Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

FA Challenge Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
Saturday 24th September 2005
AFC Hornchurch 1 - 4 Worthing  
Heale (pen) 9' H/T 1-2
Francis 10', 48', Browne (pen) 14'
Knee 80'

Match Highlights
AFC Hornchurch   Worthing
  8 BOOKED - Cable
Heale (pen) - GOAL 9  
10 GOAL - Francis
D Cowley - BOOKED 13  
14 GOAL - Browne (pen)
  36 OFF - Charles
ON - Rogers
48 GOAL - Francis
Tiffin - OFF
Dear - ON
Bostock - BOOKED 72  
P Golby - OFF
Pamplin - ON
Perry - OFF
Drake - ON
76 OFF - Browne
ON - Brotherton
80 GOAL - Knee
  80 OFF - Collins
ON - Pook

Match Report by Tony Middleton

Things went badly for Hornchurch before the start when the heron failed to appear, and then Harry, Urchins’ oldest and best known supporter, was taken to hospital when he fell down and cut his face. With Worthing bringing only a handful of supporters, and with Dagenham and West Ham also at home, the attendance of 544 was extremely good, and the high level of vocal support was noticeable throughout, with the Eastside following the example set by the Riverside and getting right behind their team from the start.

Worthing quickly settled down and Bostock had to clear from Charles’ cross, after he had made ground on the left. Another Charles’ centre was fielded by Collier, whose long upfield kick was touched out to the left by Heale for Nicky Cowley, who neatly beat Lutwyche and crossed for Holland, who glanced his header narrowly wide. Worthing came back, making space on the right, and King headed out for a corner, taken by Davis, who curled the ball into the middle, where Bostock conceded another corner, this time taken by Charles on the other side of the pitch. Charles took a return pass from Cable, played the ball back to Lutwyche whose cross was headed over by Cable.

The signs were already pointing to a certain amount of leniency when it came to penalising the visitors’ over exuberant tackling, and when Collins conceded a midfield free kick, his tackle leaving Heale sprawling on the ground, Danny Cowley flighted the ball in well, and Glen Golby came in from the left but headed over. With Worthing back peddling, an excellent pass from Heale found Holland, who raced goalwards, only to be tripped by Cable with only the keeper to beat. Penalty - no doubt at all. Red card - yes, a certainty, so why was it only yellow? DANNY HEALE hit the ball low and hard into the net from the penalty, but Worthing still had eleven players on the field, to their obvious relief.

Worthing are three leagues higher than Urchins, and this was apparent with their immediate reply, SAM FRANCIS taking advantage of some slack marking to head home from Collins’ centre. Holmes hit a shot high over the bar shortly afterwards when he picked up a loose ball in midfield, and then, on 13 minutes, the referee awarded a penalty to Worthing, Danny Cowley being booked in the process, to his obvious annoyance. STAFFORD BROWNE put the kick to the left of the diving Collier to give Worthing the lead, to the delight of their supporter. Was it a penalty? The referee said so, therefore it was.

Worthing began to take control in midfield, with Nicky Cowley possibly not in his best position out on the left. King headed away from Francis, and conceded a corner with a timely tackle on the same player. Collins played the ball back to Davis, whose shot registered on the radar at the City Airport. Urchins, urged on by the continuous noise from the East Side, came back strongly, Glen Golby’s long throw finding King, whose header was cleared from under the bar by Cable. Worthing were awarded a free kick when the player appeared to dive, but although Cable found the net with a header from the free kick, he was offside. Collins went close soon after, when his shot from an awkward angle beat Collier, but the non-stop Danny Cowley cleared off the line. Collier’s long kick upfield shortly afterwards reached Holland, who flicked the ball out to Tiffin, who beat Knee but put in a poor cross which drifted out of play. Danny Cowley cleared a free kick by Charles at the other end, and then a Charles cross was headed out for a corner by Tiffin. Charles took the corner, and Bostock headed out for another corner. Charles again, and Tiffin conceded a third corner, this time taken by Collins, which Bostock hammered upfield. Lutwyche played it back again, and Knee came up to shoot, but Collier touched the ball round the post. A Charles free kick came to nothing, when Perry conceded possession in midfield, and then Knee hit a shot well wide when a pass to a better positioned player was more appropriate.

Nicky Cowley was brought down as he went through and from the kick, taken by Danny Cowley, Pullan was on hand to clear for a corner, taken by Tiffin, who played the ball back to Nicky Cowley whose hard shot was too high and over the bar. Then Holland ran on to King’s high upfield kick, and rounded Ormerod but was given offside, a decision which did not meet with universal approval, as he had ran through. Heale again, another free kick, this time Lutwyche was the culprit, but Danny Cowley’s inviting kick was missed by everyone. Worthing nearly increased the lead just before the interval when a corner was awarded, and Collins found Rogers, who skied the ball over the bar. There was still time for Urchins to come back, when Heale won a corner, and Tiffin’s inswinger was headed out by Lutwyche for a throw. Glen Golby tossed the ball into the middle but though Perry got to the ball first, he had no time to place his shot, and it went wide.

Urchins started the second half confidently, with Glen Golby’s long throw reaching Heale, to touched on to Holland, who in turn passed back to Heale, but his shot was wide. Worthing went further ahead when Urchins were caught out by a soft goal, a Paul Golby centre being played hard upfield to an unmarked SAM FRANCIS, whose shot ended up in the net. Not a good time to concede a goal, but Urchins could have come back when Heale played Holland through and Ormerod had to race out of goal to kick clear. Tiffin cut in from the right and Knee’s tackle slid the ball out for a corner, taken by Tiffin. There was a delay as Knee’s tackle had broken the corner flag, but this proved to be another turning point in the match, for Tiffin’s cross was flicked on by King, and Danny Cowley got there first, only for the ball to be saved right on the line, when a goal had looked certain. Worthing’s experience and possible fitness began to tell, as they gathered most of the midfield balls, and also sent their own forwards away sharply and accurately. Collier saved well from Browne, and then Bostock cleared following a goalmouth scramble. A Tiffin free kick - Knee had fouled Heale - reached Danny Cowley but the ball was scrambled away by Pullan. Nicky Cowley, still playing out on the left, sent Perry away, but Lutwyche tackled, whilst Glen Golby also created an opening for Perry, only for offside to be given. Danny Cowley with yet another free kick, this time finding King, and Ormerod saved well.

A change was made, with Sean Dear coming on for Tiffin, and with Nicky Cowley reverting to midfield where he was much more at home, with Dear taking over on the left. Nicky Cowley was quickly in action, only to be fouled. And then a real surprise, as Nicky dummied the free kick and Dear took it instead, and Ormerod did well to keep the ball out. Worthing were confident in defence, and with a two goal cushion they were able to create some good moves of their own, though it took a long upfield kick by keeper Ormerod to set up Browne, whose shot was turned out by Collier. Then it was Collier who came up almost to the half way line to take a free kick, which King headed goalwards, and Ormerod saved. Worthing could have scored when Rogers broke clear, taking advantage of too many Urchins up field seeking a goal, but Collier came out to save, and then Collier dived to save from the same player, immediately pumped the ball up to Asa Pamplin, who was pulled down. Heale took the free kick, with Danny Cowley standing by, and Nicky Cowley cracked the ball back into the centre, but the ball sailed out of play with no one able to reach the cross.

Holmes then had a clear run at goal, but Collier saved, but with the home defence in confusion it was MARK KNEE who reacted first to drive the ball home. Just as Danny Cowley was announced as player of the match by the match sponsor, LJ Financial, Asa Pamplin fed a long ball to Holland, with Lutwyche doing well to cut out. Best move of the match came when Rogers, Brotherton and Francis combined, with Francis shot being saved by Collier. Urchins still came forward, Drake earning a lecture from the referee for some enthusiastic tackling, and Drake again finding himself space on the right, with Holland being unable to get on the end of the cross, and then the final whistle signalled the end of this season’s cup run. Urchins were loudly applauded at the end, the difference between the teams being the speedier reaction of the visitors, and their ability to pick out players with long penetrating passes. For Urchins, had Cable been shown the red card early on, and had Danny Cowley’s shot travelled just a few more inches and over the line, it could have been a lot different.

Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- 9mins. Danny Heale gives an early lead from the spot (640KB)
- 10mins. Worthing strike back within a minute through Sam Francis (510KB)
- 14mins. Stafford Browne puts Worthing in front from the spot (660KB)
- 48mins. Sam Francis scores his second for the visitors (620KB)
- 80mins. Mark Knee makes it 4-1 (570KB)
- Post match interview with Glen Golby (2.2MB)


AFC Hornchurch
Michael Collier
Greg Tiffin
Paul Golby
Glen Golby
Steve King
Jordan Bostock (c)
Danny Cowley
Lee Perry
Billy Holland
Danny Heale
Nicky Cowley
Sean Dear
Charlie Bull
Asa Pamplin
Billy Drake
Gareth Thomas
Mark Ormerod
Andy Lutwyche
Mark Knee
Marc Pullan
Marc Cable (c)
Danny Davis
Liam Collins
Sam Francis
Stafford Browne
Stewart Holmes
Lee Charles
Andy Alexander
Paul Rogers
Roy Pook
Jamie Brotherton
Darragh Ryan

Man of the Match
Nominated by LJ Financial

Lee Perry

Match Officials: I Crouch with C Fay and J Panconi
Weather Conditions:  19 degrees at start, 15 degrees at finish
Match Duration:
First half 46mins 19secs, Second half 48mins 34secs
Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil