Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Westview Essex Senior League
Saturday 1st October 2005
AFC Hornchurch 1 - 1 Tilbury  
Heale 1' H/T 1-1
Att: 458
Cobb 20'

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Tilbury
Heale - GOAL 1  
  9 BOOKED - Fannon
20 GOAL - Cobb
Collier - OFF
Ward - ON
Dear - OFF
N Cowley - ON
  62 OFF - Koboah
ON - Mold
  66 OFF - Webster
ON - Deakin
Tiffin - OFF
Bull - ON

Match Report by Tony Middleton

With Steve King unavailable, Gareth Thomas came in at full back, with Sean Dear playing wide on the left wing. Urchins took the lead with many of the Eastside match sponsors still coming onto the terracing. Greg Tiffin found himself space on the right, thanks to Danny Cowley's pin point pass, and although Hattam headed the cross out, the ball was played back to DANNY HEALE who cut in from the left and scored with a low drive past Rakton, in 53 seconds. The sun was shining and Urchins were looking all set for another high score. Little was seen of Tilbury, their best move coming when Fannon picked up a loose ball in midfield, but managed to trip himself up, with Paul Golby clearing easily. Holland created his own scoring chance on the left, beating two defenders and shooting, the ball appearing to be handled by Andrews, but the loud appeal was ignored. Danny Cowley, playing an inspired game, dominated the play, and sent an excellent pass out to Tiffin, who rounded Harris, and fed a low pass to Holland, whose flick on found
Danny Cowley moving forward. Port came in to clear, despite another handball appeal as the ball bounced away from his hand.

Ademosu had the first real chance for the visitors when he ran on to a long clearance, but Gareth Thomas ran back to intercept, the clearance being followed by the only yellow card of the day when Fannon challenged very late for the loose ball. It was Thomas again when he played a long pass to Heale, whose back heel found Holland, but the finish was poor and McGoldrick was able to clear. Danny Cowley then made a timely tackle on Webster, and laid the ball out to Holland, who touched it on to Perry, who flicked the ball on and sped after it, to be eventually stopped by Port on the edge of the area. A short free kick by Heale gave Paul Golby an opening, and he glided the ball upfield to Dear, very wide on the left. Dear found Holland in the middle, and Andrews came in quickly to smother the shot. Tilbury nearly conceded a second when Rokton fumbled a long ball and Holland swooped in, but Rakton recovered in time to grab hold of the ball at the second attempt. Lee Perry took a pass from Danny Cowley in midfield, and sent Paul Golby clear on the left. Holland got onto the end of the resultant cross, but Rakton saved well. A Glen Golby long throw sent Tiffin away on the right, but the centre came to nothing.

And with Urchins looking confident, perhaps too confident, they let in a soft goal, when Tilbury were awarded a free kick about thirty yards out. Koboah lingered near the ball, but it appeared fairly obvious that PAUL COBB was going to take the kick, and with the wall lined up wrongly, he flighted the ball home past Collier for an equaliser which came as a complete surprise.

A minute later the storm broke, as heavy rain hammered down, with Urchins playing into the rain and a strong wind. It briefly looked as though Urchins would continue to dominate, Lee Perry finding Dear on the left, and Sean beat Andrews to centre, but the ball went too high and wide of the goal. But it was Tilbury, with Paul Cobb behind most of their moves, who began to dictate in midfield, with the absence of Nicky Cowley being very apparent, as Tilbury took control. Thomas created havoc of his own when he missed a simple clearance, the ball speeding up on the wet ground, and Bostock had to race across to cover from Koboah. Then a corner from Harris was punched out by Collier, only as far as Andrews who immediately played it back into the goalmouth, where Bostock turned the ball out, for another corner, taken by Harris. Collier came out for the corner, but could not hold on to the ball, and Cobb was quick to turn it into the net, the goal being disallowed for a push on the keeper by another Tilbury player. Cobb then broke away again and netted but was offside.

Urchins regained some composure thanks largely to Danny Cowley and Danny Heale, who led by example, and they calmed the play down enough to allow the Urchins to get back into the match. It was Danny Cowley who created an opportunity for Dear, his free kick being fed forward by Paul Golby, but Dear's centre was too far forward and the ball ran out of play. Urchins could have fallen behind when Hattam played the ball down the middle, and Collier came out to clear at the second attempt from first Cobb and then Webster. Almost on half time, Thomas sent a long ball up the wing to Tiffin, whose excellent square pass found Perry, but he was unable to control the ball and it bobbed away for Harris to clear.

The rain had stopped by the time the teams returned for the second half, and Urchins were now in white shorts, a very sensible moved since with both teams playing in stripes, and with both in black shorts, it was not surprising that passes went astray. What was a surprise though was that Michael Collier did not come out for the second half and Lee Ward was now in goal.

Urchins looked much more composed and Danny Cowley made the first opening when his free kick fell to Paul Golby who switched play out to the right for Tiffin, whose own centre was headed away by Harris. Ward was soon called into action, following Koboah's free kick which was played deep into the area, and Ward punched out for a corner, taken by Ademosu, with Ward again punching clear, the ball being quickly played back to Ademosu, who was unmarked, but offside, the play continuing for several seconds before a somewhat belated flag was raised. Ward had to punch the ball out yet again, this time from Harris' free kick, and he then made a good recovery to hold on to the ball as it bounced loose in the area. Glen Golby took his short throw and played the ball out to Paul Golby, and he played passed back across to Thomas, who sent Tiffin away on the right, the centre coming to nothing as Port headed clear. Paul Cobb nearly scored with a shot from well outside the penalty area, which dipped alarmingly and was tipped over by Ward when it looked to be sailing into the net. Harris took the corner and Ward palmed it out the other side, where Koboah's corner drifted over everyone and out of play. This proved to be the last time that Tilbury offered any real threat, with Cobb being forced to drop back to help out his overworked but little troubled defence. Paul Golby's throw caused some concern though when Holland tried a snap shot on the turn, the ball rebounding to safety off of Port, and another Paul Golby throw saw Andrews head the ball past his own goal and out for a corner. Tiffin swerved the corner over, and it was half cleared, to Thomas, but his first time shot was tipped over by Rakton, with Dear taking the corner this time, but Hattam headed away. Holland created an opening for Perry with a neat back heel from Heale's pass, but Perry lost the ball and the opportunity came to nothing. Danny Cowley floated over a free kick from the left, but the ball was too low and easily headed away by McGoldrick, but only as far as Tiffin, whose return pass into the goalmouth was headed away by Hattam for a corner. Dear took the kick and Danny Cowley headed over.

Nicky Cowley came on for Dear, his appearance being warmly applauded, and his influence was immediate, as he won a throw in, taken by Paul Golby, which found Danny Cowley, and he opened up the play on the other side for Heale who sent the ball across, with Tilbury clearing despite a very loud and prolonged appeal for hand ball. Heale, now dropping back slightly, and combining well with Nicky Cowley, played a short pass to Lee, took the return and found Holland, who was unable to get enough room to get in his shot, being very closely marked throughout the match.. A Tiffin free kick with Heale lurking, dropped into a packed goalmouth, where the ball was half cleared, to Lee Perry, whose own first time shot looked promising but the ball took a late deflection and went wide. Holland then found Nicky Cowley, who crossed the ball to the other wing for Tiffin, whose centre was hammered out of play and the ball was last seen heading for the river. Glen Golby took the throw and it headed away by a by now packed Tilbury defence. An excellent move was started by Paul Golby, with Glen Golby, Thomas and Tiffin all involved, the eventual cross again being headed out. A long kick by Ward gave Holland an opening, but he was forced wide and found Tiffin on the right, the cross being punched away by Rakton.

A long build up on the right, with Thomas and Tiffin exchanging passes, saw the ball then played out to the left, where Nicky Cowley and Heale worked their way along the wing. Danny Cowley called for a short pass and squared to Paul Golby who was clear but was pulled up for offside. With Tilbury now concentrating on defence, the ball spent a lot of time in the Tilbury goalmouth, but for the most part the final ball found a Tilbury player heading or hammering the ball back upfield, only for it to be played straight back. A Nicky Cowley cross went begging, and a Glen Golby throw was headed away. Charlie Bull came on, and moved out to the left, with Nicky Cowley coming further inside, and Bull three times threatened to break through. Heale tried to weave through, but was crowded out, Danny Cowley and Nicky Cowley both sent over crosses which were headed out, and Bull cut inside when played clear by Heale, with Andrews powerful clearance sailing over the stand and way out of the ground. A Nicky Cowley corner reached Perry, who tried to play the ball back for Nicky Cowley, but it ran out of play. Charlie Bull sent in a first time shot from the left, which resulted in a goalmouth scramble, with Perry eventually shooting wide, and in the last few seconds two Nicky Cowley corners were headed clear. The Player of the Match award, chosen by the Eastside, went to Danny Cowley for the second game in succession. And the impressive 458 attendance was accurately guessed by Max who went home £50 better off.

Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 1mins. Danny Heales scores a spectacular opener (610KB)
- 20mins. Paul Cobb equalises with a superb free kick (500KB)
- Post match interview with first team coach Alan Moulder (6.5MB)


- Post match interview with Alan Moulder part one (1.6MB)
- Post match interview with Alan Moulder part two (3MB)
- Post match interview with Alan Moulder part three (1.9MB)


AFC Hornchurch
Michael Collier
Gareth Thomas
Paul Golby
Glen Golby
Greg Tiffin
Jordan Bostock (c)
Danny Cowley
Lee Perry
Billy Holland
Danny Heale
Sean Dear
Nicky Cowley
Asa Pamplin
Billy Drake
Charlie Bull
Lee Ward
Joe Rakton
Joe Andrews
Terry Harris
Carl Fannon
Bobby Port
Lee Hattam
Danny McGoldrick (c)
Paul Cobb
Dave Webster
Tim Ademosu
Edmund Koboah
Danny Mold
Danny Exley
Scott Johnson
Simon Deakin
Dean Cleaver

Man of the Match
Nominated by The Eastside

Danny Cowley

Match Officials: Kevin Pratt with Lee Dorling and Greg Hart
Weather Conditions:  sunny 17 degrees, down to 9 degrees (heavy rain) then 11 degrees at finish
Match duration:
First half 47mins 2secs, second half 48mins 25secs
Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil