Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Essex Senior Cup Quarter Final 2nd Leg
Saturday 21st January 2006
AFC Hornchurch 1 - 0 Tilbury
Hambley 81' H/T 0-0
Att: 414
(Agg 3-2)

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Tilbury
  26 OFF - McGoldrick
ON - Dada
  28 BOOKED - Middlemass
  45+2 BOOKED - Ademosu
Longman - OFF
Hambley - ON
64 OFF - Andrews
ON - Webster
Heale - BOOKED 71  
Heale - OFF
Springer - ON
  79 BOOKED - Port
Hambley - GOAL 81  
  83 OFF - Ademosu
ON - Deakin
Burbridge - OFF
Hayes - ON

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Both teams were without their leading scorers, Paul Cobb for Tilbury and Billy Holland for Urchins, and with Jordan Bostock suspended and Craig Dennis and John Hickman both cup-tied, Rhys Madden again came into the squad, with Lee Springer making a welcome return, whilst new signing Matthew Hayes from Maidenhead made his squad debut.

Though Nicky Cowley’s first minute run into the middle was stopped by McLean, the first goal attempt of the match fell to the visitors, with Ademosu chasing a long ball upfield and forcing King to concede a corner. Port took the kick, but King headed away, the ball was played upfield and a mistimed pass back allowed Burbridge to run in towards goal, with Marrable coming out quickly to kick clear. Steve King opened up the play when he glided a ball though to Tiffin, who was well placed, but Harris did well to cover and eventually clear. The ball was sent back by Golby to Tiffin and his well timed cross found Burbridge in the middle, with Harris doing well to clear the header. Nicky Cowley was sent away on the left by Sontag, and he turned inside and homed in, but went down heavily under a challenge and the ball went out for a goal kick, appeals being rejected.

Tilbury had a reasonable share of the play and were winning the ball in midfield, and from McGoldrick’s long pass into the middle, Cramer got into a shooting position, Thomas clearing only as far as Port, whose cross dropped behind the goal onto the roof of the net. Lee Sontag then sent over a long centre from the left which Burbridge hooked back into the middle, but not in time to prevent it running out of play. A foul by McGoldrick gave Urchins a free kick 40 yards out, and with everyone lining up for a ball into the goalmouth, Longman optimistically tried a shot, which swerved wide of the goal. Steve King was prominent in defence and came forward to break up Cramer’s run, then glided the ball to Nicky Cowley, whose low cross was touched away by Harris, and back again to Nicky Cowley, whose this time sent in a high ball into the goal mouth but it went across goal and out of play.

Danny Cowley and Nicky Cowley then combined for Nicky to play a high centre into the middle, Marrable doing well to catch the ball under pressure from Burbridge, whilst another Longman free kick was half cleared out to Tiffin and his centre was touched back to Nicky Cowley, whose shot was wide. Tilbury had an opening on the left when Cramer moved on to a long free kick from the right, but King shielded the ball out of play. At the other end, a Burbridge cross eluded Tiffin, and a long penetrating run by Nicky Cowley ended with Harris turning the ball out for a corner, which Tiffin took, the ball being half cleared to Longman who fired it back into the goalmouth, where Andrews headed away. Tilbury briefly threatened, with Ademosu winning a corner, but Thomas turned defence into attack, driving the ball hard up to Burbridge, whose flick left Heale with a clear run at goal, only for an offside flag to halt a promising move.

Heale gave Danny Cowley an opening, and he turned the ball inside to Nicky Cowley, and his long cross into the goal area was gathered by Marrable as Burbridge came in at speed. Harris at the other end forced a good save from Collier, who immediately punted the ball deep to Burbridge to run on to meet, and Marrable had to race out of the penalty area to kick clear. With several minutes added on for stoppages – and it is somewhat unusual to have so many players going down with cramp in the first half, all of them from Tilbury – and in the nine minutes added on Urchins stepped up the pace.

Longman’s cross found Heale, whose shot was turned out by Marrable for a corner, and Tiffin’s kick was cleared, only for Longman to charge the ball down and send in a first time shot, which swerved wide of the goal. Then Nicky Cowley found himself clear, raced through, rounded Marrable, and was scythed down – red card a certainty, penalty a certainty – the referee looked at the linesman, who in turn looked elsewhere, and a goal kick was awarded, with the East Side enthusiastically chanting the referee’s name. Seconds later, with the terraces still seething, Golby’s throw into the middle created havoc, and a loud hand ball appeal was rejected as the whistle went for half time.

Half time talking point was all too familiar – just what has to be done to get a penalty? There was more chance of our errant floodlight working than getting a spot kick. Whilst in the shop, Tony was waving the new red scarves at everyone who dared to cross the threshold. Yours for a fiver, buy one or get out. And, most unusual, one person wanted to know if the referee would autograph his programme.

First half had been patchy, few real chances created, and then Urchins noticeably increased the pace. King started proceedings with a long pass out to Danny Cowley, who touched on to Tiffin. Burbridge rose to meet the cross, but the whistle went for a free kick. Golby, working hard in midfield, sent a long through ball deep into the area, and Andrews headed away. Tilbury came back strongly, Dada running on to Port’s pass, and Collier came out to clear, and then Collier tipped a long shot out for a corner, which Port took, and Thomas headed away, the clearance reaching Nicky Cowley who made ground and sent Burbridge clear, his shot going only inches wide. Burbridge then found Nicky Cowley who gave Sontag an opening on the left, the shot beating Marrable but again going wide of the post. Longman gave Heale an opening, and he was fouled by two Tilbury players, apparently inside the area, but the free kick was given right on the edge of the area, and Burbridge hammered his shot into the wall, and the ball cannoned out for a corner, which Tiffin sent over, and King’s header was saved by Marrable right under the bar.

Danny Cowley sent over a cross which Middlemass headed out for a corner and Tiffin found Danny Cowley with the corner, Danny flicking the ball back to Longman, whose shot was not on target. With Tilbury’s tackling getting wilder with every second, it was almost non-stop pressure on the visiting goal, with Andrews doing well to cover when Sontag came in from the left and forcing him to run wide. Following a series of debateable decisions, Longman was spoken to, presumably for expressing some concern over the decisions, though the award of a free kick to Urchins was greeted by loud applause from the terraces, Longman as usual taking the kick, the ball rebounding back to Danny Cowley, whose shot was touched around the post, Tiffin’s corner reaching King, who headed the ball down to Nicky Cowley, whose shot was deflected out for a second corner, this time taken by Nicky Cowley, and King rose high to head powerfully against the bar, Middlemass hooking the ball away to safety. Burbridge gained possession and sent the ball back again, Heale tried a shot and Port blocked the ball.

Tim Hambley came on, quickly getting involved, running clear on the left onto a Sontag pass, then crossing for Nicky Cowley, whose header went over the bar. Nicky Cowley then broke up a Tilbury move, intercepting a somewhat hopeful punt upfield and laying the ball forward to Hambley, whose cross just swerved out of play. A Tiffin free kick dropped deep and both Danny Cowley and Heale appeared to be impeded, with Heale seeming to be held back as he got in a header, play then being halted to book Danny Heale who was clearly unhappy with the non-decision, as was many people on the terraces. A long run from Tiffin ended with an over-hit cross, the ball being turned out of play by Middlemass, and Golby’s long throw saw Heale outjump Marrable, and head downwards, with the ball deflecting out for a corner, which Nicky Cowley sent over, and King’s header was scrambled away, McLean doing well to keep the ball out of the net. King again moved up, and won a corner, which Tiffin sent over and Marrable held well, but with such sustained pressure a goal had to come, and it started with Golby’s pass, headed on by Springer, and TIMMY HAMBLEY raced in from the inside left position to power the ball home.

Nicky Cowley hit a shot into the side netting, whilst Burbridge went close with a spectacular overhead kick. A corner from Nicky Cowley saw King once again winning the ball, with a loud hand ball appeal being predictably ignored, the ball then being kicked wildly out for a corner, which Nicky Cowley took, and which Marrable tipped over for another corner, this time on the left side. Nicky Cowley again took the kick and Harris cleared. Lee Springer then raced on to Hambley’s through ball, with Marrable doing well to come out to block the shot. Matthew Hayes was given a cameo appearance, getting into the action straight away, clearing a free kick after Collier had punched away. Urchins now move on safe in the knowledge that they cannot get drawn against Tilbury any more in this competition.


Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 81mins. Timmy Hambley scores a cracking winner (680KB)
- Post match interview with Timmy Hambley (2.2MB)


AFC Hornchurch
Michael Collier
Greg Tiffin
Lee Sontag
Glen Golby
Steve King
Gareth Thomas
Nicky Cowley (c)
Danny Cowley
Rikki Burbridge
Danny Heale
Luke Longman
Lee Springer
Nathan Philip
Matthew Hayes
Timmy Hambley
Rhys Madden
GK 17
James Marrable
Courtney McClean
Terry Harris
Joe Andrews
Bobby Port
Lee Hattam
Danny McGoldrick
Tim Ademosu
Dean Cramer
Ben Middlemass
Bradley Smart
Simon Deakin
Dave Webster
Ricky Eaton
Adeniyi Adekunle
Timothy Dada

Man of the Match
Nominated by McFly

Glen Golby

Weather Conditions:  Sunny and 9 degrees at start - 4 degrees at finish. Wind speed zero

Match Officials: Simon Chittock with Matthew Donaghue and Richard Airey

Match duration: First half 53mins 33 secs. Second half 46mins 51secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil