ball and turned it out to Tiffin on the right, but his centre was headed away by Scotchmer.

Nicky Cowley was put through by Drake, his shot going wide, and Drake was then put through by Sontag, but was brought down by Simmonds, but play was allowed to continue and McCartney saved from Tiffin. Philip was then the victim of another hard tackle, and needed lengthy treatment, whilst in a rare Barkingside attack, Morriss’ high cross was sliced over the bar for a corner. Burbridge came on for Drake, and he laid the ball into the path of Holland, whose shot was turned out for a corner. Tiffin took the kick, and his centre was played back again to Tiffin, who again crossed, and then sent over a third cross when the ball came back yet again, but offside was given. MATT HAYES scored the fourth following a good build up with Holland and Burbridge involved, and Lee Sontag could have added a fifth when he raced in from the left and was promptly brought down, but no card was waved at the offending player. With time running out, a Danny Cowley free kick almost found the net, McCartney doing well to keep the ball out, and Holland was denied a half chance to get his third by a quick thinking interception by Hines.

Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 13mins. Paul Shave puts Barkingside in front (380KB)
- 43mins. Nicky Cowley equalises (520KB)
- 47mins. Billy Holland gives us the lead... (600KB)
- 50mins. ...andthen makes it 3-1 (710KB)
- 79mins. Matt Hayes scores the fourth (640KB)


Dave McCartney
Grant Smith
Barry Simmonds
Presemyslaw Wielenski
Terry Scotchmer
James Bly
Leon Diaczuk
Paul Shave
Michael Begg
Ilir Limianaj
James Morriss
Lee Forbes
D Harkins
John Saunders
Scott Williams
Adam Hines
17 GK
AFC Hornchurch
John Hickman
Greg Tiffin
Lee Sontag
Glen Golby
Steve King
Nathan Philip
Nicky Cowley (c)
Danny Cowley
Billy Holland
Billy Drake
Timmy Hambley
Rikki Burbridge
Danny Heale
Matt Hayes
Paul Golby
Michael Collier

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Weather Conditions:  2 degrees at start, minus one at finish - clear - wind speed zero

Match Officials: Jim Pope with Dave Rivett and John West

Match Duration: First half 47mins 55secs. Second half 47mins 58secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil