Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Westview Essex Senior League
Saturday 26th November 2005
  Brentwood Town 0 - 3 AFC Hornchurch
  H/T 0-1
Att: 205
Holland 9' 90+2', Tiffin 66'

Match Highlights
Brentwood Town   AFC Hornchurch
9 GOAL - Holland
  15 BOOKED - Hambley
  23 OFF - Burbridge
ON - Drake
Carr - OFF
Watson - ON
Savidge - BOOKED 44 BOOKED - Longman
66 GOAL - Tiffin
  66 OFF - Longman
ON - Thomas
  76 OFF - Hambley
ON - Bull
Yellop - OFF
Armstrong - ON
Quincey - OFF
90+2 GOAL - Holland

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Brentwood enjoyed their best crowd of the season, with 170 Hornchurch supporters made their way to the new Hive, right alongside the A12. Urchins made two changes, with Rikki Burbridge coming in for Danny Heale, who is suspended, and Greg Tiffin returning to the starting line up in place of Steve King who was doubtful following an injury last week. Urchins were given a pre-match boost when Uncle Urchin arrived wearing his last pair of unbeaten-away-from-home moon boots, part of a bulk purchase from the Battlesbridge branch of Harrods.

Rikki Burbridge added much needed height up front, and was quickly in action, running on to a long ball from Paul Golby which forced Clark to rush right to the edge of the area to grasp as Rikki homed in. On a very bumpy pitch and with a strong cross field wind, it was the home side who settled quickly, and when Quincey played an excellent ball ahead of Tony Maynard, a goal looked likely until a quick recovery by Bostock forced Maynard wide and the opportunity was lost. Shortly afterwards, Glen Golby lost possession in his own half, and Carr placed the ball invitingly in front of Brown, who moved inside and sent in a hard drive which went over the bar. Maynard frequently threatened but was often left on his own up front, and it was Maynard who inadvertently set up the first goal, when he was tackled on the edge of the Urchins area by Bostock, with Glen Golby completing the clearance, the ball running to Hambley whose excellent cross field pass dropped in front of BILLY HOLLAND who scored with a first time drive.

Greg Tiffin could have added to the score with a quick exchange of passes with Nicky Cowley, his excellent centre veering wide of the goal at the last second, whilst Rikki Burbridge, whose height added a new dimension to the forward line, sent a smooth pass out to Nicky Cowley on the right, and Nicky’s low cross was turned out for a corner by Clark. Longman swerved the kick almost under the bar, with Clark rising to the occasion and holding on to the ball under the bar, despite the presence of Burbridge. Rikki again, and this time it was Danny Cowley with the centre, and a goalmouth scramble ended with a loud hand ball appeal moments, ignored by the referee, the ball being hammered to safely by Gilley. Burbridge to Longman, Luke to Nicky Cowley, his shot rebounding off Wicks, back to Longman, another first time shot, Gilley this time the blocker, but the ball is played long upfield where Tony Maynard is left totally unmarked, with Bostock coming across again to force him wide and prevent a shot.

Burbridge limped off, and Billy Drake came on, and was right away in the action, finding Tiffin, who touched the ball along the right to Nicky Cowley. McDowell tackled, and Tiffin following up at speed, controlled the ball, raced away and sent in a hard shot which swerved wide of the near post. It was Brentwood who still looked dangerous, and Urchins were too often caught out in midfield. Carr, McDowell and Quincey combined well and Qunicey’s shot was turned over the bar by Collier, and Maynard came over to take the corner, which Glen Golby cleared. Hambley conceded a free kick in a dangerous position, in front of goal and on the edge of the area, but Brentwood’s free kick strategy, with three players all lining up, went wrong and the ball rebounded harmlessly off the defensive wall. With the rain beginning to fall and the wind speed increasing, it was Maynard again who was left along up front, and he won a free kick, which he took himself, Collier saving well. At the other end, it was an inspired Billy Holland who embarked on a solo run which brought a good save from Clark, and when Billy Drake was fouled, the Brentwood player escaped a yellow card when Billy simply got up and got on with the game, Longman taking the free kick but hitting the ball into the wall. Drake again, through the middle, with Clark nipping out quickly to kick clear, with an A One clearance onto the A 12, the ball being headed back by a passing Eddie Stobart lorry. From the throw, Tiffin found Drake, who in turn played a short pass to Nicky Cowley, whose shot was turned over the bar by Clark. Longman’s inswinging corner again was held under the bar by Clark. Then Paul Golby’s through ball reached Nicky Cowley, who played a first time pass through to Holland, who turned in and chipped the keeper, but not quite high enough and Clark was able to grasp the ball.

Maynard again found space at the other end, Brown being the provider, and his shot went wide, as Collier moved out quickly to narrow the gap. A Nicky Cowley cross was punched out by Clark, only as far as Danny Cowley, and his first time attempt beat Clark but was too high and went over the bar. Almost on half time, Drake was fouled, and once again got up right away. Hambley took the kick, Clark tipped the ball over, and Longman’s corner this time was headed away by McDowell.

Opinion at half time was that Urchins needed another goal as Brentwood had frequently looked dangerous, and a win was desperately needed as Karl was down to his last pair of moon boots. The club house was packed to capacity as just about everyone had crammed inside – anyone would think it was cold, just because there was a minus six wind chill factor. The second half started with Billy Drake sending Nicky Cowley clear, with Savidge conceding a corner, which Longman took and which Savidge headed out. Brentwood again threatened, Quincey’s well flighted free kick finding Brown, who brought a good save out of Collier, whilst a McDowell shot was blocked by Bostock, the ball rebounding upfield to Billy Drake who beat Wicks but Gilley came across to send another ball in the direction of the A12. Danny Cowley was fouled and an indirect free kick was awarded – the second one of the match – and for a second time, Longman tried a shot. You cannot score direct from an indirect free kick, so it was just as well that the ball went wide, albeit only just. Billy Holland was then put clear by Tim Hambley, but Clark saved well, and seconds later it was Holland once more, this time cutting in from the left, and Brewington was on hand to tackle as Billy homed in on goal. Hambley then decided to go it alone, his run ending in a hard and accurate shot which Clark kept out, then Hambley again, through the middle, and Clark raced outside his penalty area to head clear. Holland and Hambley linked up again, Clark diving to push the ball out for a corner on the left. Tiffin took the kick and though the ball curled in, it was Clark who was there again to save. Clark was again to the rescuer, this time from Drake, but his clearance was intercepted midway inside the Urchins half, and the ball was played back upfield, to GREG TIFFIN, who hit the ball low past Clark for the second goal, much to the relief of the 170 visiting supporters, and to the dismay of the Brentwood supporter.

Gareth Thomas came on for Longman and his first task was to race back to clear from Maynard, Gareth diverting the ball out for a corner. And then he was back in action at the other end, in spectacular fashion, powering through the middle and hammering in a shot that brought the save of the match from Clark. Hambley shot from a narrow angle, and Wicks managed to turn it out for a corner. Tiffin swerved the ball in, and Clark punched clear, under pressure from Holland, the ball falling to Billy Drake whose first time shot sailed into the night. The two goal lead was more than welcome a few minutes later when Brentwood were awarded a free kick just outside the area, and as usual three players lined up to take the kick, both Yellop and McDowell jumping over the bal, before the third player sent in a powerful drive, the ball being touched onto the bar by Collier as it screamed towards the net. It rebounded so far out that Glen Golby was able to send Nicky Cowley away on the right, and his cross found Holland and Hambley both waiting in the middle, with Hambley hitting the ball into the side netting.

Charlie Bull on for Hambley, to the delight of the Charlie Bull fan club, and Drake gave Charlie his first touch of the ball, and Bull in turn left Savidge trailing and played the ball down the wing to Danny Cowley, whose cross reached Nicky who fired his shot just over the bar. Drake and Bull a second time, Bull to Holland, and Clark to the rescue with a diving save. Bull then created his own space and raced through the middle, but could not control the ball as it bounced up off the uneven pitch. Quincey conceded a free kick with a foul on Drake, Tiffin took the kick, Clark saved. In the second minute of stoppage time, Drake and Bull were again in the picture, Clark came well out of goal, the ball reached BILLY HOLLAND, well outside the area, but unmarked, and he casually placed the ball into the empty net, for a win which not only marked a return to form for Holland, it also gave the moon boots another outing. Difficult to pick out any one individual – Rikki looked confident up front until having to limp off, Drake never stopped running, and gave the home defence a torrid time, Bull created his own form of havoc in his brief appearance, Gareth made his mark in defence, and Collier, with little to do, still kept warm enough to make two excellent saves, bringing it to six matches and 610 league minutes without conceding a goal. – played six, won six, goals for fifteen, goals against nil, and eight different scorers.


Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 9mins. Billy Holland gives us an early lead (610KB)
- 66mins. Greg Tiffin puts us further in front (765KB)
- 90+2mins. Billy Holland completes the scoring (650KB)



Brentwood Town
Chris Clark
Paul Brewington
Nick Savidge (c)
Andy Wicks
D. Gilley
Lance McDowell
Ryan Quincey
Stuart Brown
Tony Maynard
Paul Carr
Darrell Yallop
D. Armstrong
M. Doyle
T. Erdol
A. Watson
AFC Hornchurch
Michael Collier
Greg Tiffin
Paul Golby
Glen Golby
Luke Longman
Jordan Bostock (c)
Nicky Cowley
Danny Cowley
Billy Holland
Rikki Burbridge
Timmy Hambley
Billy Drake
Charlie Bull
Russell Williamson
Gareth Thomas
Craig Dennis

Man of the Match
Nominated by ...

Weather Conditions:  Overcast 3 degrees at start, 2 degrees at finish - occasional showers - wind speed 23mph at start, 12mph at finish. Wind  chill factor minus 6 at start, minus 2 at finish

Match Officials: Lee Dorling with Wayne Smith and Jamie Garwood

Match duration: First half 46mins 2 secs. Second half 47mins 38secs

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil