Match Day*
Nav Fixtures & Results
Nav League Table
Nav Away Travel
Nav Statistics
The Club*
Nav Directions
Nav Club Directory
Nav Press Information
Nav Contact Webmasters
Nav Forum
Nav Video Clips
Nav Email List
Nav Photographs


Fans Focus

First Hosting
Home / 2005-06 Season / 2005-06 Results / Match Report

Tuesday 19th July
  East Thurrock United 4 - 1 AFC Hornchurch
Bunn 10', Cole 26',
Richards 55', Martin 83'
H/T 2-0
Heale 58'


Match Highlights

East Thurrock United   AFC Hornchurch
Bunn - GOAL 10  
Cole - GOAL 26  
  54 OFF - Holland
ON - Pamplin
Richards - GOAL 55  
  58 Heale - GOAL
  63 OFF - Heale
ON - Burbridge
  65 OFF - Kola-Makitu
ON - Ballard
  77 OFF - Sontag
ON - Gill
Martin - GOAL 83

With a fire right behind the goal, and petrol tankers passing within feet of the fire engine, the opening of the turnstile at 7.30 seemed somewhat optimistic. The crowd numbered just over one hundred, of which 80 were from Hornchurch, many of whom questioned the wisdom of charging £8 for admission. The lack of any tannoy announcements meant that most of the crowd did not know the line ups, and there was not even a programme to give any clues.

Urchins kicked into a gale force wind in the first half, and the bumpy and sandy pitch, with one large sand filled area just outside the penalty area, did not lead to skilful football, which might well have accounted for the home side’s liberal use of the big boot. Ket Makitu was quickly into the action, with a timely tackle on Richards, and it was Urchins who played the better football and created a lot of opportunities. Danny Heale nearly started his Urchins career with a goal, his spectacular 30 yard shot beating Dean Neil but flashing narrowly wide. Then Glen Golbey’s long throw found Holland, who twisted inside of the centre half and touched the ball short to Nicky Cowley, only for Neil to rush out to smother the ball at his feet. Danny Cowley spread several good passes around, but it was East Thurrock who took the lead, when a free kick form James Bunn, assisted by the gale, rocketed past a motionless Wilson. Time 10 minutes.

Urchins came back almost immediately, Nicky Cowley’s corner being hammered out of the ground by Mully. Golbey’s long throw into the wind was headed inches over the bar by Holland. Urchins were nearly caught out from the wind assisted goal kick and Wilson had to move quickly to keep out the touch from Harris, but another long Golbey throw – it is rapidly becoming his trade mark – won another corner, keeper Neil palming Danny Cowley’s shot over the bar. Danny Harris broke clear for Rooks shortly afterwards, and Wilson made a good stop, diving to tip the ball over the bar. Best build up of the half saw Sontag, both Cowleys and Makitu all involved, before Heale’s quick turn and pass sent Holland away – great pass, great anticipation, only for the linesman to raise his flag for offside.

The linesman repeated the action twice more in the next five minutes, but when Holland dispossessed a defender, he played a short pass to Golbey who in turn touched the ball on to Perry, who powerful drive went a fraction wide of the post.

Rooks went further ahead when Wilson turned a long shot from the home centre half around the post, and from the corner there was no one on hand to clear, the ball bouncing around the goalmouth until Mark Cole hooked it home on 26 minutes.

With the wind getting stronger, and the Urchins frustration at some of the decisions getting more vocal, Danny Cowley, Holland and Heale combined to send Nicky Cowley racing goalwards. Flag up yet again. Almost on half time Heale went through, but Reid came out of his goal to make another excellent save.

Second half, no changes, but Urchins had the by now decreasing wind in their favour. Three minutes into the second half, Nicky Cowley was through, and was brought down, but loud appeals for a penalty were ignored. A minute later, Lee Sontag’s hard cross was parried by a defender, with more appeals for handball coming in force from behind the goal, but Rooks scored with their first real attack of the half, Jamie Richards heading from a corner. Time 55 minutes.

On 58 minutes came by far the loudest cheer of the night when Sontag’s screaming drive was blocked by the outstanding Reid, and Danny Heale hammered the rebound into the net. Rooks were struggling against a very confident Urchins, and Holland and Heale both went close, whilst keeper Reid was perhaps n a bit fortunate to be awarded a free kick in his favour when he beat off a challenge for a loose ball. Golbey took yet another long throw, Heale headed on, a massive goalmouth scramble followed, and the ball was hooked away by Kevin Mully, whose presence in defence made so much difference. From Golbey’s next throw, Ricky Burbridge powered a header inches over the bar. Twice keeper Reid had to race out of his area to kick clear, first from Asa Pamplin, and then from Lee Sontag. Pamplin’s introduction into the match was very apparent as the home side struggled to adjust and it was keeper Reid once again who came to the rescue, again rushing out to save from Pamplin. Ex-Urchin Keith Martin had so far made little impression, but he headed the fourth goal on 83 minutes. Four one did not reflect the play at all, and Urchins nearly pulled one back when Perry went clear, only for Reid to save, and then repeat the performance a minute later. At the finish, Urchins left the field to a deserved and prolonged round of applause. The difference between the two sides was quite simply that home keeper Reid had an inspired performance, whilst captain Kevin Mully would almost certainly have earned the player of the match award, had there been one

Video Highlights by Rob Monger

- East Thurrock take the lead (390KB)
- The home side make it 2-0 (650KB)
- East Thurrock's third (380KB)
- Danny Heale pulls a goal back for us (610KB)
- East Thurrock make it 4-1 (500KB)



East Thurrock United
AFC Hornchurch
Nicky Wilson
Greg Tiffin
Lee Sontag
Glen Golbey
Ket Kola-Makitu
Jordan Bostock
Nicky Cowley
Danny Cowley
Billy Holland
Danny Heale
Lee Perry
Sean Dear
Asa Pamplin
Ricky Burbridge
Scott Ballard
Danny Gill
Michael Collier

Weather Conditions:  cloudy 20 degrees at start, 17 degrees at finish - very strong downfield wind

Duration:- First half 45mins 21 secs. Second half 45mins 26secs.

Last Match
Travel Details
Live updates subject to mobile signals
AFC Hornchurch Forum Latest Posts

    Website designed & hosted by First Hosting - 0845 345 8888 - www.firsthosting.co.uk
    The contents of this site are copyright 2004-6.   Pictures may not be copied without permission.
    All logos, maps and other images are copyright of the respective owners. All photographs are copyright of Ian C. Walmsley / First Images 2004-6, unless advised.
    This page was last updated:  06/03/06
    This site is the official site of AFC Hornchurch and any views or opinions expressed on these pages are those of the author,
    and not necessarily of AFC Hornchurch, Webmaster or any other person.

    Also at
    www.urchins.org  / www.urchins.org.uk  / www.hornchurchfc.co.uk / www.hornchurchfc.net / www.afch.co.uk
    buy cialis or generic tadalafil